Author Topic: Foodies, I need cookbook gift ideas  (Read 4132 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Foodies, I need cookbook gift ideas
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 10:11:22 PM »
My wife and I are at the age in which the peers of our children are starting to get married.  If the couple likes to cook at all, or would like to learn about cooking, our standard wedding gift is two cookbooks: How to Cook Everything, by Mark Bittman, (as I mentioned earlier) and the New York Times Cookbook.  HTCE is an excellent cooking primer while the NYTC is a little bit more advanced but still has some very good basic recipes and instructional techniques.  If we are giving one cookbook, for the relative non-foodie couples, it is HTCE.

On a side note, we find it interesting and somewhat horrifying as to how few young people cook nowadays.  We have always enjoyed cooking and eating well, and thank goodness that our kids picked that up.  When my youngest left for college a couple of months ago, her roommates thought she was Julia Child since she knew how to make an omelet.  The roommates are at the Top Ramen and frozen burrito stage.  

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:52:47 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:46 PM »
I highly recommend Jamie Oliver's books
The Naked Chef
and Cook with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook
would be my suggestions, but most of his are good.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 12:27:17 AM »
Some appliances come with cookbooks . . .

http://www.hulu.com/watch/19046/saturday-night-live-bassomatic

And of course, cooking information is available on video, too . . .

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3523/saturday-night-live-the-french-chef

SNL French Chef skits take on a whole new meaning now that I know Julia Child was a member of the OSS.  Somehow I think she was a bit handier with a knife than portrayed:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121910345904851347.html
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 01:31:54 AM »
Millcreek, I think a lot of that has to do with how many people simply don't cook at all anymore.  My mother-in-law heats things up from time to time and actually cooks a full meal maybe a half-dozen times a year.  I have never known my father-in-law to prepare any kind of foodstuff more involved that a bologna sandwich (not fried, cold).  When they eat at home, they toss an animal protein--pre-cut chicken breasts or pre-cut salmon fillets into foil and throw it on a propane grill.  They open up a bag of salad, and that's dinner. 

We've figured out that if we are going to their home for a meal we have to eat first and bring snacks.  Nothing against them, at least not in this regard--they are mostly sedentary middle-aged people; I'm fairly athletic and have been lactating or pregnant or both for over four years now--just an illustration of how little importance they give to food and its proper preparation and service.  Meals are over inside of ten minutes.

I've learned a whole lot about cooking, but already knew about eating.  I was raised with a bizarre and kind of cool melding of middle-America+Ashkenazi Jewish folk cooking, where the folk part modifies both the American and the Jewish.  I was also raised poor, and the kind of poor most Americans don't know from.  We weren't completely dirt-broke most of the time, but because of the high cost of kosher food, we were food poor.  The idea of making chili without beans is completely foreign to me, and a chuck steak serves at least six.

But, we had dinner every night.  We had formal feasts twice a week.  When my family eats, it takes at least an hour or so, and can last all afternoon or evening, and every time we show up (well, now, after those fun years of them not speaking to Ian) the table is set, tablecloth and all, and my mother starts cooking.  The first time I cooked an Easter dinner I think I weirded Ian out a little bit.  He was not remotely prepared for my idea of a festive meal, which involved four course totaling about ten dishes, every fancy wedding gift serving platter pressed into service, all of our friends invited, and each dish having some symbolism relating to Easter in some way.  I didn't do it that well, but for me, it seemed the minimum one could or should do for something so momentous as our first Easter in our home. 

For a long, long time, I luxuriated in the awesomeness of the cheap food that normal America gets.  Meat that is six or seven bucks a pound for nice cuts, a whole block of decent cheese for three bucks!  Astonishing.  Way overdid it for a long time on the stuff I couldn't have as a kid.  Twenty years of waiting all week for those three bites of real beef on the sabbath (as opposed to ground beef, which we had on weekdays from time to time) can really create one heck of a long-term craving for the stuff. 

Now we're evening out a little, getting more balanced.  We've started eating veggie meals from time to time, for no reason other than it helps keep us thinking about food and helps us avoid falling into the really boring meat+starch+vegetable=meal trap.  My in-laws do think we're nutty to put this much thought into food, especially considering everything else we have going on in our lives, but I just cannot imagine a life where dried-out chicken breasts, pre-cut and packaged, are one's major form of nutrition, to be cooked and consumed in the space of about five minutes.  That's just a travesty. 

That doesn't make me a good cook, which I'm not, but all of it does give me and apparently now Ian, the motivation to learn to cook properly when he was raised without anything beyond quickie cream-of-X soup casseroles and scalped chicken breasts. 

Wow, that was thread-drifty.   :lol:

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 10:45:16 AM »
Today's younger generation eats at fast food places........and.......it shows..........Go to a Barnes & Noble or a Border's, or such book store.  They have whole sections on cookbooks......chris3

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 12:20:48 AM »
Reed College alumni have resurrected The Impoverished Students' Book of Cookery, Drinkery, & Housekeepery.  I haven't laid eyes on it for decades, recall it being more fun than useful, but am ordering for several friends and family for the gag value.

(Yes, "gag' is very much a double entendre!)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:24:01 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »
Well, I got him a copy of How to Cook Everything (Bittman) and I'm Just Here for the Food (Alton Brown).  Bought them locally, so it cost me more than I'd estimated.  I think Amazon must have been selling Brown in paperback, because their regular price was a LOT less than what I paid, but if I can suffer through fewer failed attempts at real cooking, it will be worth it.

Not that I'd give a gift solely for my own benefit, but, well,

A couple weeks ago he decided to get out my old Betty Crocker cookbook and make a really puffy omelet.  He didn't know what cream of tartar is, just that it recommended using some to increase fluffiness.  He used about three times as much as was warranted, and served an omelet completely coated in acidic grit.  I think that these two cookbooks will strongly discourage any major mistakes along those lines. 

Oh, and I also ordered him a "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal" t-shirt.  $29 for a freaking $16 dollar t-shirt.  Fat man surcharge plus UPS shipping.   :mad: