Author Topic: The stuff of nightmares...  (Read 5392 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
The stuff of nightmares...
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »
A couple of hours into my shift last night I get a little itch on my left ankle. I'm driving so not much I can do about it. It gets a little worse and I get another itch further up the leg and another on the other side of the ankle.
I get to the location I'm going to and when I get inside I pull down my sock and I've got a tick dug in on the ankle. Tiny damn thing. Then I see another, and still another up on my leg and I see 2 or 3 crawlers. I head to the bathroom and strip down. Holy Hell I'm *expletive deleted*ing covered in ticks so tiny I had to use a strong magnifying glass to verify that they were ticks.
I shook out my clothes as best I could and went back to work but I'm now getting itches all over, under my waist band, on my back, up in my beard...
I managed to finish out the night and when I got home I stripped down in the laundry room and headed for the shower with the Flea and tick shampoo.

I don't know where I picked them up but they were the tiniest ticks I've ever encountered. I must have had 30-40 ticks dug in by the time I was able to engage in proper chemical warfare on them.

Yuck.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: The stuff of nightmares...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
Seed ticks?

The dogs pick up a batch occasionally. I've been known to take a dull blade (like a butter knife or the dull edge of a curry blade) and just slide it down against the skin. They pop right out once engorged.

Nasty little *expletive deleted*ers.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:01:59 PM »
Then there is a guy I heard about that had one imbedded inside the head of his penis.

The medics had to draw straws to see who got the pleasure of helping him.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »
Once you've had a few hundred of them on you, they still have the yuck factor, but they become less of a big deal.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 06:03:06 PM »
Nightmares? More like a day in the life of 9-year-old fistful. Shrug. Another reason why cold weather is teh awsum.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JN01

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
You might want to keep an eye out for Lyme's disease symptoms over the next couple weeks: http://www.healthline.com/health/lyme-disease#Description1

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »
As often as I get tick bit I'm either already dead from Lyme disease or I give it symptoms.
I might go 2-3 months out of the year in particularly cold winters where I don't encounter at least one tick bite a week.
I buy my Deep Woods Off by the carton and still manage to find ticks mostly year round.

Last night though was way beyond ordinary.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »
Reminds me of when I was 10 - 11 and we spent our summers at our OLD farm house in the woods of Louisiana. Family tick-pickings were a thing. One year I go to get my pre-school physical and the doc is around "back there" and goes, "uh, you um, seem to, have a, well, tick!" Me: "Well, get it!" Danged city docs...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »
Reminds me of when I was 10 - 11 and we spent our summers at our OLD farm house in the woods of Louisiana. Family tick-pickings were a thing. One year I go to get my pre-school physical and the doc is around "back there" and goes, "uh, you um, seem to, have a, well, tick!" Me: "Well, get it!" Danged city docs...

Summer camp was a revelation to me. All the kids getting ticks and freeking out and I'm like "well, pull it out"  ???

I didn't know you were supposed to freak out over ticks. The things country kids think are normal.  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:52:56 AM »
Now that all the tick bites have had time to show up as little red itchy dots the revised tick bite count is well over 100. Where the hell is my Cortizone10...

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 01:14:47 AM »
Then there is a guy I heard about that had one imbedded inside the head of his penis.

This made me cringe & cross my legs!  :O

Man, oh man, am I glad that ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes do not like to bite me.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
Deer tick?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
This made me cringe & cross my legs!  :O

Man, oh man, am I glad that ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes do not like to bite me.

If I had total body irradiation, would you donate your marrow to fill me back up?

Because if I go outside for ten minutes, I come back in with pink poka dots.  =(

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 02:18:15 PM »
When I was a kid my grandmother would spray our legs down with WD40 after we came in from the pasture. Any attached critter would fall off in a few minutes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 06:22:46 PM »
I recall stories of my brother getting seed ticks somewhere in the woods.  He foot/ankle was covered with them.  I was told my mother used rubbing alcohol and they fell right off.  His foot was a bit swollen for a little while. 

When I was a kid, we lived in Houston and visited my grandmother and hour out of town.  I used to get ticks bite me occasionally.  After we moved out there, I found the occasional tick crawling on me, but rarely got bit.  I have heard eating certain local foods can help.  I am not sure.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 06:25:31 PM »
I have heard eating certain local foods can help

When it comes to ticks I am the local food.

Samuel Adams

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »
Never heard of seed ticks, nor have I seen them that small. Have encountered them occasionally both here and in Africa, but never to any great annoyance. People to get Lyme's fairly frequently here, it seems, so I stay vigilant. But you're talking to the man who wears pants and 8" boots whenever I go cross country. I like to think that helps.

Like Liz, not sure why they are a cause for freaking out for some folks, except maybe the disease factor. If you're a healthy outdoors kid, you'll pick them up.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »
I have heard eating certain local foods can help.

Lol who comes up with crap like this?

Ticks like whatever convienient, warm prey is available. When I lived on the coast we had a serious overabundance of ticks. The local deer population would be absolutely covered with them on every part of the body

Like this but all. *expletive deleted*ing. over.

That *expletive deleted*it was nasty. I went through lots of high concentration DEET and permethrin when I lived on that island.

I didn't know you were supposed to freak out over ticks. The things country kids think are normal

At the last job I had a woman come into the store freaking out after she found a tick on her young daughter on the inner thigh and wanted to know if she needed to go to the ER to remove it

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »

At the last job I had a woman come into the store freaking out after she found a tick on her young daughter on the inner thigh and wanted to know if she needed to go to the ER to remove it

I stumbled on an article about doing outdoor stuff that actually said that you should remove the tick, save it and take it to the doctor to have it tested for disease.

First thing that popped into my head (after laughing at how paranoid some people are) was "Damn, that would get expensive, fast!"

Somehow, I've managed to stay fairly tick and chigger free the past few summers, mostly because I've stayed inside to avoid being eaten alive by the damn skeeters, but even with that, I still get more ticks on me than I could remotely justify taking them in to be tested every time I get bit.
I figure, if I get sick, I'll just tell the doctor to go ahead and just test me for Lyme's disease and save everyone the hassle of testing a *expletive deleted*it ton of ticks.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
I'm not sure why, but there seems to be a strip a few miles wide next to Lake Michigan where there just aren't ticks.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 12:08:11 AM »
If I had total body irradiation, would you donate your marrow to fill me back up?

Because if I go outside for ten minutes, I come back in with pink poka dots.  =(

Of course.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »
I stumbled on an article about doing outdoor stuff that actually said that you should remove the tick, save it and take it to the doctor to have it tested for disease.

First thing that popped into my head (after laughing at how paranoid some people are) was "Damn, that would get expensive, fast!"

And pointless; mosquitoes provide me with at least a few blood transfusions every day for most of the year, and I'm supposed to believe a tick is more dangerous than those?

I've had one on the scrotum before.  Right where everything had to be uncomfortably pulled up to even see it.  After some debating whether to get help with it, (and just who I would ask to help with that, since my GF at the time was out of town) I finally just put axle grease (first thing I spotted that looked like it would seal air away from the skin) over the general area and waited for it to let go.  Hint: if for any reason you end up with a glob of axle grease smeared in your pubic hair, you might as well just shave.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 05:34:18 PM »
And pointless; mosquitoes provide me with at least a few blood transfusions every day for most of the year, and I'm supposed to believe a tick is more dangerous than those?

I've had one on the scrotum before.  Right where everything had to be uncomfortably pulled up to even see it.  After some debating whether to get help with it, (and just who I would ask to help with that, since my GF at the time was out of town) I finally just put axle grease (first thing I spotted that looked like it would seal air away from the skin) over the general area and waited for it to let go.  Hint: if for any reason you end up with a glob of axle grease smeared in your pubic hair, you might as well just shave.

I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »

Goop or GoJo hand-cleaner would take care of something like that with no problem.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 08:06:38 AM »
Goop or GoJo hand-cleaner would take care of something like that with no problem.
Pft. Baking soda, water, and sidewalk shavings for some grit would work so much better than a perfectly affordable and good commercially available option.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.