Author Topic: Global warming or climate change?  (Read 6569 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Global warming or climate change?
« on: January 16, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »
Global warming or climate change?
WorldNetDaily Exclusive Commentary
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59697

Maybe it's the weather  cold.

Maybe it's the season  winter.

Maybe it's the year  election.

Or, maybe it's a case of hedging one's bets.

But I've noticed a not-so-subtle shift in the rhetoric from those who would like to do away with private property, nation-states, freedom, the rule of law, the will of the people and all the other essentials of self-government  people like Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and other great scientific minds.

They're not talking about global warming any more.

They're talking about "climate change."

The power grabbers and money grubbers who have been selling the notion that man's activity on the planet is heating it up are changing their tune.

We're not hearing nearly as much about catastrophic, manmade global warming this month.

Gee, I wonder why?

Let's see.

On Dec. 4, in Seoul, South Korea, the temperature was a record minus 5 degrees Celsius.

On Nov. 24, in Meacham, Ore., the low temperature was 12 degrees Fahrenheit  colder than the previous record low set in 1952.

South America this year experienced one of its coldest winters in decades. In Buenos Aires, snow fell for the first time since the year 1918. In Peru, 200 people died from the cold and thousands more became infected with respiratory diseases. Crops failed, livestock perished, and the Peruvian government declared a state of emergency.

This week, it snowed in Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

It's hard, with a straight face, to blame these conditions on global warming, though the Kool-Aid drinkers among those who would remake the world in their own hopelessly humanistic and self-centered image will try.

More dramatic by far than any detectable warming of the atmosphere and oceans are the new word games played by the eco-freaks at the United Nations who have dubbed Jan. 23  next Wednesday  "World Cooling Day."

Somehow, I doubt they will be celebrating with much enthusiasm in South America.

But think about the real absurdity of fighting "climate change"  the new apocalyptic menace.

As a political ax, it can't be beat. Any variation in the weather represents a reason for controlling human behavior by any means necessary and to any extent necessary.

In a few years, it will be evident to one and all they have been hoaxed by the doomsday salesmen about global warming. But there will always be shifts in the weather. And any time we experience those shifts that have occurred from the beginning of the world, there will be justification for draconian actions by government.

People will be blamed when it's hot. People will be blamed when it's cold. Ritual sacrifices will be required by the high priests of the climate-change religion either way.

The whole program would almost be ludicrously funny if the Congress and president of the United States hadn't recently agreed to ban the production and sale of the incandescent light bulb as a step toward halting "climate change."

It's not funny when freedom is at stake.

The rules of this game will no doubt continue to change.

That's because the predetermined outcome of the game is what is important to the rule-makers.

It's about control  absolute control. It's about power  absolute power. It's about the ends justifying the means.

It's about a big lie  perhaps the biggest lie ever told.

The stakes are huge.

There is only one thing that can save us from the bondage that will inevitably result from the spread of this climate-change zealotry.

It is the truth.

If you want to hold on to your property, your country and your freedom, spread it far and wide.

HankB

• friend
Re: Global warming or climate change?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »
Hey!  The ice cap is melting putting more ice into the water which it cools and the cooler water causes the warming.  Cool is the new warm, dontcha know. rolleyes
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »
The first Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was formed in...

wait for it...

wait for it...

First report issued in 1990.

"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:10:07 PM »
As with the 'global cooling' canard, trying to play three-card monte with the language (we heard Time used this word or made this claim, so clearly that was the scientific terminology/consensus of the time...) just makes the wingnuts look pathetic and dishonest.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:13:22 AM »
Yes, they have been talking global warming for quite a while.

Didn't they make predictions then about what the temperatures would be now? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:48 AM »
"They" who?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »
Well, "they" is normally always the media or the politicos when talking about technical issues.  The scientists and engineers rarely say anything worth mentioning.  Cheesy

That is sort of the primary problem with the whole climate change issue. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
according to Algore, the damage is irreversible, so who cares??

Read "State of Fear", by Michael Crichton.  good eco-idiot whacking goodness and badguys that drive Priuses

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
That guy who wrote Jurassic Park done told 'im, eh?

Well, "they" is normally always the media or the politicos when talking about technical issues.
If you admit that what the media and politicos say is worthless - why bring it up?

Which is why I referred to the language the IPCC has been using since 1988 - there's hardly been a 'shift in terminology' between climate change and global warming.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
Got three more inches of global warming due tonight on top of the 12 inches at the beginning of the week.

Someone get ALGORE to come help shovel all this global warming.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »
The first Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was formed in...

So what's that prove? A few pointy headed geeks call it "climate change" yet most of the media and the big mouth tree huggers have been shouting "Global Warming" for years.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
So what's that prove? A few pointy headed geeks call it "climate change"
What it proves is that the premise of the, uh, 'article' - that everyone called it global warming and has switched to 'climate change' because it's cold - is patently false. The term has always been 'climate change' and warming is one aspect of that change.

(ironically, one of these 'pointy headed geeks' was on NPR yesterday stating that his group's findings tag 2007 as the hottest year on record...)

yet most of the media and the big mouth tree huggers have been shouting "Global Warming" for years.
The media has been calling it global warming, yes. So what? The media latches on to easy buzzwords. Global warming sells papers, climate change is more complicated and confusing.

But climate change has always been the issue and will continue to be the issue in the future.

Who are these "big mouth tree huggers" anyway? Are they separate from the people who implemented the IPCC? You got stats to back up your claim that they called it 'global warming' rather than 'climate change'?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »
Who are these "big mouth tree huggers" anyway? Are they separate from the people who implemented the IPCC? You got stats to back up your claim that they called it 'global warming' rather than 'climate change'?

Don't you have a TV in your cave? Pffft.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 05:26:10 PM »
So you got nothing, eh?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »
He has as much as you do.  You probably got him beat in smugness though.  Cheesy

I brought up past predictions in a similar vane to your bringing up that old report.  This issue has been discussed and researched for quite a while and they still are not much further along in proving anything.  They just have more data and have shown the whole system is much more complex than they thought it was. 

And you and I may like the idea of dismissing what the media and the politicos say, but those guys often have some influence over govt actions that directly affect me.  So if they are doing crazy things like repeating fear mongering about short term disaster, I do get a little concerned. 

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 06:02:01 PM »
So you got nothing, eh?

What can I say, you got me there....and I never said the IPCC called it global warming, although they may have. But then, thats not what this is about.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AccuWeather.com: Global Warming News, Science, Myths, Articles
AccuWeather.com's global warming center offers a daily blog of news related ... with
the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) prediction for the ...
global-warming.accuweather.com/ - 138k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Key players react to the IPCC global warming report
A collection of statements from from around the world  including environmental advocates and oil companies.

Assessments: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
Video: Global warming faster than expected -- report. Report (dtd 22 Jan 2001) from Canada's CBC. The IPCC's Third Assessment Report: A Clearer Picture, ...
www.usgcrp.gov/usgcrp/links/ipcc.htm

Report says global warming very likely man-made, to continue 'for ...
IPCC REPORT FINDINGS. A brief look at the main findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report:. THE CAUSE: Global warming is "very likely" ...
www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/globalwarming/2007-02-01-ipcc-report_x.htm - 48k -

Key players react to the IPCC global warming report | csmonitor.com
A collection of statements from from around the world  including environmental advocates and oil companies.
www.csmonitor.com/2007/0208/p25s01-sten.html - 74k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

IPCC Report Says Global Warming Already Affecting Earth ...
In February, the IPCC released a report that said for the first time that global warming is very likely man-made. The new report said that shifting ...
www.environmentalleader.com/2007/04/06/ipcc-report-says-global-warming-already-affecting-earth/ - 34k -

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Reports 2007 ...
Global warming is the greatest threat to wildlife today. ... The IPCC Working Group III Report, released May 4, 2007, outlines how choices made now by ...
www.nwf.org/wildlifeandglobalwarming/ipcc.cfm - 23k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Q&A: The IPCC report on global warming | The Guardian | Guardian ...
Q&A: The IPCC report on global warming. Hilary Osborne and David Adam Friday February 2, 2007 Guardian Unlimited. The report the UN's Intergovernmental ...
www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2004771,00.html - 45k -

Findings of the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report: Climate Change Science
The IPCC now displays greater confidence in the so-called equilibrium climate sensitivity test, which estimates the global average surface warming following ...
www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/ipcc-highlights1.html - 57k -

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
Science The IPCC: Who Are They and Why Do Their Climate Reports Matter? ..... Contents. Global Warming 101. A Target for U.S. Emissions Reductions ...
www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/the-ipcc.html - 58k - undecided

International Group Issues Global Warming Report | LiveScience
The final IPCC report is the clearest and most comprehensive scientific statement to date on the impact of global warming mainly caused by man-induced ...
www.livescience.com/environment/070406_ap_GW_report.html - 34k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

IPCC Global Warming Report
IPCC Global Warming Report. Recently the Fourth Assessment Report of the United Nation's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was issued. ...
www.amlibpub.com/essays/ipcc-global-warming-report.html - 25k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

U.N. Global Warming Report Sternly Warns Against Inaction ...
The report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will be key .... Continuous reports on the science and politics of global warming. ...
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/16/AR2007111602053.html - Similar pages - Note this

A Last Warning on Global Warming - TIME
Global warming is "unequivocal." Climate change will bring "abrupt and irreversible ... The report, a synthesis for politicians culled from three other IPCC ...
www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1685199,00.html - 40k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Climate Change : Questions on Climate Change
Read also the new edition 2007 IPCC Assessment Report on Climate Change ... Are recent extreme weather events due to global warming? ...
www.greenfacts.org/studies/climate_change/ - 22k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

IPCC Synthesis Report: Risks And Rewards Of Combating Climate Change
The fourth IPCC report raises serious concerns of species extinction as well as ... Consensus of scientists regarding global warming ? Scientific opinion on ...
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071119122043.htm - 53k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Climate Change Irreversible? United Nations Chief Urges ...
17 found that global warming is unequivocal and could cause irreversible damage ... United Nations Chief Urges Breakthrough After Dire IPCC Report Released ...
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071118081601.htm - 49k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Will New IPCC Report on Global Warming Push Nuclear Power?
Will New IPCC Report on Global Warming Push Nuclear Power?
environment.about.com/b/2007/05/04/new-ipcc-report-on-global-warming-expected-to-push-nuclear-power.htm - 25k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Global Warming - Global Warming is Unstoppable and Humans are to ...
A: In the strongest language ever used by the IPCC, the report says that human activity very likely has been the primary cause of global warming since ...
environment.about.com/od/globalwarming/a/ipcc_report.htm - 28k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

IPCC Fourth Assessment Report: The Pew Center on Global Climate Change
According to the IPCC, the report from Working Group I on the science of climate ... About the IPCC. In 1988, recognizing the problem of global warming, ...
www.pewclimate.org/global-warming-basics/ipcc.cfm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

IPCC: Global Warming Highway To Extinction
IPCC: Global Warming Highway To Extinction Written by: BayouBuzz Staff ... Dr Weaver is one of the lead authors of the first IPCC report, issued in February ...
www.bayoubuzz.com/News/World/Politics/IPCC_Global_Warming_Highway_To_Extinction__3305.asp - 44k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

FOXNews.com - U.N. Report: Global Warming Man-Made, Basically ...
1: The Eiffel Tower, about to go dark for five minutes in recognition of the IPCC report on global warming, officially released the next morning. ...
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249659,00.html - 53k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Does that work for ya?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »
It's easy enough to dismiss a published author when you're a seasoned forum ninja...

You're right, climate change is true!!  We call it weather, and it has it's own website (www.weather.com)  "Weather" around here usually changes 4 times a year. We can those Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.  rolleyes

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »
You're right, climate change is true!!  We call it weather,
um, you realize that climate and weather aren't the same thing, right?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
What can I say, you got me there....and I never said the IPCC called it global warming, although they may have.
They didn't call 'it' global warming.

Global warming is one function of climate change. As I've repeatedly said.

But then, thats not what this is about.
Yes, it is about 'that.'

The article claims that all those dastardly do-gooder environmentalist tree-hugging hippie Stalinists are changing their tune from 'global warming' to 'climate change' because it's cold and clearly they're wrong and global warming was the standard parlance, etc. etc. etc..

Problem is, every last bit of that is simply untrue.

To reiterate the last post: climate and weather still aren't the same thing. Global warming doesn't mean snow is going to stop in New Hampshire immediately. I will admit that I'm never sure if the anti-science crowd actually believes their line on this aspect, or if they're playing dumb. (One wonders if the same folks will suddenly understand the difference when Phoenix/Bakersfield/Chicago/wherever experiences a record heat wave in August?)

Climate change has always been the description of what is being studied, as I've repeatedly illustrated - it is not a new development to avoid saying 'warming.'

And, of course, climate scientists maintain (even in the face of such damning arguments as 'gosh, it sure is cold outside, Ed') that warming remains the current trend.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »
 Climate change is real!
Last July, it was warm in Wyoming. This January it was cold
in Wyoming!
Dick Cheney is from Wyoming!
This indisputably proves that 911 was an inside job and the
bilderbergers are mining the Bering strait of Hermuz!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 10:17:17 PM »
Climate Change, Global Warming, whatever you want to call it, for some reason I liked last winters record warm lows to this winters record cold lows.   Yes, in December 2007 we did have a number of record lows, as well as days cooler than 2006,

In addition to the increase in unit price, there was a 10% increase in our use of natural gas, that I contribute to the decrease in temperatures this year.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 05:51:34 AM »
Got three more inches of global warming due tonight on top of the 12 inches at the beginning of the week.

Someone get ALGORE to come help shovel all this global warming.

If I'm reading this correctly, you have bovine excrement falling from the sky and accumulating where you live?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 05:55:37 AM »
-12 on the thermometer at 0600.  It's supposed to reach a high of -1 later this afternoon. Plenty of friggin' globular worming going on in my neck of the woods.   rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 05:58:16 AM »
I think it's a combination of global change and climate warming.

Thanks for the weather update, Gew. If your neck of the woods ever becomes indicative of the nature of the entire worldwide climate, we'll put a statue up at your house commemorating your invention of globalcasting.  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.