Author Topic: I have fully embraced the Dark(room) Side!  (Read 2736 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
I have fully embraced the Dark(room) Side!
« on: December 02, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »
"The White Truck of Happiness" brought me this little gem yesterday.

20161201_213317 by lmmiers, on Flickr

Toyo 45AX 4X5 folding field camera.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
Re: I have fully embraced the Dark(room) Side!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:47:53 AM »
cool.

Just FYI, you can use cameras in the light too.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »
Camera?  I thought it might be an embiggernator.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 09:03:33 AM »
Lack of a good portable 4x5 has held me back a lot when I travel. The smaller 4x5's fit in a camera bag easily, but you still need a tripod. I am looking at the Fuji 645 cameras as a possible portable camera.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
Camera?  I thought it might be an embiggernator.

Bellows envy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 01:22:58 PM »
I've always regretted selling my Zeiss Ikon 9 X 12 cm folding bellows camera.  Had a film-pack adaptor, 4 film holders, roll-back adaptor.  I still remember the sound of the shutter set to one second: "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzchunk."

Sold it with a whole bunch of accessories, tank, change bag, etc.

Have fun with that one, RKL !  That sure seems like a fast lens.  I think the Zeiss only went down to (up to) f3.8...?

Next thing you know, you'll be buying flash powder for big outdoor and architectural shots.

Foomf!

Terry
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:41:15 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »
Lack of a good portable 4x5 has held me back a lot when I travel. The smaller 4x5's fit in a camera bag easily, but you still need a tripod. I am looking at the Fuji 645 cameras as a possible portable camera.

Have you considered a Speed/Crown Graphic or similar "press" camera?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 02:49:17 PM »
cool.  wifey used one of those in a photography class or two she had, back in college days.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
I've always regretted selling my Zeiss Ikon 9 X 12 cm folding bellows camera.  Had a film-pack adaptor, 4 film holders, roll-back adaptor.  I still remember the sound of the shutter set to one second: "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzchunk."

Sold it with a whole bunch of accessories, tank, change bag, etc.

Have fun with that one, RKL !  That sure seems like a fast lens.  I think the Zeiss only went down to (up to) f3.8...?

Next thing you know, you'll be buying flash powder for big outdoor and architectural shots.

Foomf!

Terry

This one came with 3 Nikor-W lenses in Copal shutters, a 90, 150 and 210. LF lenses aren't usually "fast".

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »
Have you considered a Speed/Crown Graphic or similar "press" camera?

I sold my speed graphic. I found it neither fish nor fowl---way bigger and heavier than a medium format camera, but no usable movements and limiting bellows either. I want a Tachihara.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 05:41:45 PM »
Those are nice cameras and i considered them but i decided i wanted a metal body. Time and experience may change my opinions but for now this fits what i think i want to do with it.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 09:07:55 PM »
Ooops.  Misread the 1:5.6.  

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 11:13:31 AM »
For view cameras I had Linhoff and, then later, Horseman. The Linhoffs were beautifully made.

I had that same Nikkor 210. I used that lens more than any other

I miss photography.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 11:37:05 AM »
For view cameras I had Linhoff and, then later, Horseman. The Linhoffs were beautifully made.

I miss photography.

So far I'm very happy with this camera Managed to take two pictures yesterday. Really wanted to get out and take some shots in daylight but the weather isn't wanting to cooperate so I just took some pictures of dead flowers to go through the steps.
I really enjoy the whole process- Load the film holders- set up the camera- set up the shot-take the shot-unload the film and develop.
I watch hours worth of "how to" for handling sheet film, seems much easier to me than what some folks make it out to be.
Maybe tomorrow the stars will align and I can mix up some Dektol and see if I can make a print from a 4x5 negative.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 11:38:01 AM »

I miss photography.

Sig Sauer in NH is looking for a photographer.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
Sig Sauer in NH is looking for a photographer.

That would be a long commute.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 11:24:14 PM »
Not a particularly great image but it is my first ever large format picture taken with my new camera.
The subject is a dead and dried up Mothers Day flower arrangement the kids got my wife. I've used it for a test subject several times.

1st4x5print by lmmiers, on Flickr

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 09:03:09 AM »
That ribbon reminded me of the "first" color photograph:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Tartan_Ribbon.jpg

The first color photograph made by the three-color method suggested by James Clerk Maxwell in 1855, taken in 1861 by Thomas Sutton. The subject is a colored ribbon, usually described as a tartan ribbon.

After I figured out all the details of sheet film, including reloading film holders in a change bag, the only problem I had was trying to cut 4 X 5" sheets into 9 X 12 cm sheets in the darkroom with no safe light.

Discovered that apparently, the friction of cutting them with a cutting board created microscopic sparks which were visible on the developed negative.  Not too bad, but they were there.

Pain in the arse anyhow, since you had to set up the cutting board for one cut, put the film in a safe box, turn on the lights, reset the stop on the cutting board, then repeat for the other edge of the film.

That was when 9 X 12 sheet film was getting scarce as rattlesnake feathers in this country.

I used the rollback adaptor for a while, but it was not like the full-sized sheets at all.  Sort of like driving an eight-cylinder car that was only running on 6 cylinders.

Terry