Author Topic: Can Anyone ID this Weapon?  (Read 7060 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Can Anyone ID this Weapon?
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
I knew what that was the moment I saw it. FNH pepperball gun. I saw them in use in Boston.

Yup.  Too bad back in '04 BPD proved (unfortunately) that "less than lethal" means "sometimes lethal" with that weapon (kenmore square, emerson student).

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »
Hence the name change to Less Lethal. They can be lethal, but they are less likely to be lethal than say a faceful of buckshot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 10:36:33 PM »
Hence the name change to Less Lethal. They can be lethal, but they are less likely to be lethal than say a faceful of buckshot.

True. Brings up an interesting point, when it comes to center of mass hits, the fastest stops are actually with less than lethal (taser)...bullets take a while to stop someone (again, center of mass) compared to a taser. (note: in most cases, I.e. The average time to arrest someones forward progress or progress toward a response action).  Of course, a 300gr SMK at 2800fps to the T-zone is probably the fastest overall.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 05:59:17 PM »
Doesn't surprise me that the reporter got it wrong.  Regarding most technology, they wouldn't know sheep poop from apple butter.  Most seem to wear such ignorance as a sign of moral enlightenment.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »
Doesn't surprise me that the reporter got it wrong.  Regarding most technology, they wouldn't know sheep poop from apple butter.  Most seem to wear such ignorance as a sign of moral enlightenment.

True, but really can this one BE more wrong?
Reporter: American {made} submachine gun {firearm} {lethal} {full auto}

When it is:
Belgian (not American)
Less than lethal (not "lethal")
CO2 powered (not a firearm)
Semi-automatic (not full auto)

Just...wow

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 11:47:34 PM »
Still; not surprising. Expected, in fact.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »
True. Brings up an interesting point, when it comes to center of mass hits, the fastest stops are actually with less than lethal (taser)...bullets take a while to stop someone (again, center of mass) compared to a taser. (note: in most cases, I.e. The average time to arrest someones forward progress or progress toward a response action).  Of course, a 300gr SMK at 2800fps to the T-zone is probably the fastest overall.
Not to start another caliber/stopping power discussion, but "it depends" seems to be an appropriate response. 

- Tasers can be effective if the target isn't shielded from the electricity. 
- The term center-of-mass has always bothered me. The center of what mass?  The center of a human mass is nearer the naval than the upper chest, which would decrease the effectiveness of the wound.
- A true CNS shot will stop someone nearly instantly, but those shots are difficult to make on demand and under pressure.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »

Yep, took some Journalism and mass-comm as some fill-in for my gen-ed credits in college. Not surprised.

I promise not to duck.