Author Topic: The BBQ is Getting Away!  (Read 6793 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: The BBQ is Getting Away!
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »
Please educate me where there is any controversy here.

The NPS is all about image and numbers.  Ma and Pa Peoria don't take the trip of a lifetime to Yellow-mf-Stone to see  burned up buffalo.  
The Park Service's job is to make everything there look like the reverse of a 1935 nickel.

Would the woodies have mobilized to off the buff if this was photographed, say 75 miles north in Gallatin N.F.?  
I guess not.  Because the visitor numbers and income and coffee mug sales are a bit lower in GNF.

Recall the old federal "Let it burn" policy pre-1990.  All it took was the west entry of Jellystone to get scorched and that doctrine got adjusted right quick - never mind the actual biological advantages of occasionally letting ma' nature do her thing.  The National Parks aren't about nature.  They're about prettiness.  My comment was merely a reflection on the inconsistency in the management practices between agencies and departments within the fed.gov.  Nothing more.  

I hate to see animals suffer.  Regardless of what caused it.  Nature can be cruel.  I've had dogs put down.  I've killed injured animals.  In the case of the BBQ Buffalo the process of natural selection was circumvented.

No one here was in on the post-mortem, but all I see is some raw skin on the buff.  Would it have survived?  We will never know.
It hauled itself out of boiling sulfur-water.  
It got away from a grizzly bear

Allow me to butcher Nietzsche while honoring Darwin - "That what did not kill it didn't get a chance to make it stronger"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:50:15 AM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 09:47:35 AM »
Ummmm....

In panick mode any animal can do stuff even when its pretty much already dead.

How do you know the rangers didn't find it holed up somewhere, down and not much longer for this world?

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »
How do you know the rangers didn't find it holed up somewhere, down and not much longer for this world?

The same way you don't know if they shot behind the packhorse barn while it was eating out of the hay bin.
The animal's health and condition are all supposition.  Until we get 3rd party verification of the official gvt report it will remain supposition.
Heck, the photo series is so sublime, I'd be unsurprised to learn it was photo-shopped.

I DO know the way the NPS operates.  They need things pretty, un-offensive, and profitable.
My comment was merely a reflection on the inconsistency in the management practices between agencies and departments within the fed.gov.  Nothing more. 

Introspectively, this speaks to a deeper metaphor. 

Mankind is drawn to root for the underdog.  The buff was a survivor.  It got away from two death cards.
The fires of hell (hotspring) and the maraudering ultra predator, striking fear into the hearts of every outdoorsman - Ursus horribilis.

It was caught on film.  The whole world was cheering "Horray!"
The buff got away.
Nope. 
Smokey the bear shot and killed it.

7-11 was a part time job.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »

I DO know the way the NPS operates.  They need things pretty, un-offensive, and profitable.

QFT. 

Funny enough, the people who seem to "love" nature the most don't understand how mean nature is.  Its not fair that the wounded bison is going to die a miserable death, or suffer.  (Nevermind that being torn apart by a bear is pretty miserable)
Nature isn't natural to most people for some odd reason.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
the nps used to make a big show of darting problem  bears. then loading em on a net and hauling them out under a chopper to be "relocated"  the relocation was from several hundred feet up onto the rocks where no one could see.  they caught heck when that leaked out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 04:05:51 AM »

QFT. 

Funny enough, the people who seem to "love" nature the most don't understand how mean nature is.  Its not fair that the wounded bison is going to die a miserable death, or suffer.  (Nevermind that being torn apart by a bear is pretty miserable)

QFT

Most people think that nature is a Disney movie, all Bambi and Thumper.  Nope, sorry boys and girls, Nature is activity trying to kill every-living-thing, including you.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 05:36:02 AM »
QFT

Most people think that nature is a Disney movie, all Bambi and Thumper.  Nope, sorry boys and girls, Nature is activity trying to kill every-living-thing, including you.
This.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 06:19:13 AM »

QFT. 

So true.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.