Author Topic: Home brew color film developing  (Read 791 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Home brew color film developing
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:49:11 PM »
Got a wild hair a month or so back and decided I wanted to try out some color developing at home (C-41)
I'd always been under the impression that it was way too hard to do at home and that the chemicals were to difficult to work with unless you had all the fancy lab stuff.
Turns out that just wasn't true.

Mamiya RB67Pro; Mamiya-Sekor 50mm f5.6C lens; Kodak Ektar 100; Unicolor C-41 powder kit.

I think it came out pretty good.
I've got more but most of them are pretty mundane stuff just working with the camera and film
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
Re: Home brew color film developing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:12:54 PM »
What do you scan with? I have found scanning to be the big issue with color film for me.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:25:38 PM »
I've got an Epson Perfection V600.
They run about $200 most places. 8.5X11 flat bed with built in transparency unit. It comes with film holders for 35mm, 120 and mounted 35mm slides. The film holders are a bit of a weak link but they work even if they are a bit fiddly. There are aftermarket "precision" holders available but for my needs I'm good with OE.
Dust control is my biggest problem. On days when the static cling is high I just put things away and try again later.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 12:14:29 PM »
Weird semi related question. Any good but economic photo printing printers on the market? Or is it just more cost effective to print from either a lab or the interwebz?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 07:23:02 PM »
Weird semi related question. Any good but economic photo printing printers on the market? Or is it just more cost effective to print from either a lab or the interwebz?

Kind of depends on your definition of "economic".
I've got a Canon Pixma Pro-100 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html
I'm pretty happy with it. Biggest drawback is the significant footprint, it is a fairly large machine compared to your standard desktop inkjet printer. Ink is on a par with regular inkjet tanks but it uses 8 different tanks, they do tend to last pretty good. I've had mine over a year now and I'm on the second full set of tanks counting the ones that came with it. I don't do tons of printing but I use if a couple times a week.
If a fellow is only doing a few small prints a month or only a handful of large prints a year you'd probably be better off cost wise having it done either in a lab or off the webz.

Samuel Adams