Author Topic: Some recent B&W photography...again  (Read 1248 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Some recent B&W photography...again
« on: November 26, 2016, 11:22:42 PM »
A few recent shots.

first 2 with Canon AE1 and Delta 3200 taken at sunrise on a foggy morning last week
foggywebs1nwm-003 by lmmiers, on Flickr

foggywebs2nwm-010 by lmmiers, on Flickr

Mamiya RB67 on Delta 400
fall reflections2-400001 by lmmiers, on Flickr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Some recent B&W photography...again
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 08:19:48 AM »
SO nice!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:58:13 AM »
You might enjoy this: http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/art/sadorus/index.html.  An photographer in turn of the last century rural Illinois.  Dig down for the gallery.  When this work was discovered I was living in that area (sort of), and this was local news.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »
I've seen some of this on photography forums, neat stuff.

This snippet is interesting. Some of the chemicals and process with early plate photography were pretty nasty business. I wonder if any of it may have contributed to his early death (54) and to his being committed.

Frank's photographic career was cut short by the death of his father, which led to the sale of the family farm, the moving of the family to town, followed by the commitment of Frank to a mental institution.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
RKL: Great pics!! Love the B&W. Wish I could/would dig up some of my old stuff.......
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »
What are you using to process the film?

FWIW, Freestyle seems to be a lot steadier on stock for the new Rodinal. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12054-Adox-Rodinal-Film-Developer-500-ml

Don't have any of the old to compare directly to, but for both normal and stand developing, it works great.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »
There was a book published at the time, I think by the Champaign (IL) County Historical Society.  G00gle couldn't find it.  Turns out I'd mis-remembered the title.   Upon a Quiet Landscape: The Photographs of Frank Sadorus

(Lots of used copies, I think I'll get one for my Dad.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:05:47 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »
What are you using to process the film?

FWIW, Freestyle seems to be a lot steadier on stock for the new Rodinal. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12054-Adox-Rodinal-Film-Developer-500-ml

Don't have any of the old to compare directly to, but for both normal and stand developing, it works great.

I use several film developers, Ilfosol3, Microphen or D76 depending on what film. I need to get some Rodinal and give it a try.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »
Really good.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
I use several film developers, Ilfosol3, Microphen or D76 depending on what film. I need to get some Rodinal and give it a try.

1:100 stand developing, besides being insanely economical, (and you can even get away with a plain water rinse instead of stop bath, though stop is cheap enough I always used it) also produces some really nice looking landscapes and portraits, it just depends on what you're going for.  YMMV, especially with any film faster than ~ISO800.  Most of mine came from west Texas and southeast New Mexico in August, so 100-400 was plenty.  Google image search for "Rodinal stand developed" should turn up lots of samples.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
I'll likely add some.to my next order. I've read quite a bit about it and want to try it on some 4x5 film this winter.

Samuel Adams