Author Topic: I'm entitled and my parents are poopyheads  (Read 4135 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
I'm entitled and my parents are poopyheads
« on: July 21, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »
http://pjmedia.com/parenting/2015/07/21/she-blew-90k-her-grandparents-gave-her-for-college-and-then-blamed-her-parents/

Pretty much says it all.  But just so you don't miss the fun:

[My parents] said there was nothing they could do for me. They’re not being honest with me saying they don’t have [money] because my dad has worked for like a million years and they have a retirement account.

I'll let you discover the stuff about spring break and Europe.

She's too old to be made to sit in the corner or be sent to her room without supper but apparently she's not old enough to live with the consequences of her behavior.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: I'm entitled and my parents are poopyheads
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
My parents] said there was nothing they could do for me. They’re not being honest with me saying they don’t have [money] because my dad has worked for like a million years and they have a retirement account.

Wow.

They must be so proud.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:25:34 PM »
Given that she made it 3 years in before blowing the $90k, current college costs and whatnot, I figure she came out of her lesson mighty cheap.  She'll need a few loans to get the final year in, but figuring that she didn't pick a completely useless major(surprisingly few of those), she's good.

The college fund I got from my grandparents was about $5k.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
I'm guessing that even if her parents had given her "budget lessons", she'd still be in the same predicament. Budget lessons are not what she needs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:27 PM »
Given that she made it 3 years in before blowing the $90k, current college costs and whatnot, I figure she came out of her lesson mighty cheap.  She'll need a few loans to get the final year in, but figuring that she didn't pick a completely useless major(surprisingly few of those), she's good.

The college fund I got from my grandparents was about $5k.

That was about mine and I'll admit, I blew it more than I spent it wisely. I certainly didn't blame my parents, nor did I expect any sympathy from them.

The bit that gets me is her dad has worked for "like a million years". Yeah, you little twit, he worked his butt off and saved that money, despite paying your way for 18 *expletive deleted*ing years. It's his and he's certainly going to need it, since obviously he won't be able to depend on your dumb ass for help when he can't work anymore.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
Even if she was taking loans out to pay for school and living off the $90k, that's not horribly bad. Ok, in an online hit piece, it sounds bad and maybe it is. But blowing $30k a year with no job isn't great, but it's not insanely horrible either. Yes, budgeting is important. Yes, get a job.

Honestly do wish HS has at least one "real life" class per year. Simple car or home repairs, budgeting, etc.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:07:57 AM »
So her father has worked for "like a million years" and that's apparently good, because she thinks she should be able to co-opt his retirement fund to replenish her wasted college fund, but the notion that SHE work is "embarrassing."

I think it's the parents who should be embarrassed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 07:33:10 AM »
Articles like this inspire me to discipline well my toddlers, so they don't grow up into adult toddlers. Also, I really wish the age of adulthood was more like 14,so I could kick them out right about the time they think they are smarter than me.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »
if you read the whole thing, you'll see that she apparently is getting something of a clue.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
Articles like this inspire me to discipline well my toddlers, so they don't grow up into adult toddlers. Also, I really wish the age of adulthood was more like 14,so I could kick them out right about the time they think they are smarter than me.

For adolescents that feel that they can function on their own (if only they could legally enter into contracts) there is the concept of "emancipated minor".  Here in Va anybody who marries, with parental permission, under the age of 18 is, by virtue of that marriage, considered emancipated.  Juvie Court judges used to declare it for certain kids - usually the Royal PITA sort - but a lawsuit kiboshed that because there was no law specifically giving them the power to do so.  A work-around was quickly developed - place the kid in foster care and approve an independent living placement.  The only real expense the  state incurs is whatever Medicaid the kid uses, plus a supervision check on how the kid is doing every 90 days.  Failure in that placement is dealt with by placement in a home for adults.*

stay safe.

* - I highly recommend taking kids past one on their birthday every year beginning when they reach 11.  Explain why it's there, and let them see the residents.  Inform them that if they don't grow up able to care for themselves and fly straight it is more likely they will end up there than in jail/prison.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »
When the kids were younger we would threaten them with sending them to "Juvenile Hall" when they would misbehave or start getting too mouthy. They didn't believe such a place existed.
When we were still in Norfolk the wife and I had both had a belly full of their crap one day so we loaded them in a van and took a ride. Right down to Juvenile Hall in Norfolk.
Kids couldn't see the building from their seats in the back of the van. We pulled in and opened the side door and told them to come on. They got one look at the rather imposing building with big bronze letters across the front of it -JUVENILE HALL- and just would not get out of the van. Their behavior improved tremendously for several months after that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »
figuring that she didn't pick a completely useless major(surprisingly few of those),

The right person can make any degree useless.  I'm often amused at how many of our current and former sales reps had MBA and at least one other degree on their resume that should have been worth a lot more than they could get selling for us.  (AFAIK, our best sales rep isn't quite making $200k.)  Two even had JD on there, which really makes me wonder how they ended up (unsuccessfully) doing commission sales.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »
Any bets on her major?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 05:00:29 PM »
Any bets on her major?

Probably finance, given the quality of education lately.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »
The right person can make any degree useless.  I'm often amused at how many of our current and former sales reps had MBA and at least one other degree on their resume that should have been worth a lot more than they could get selling for us.  (AFAIK, our best sales rep isn't quite making $200k.)  Two even had JD on there, which really makes me wonder how they ended up (unsuccessfully) doing commission sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcoDV0dhWPA
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »
When the kids were younger we would threaten them with sending them to "Juvenile Hall" when they would misbehave or start getting too mouthy. They didn't believe such a place existed.
When we were still in Norfolk the wife and I had both had a belly full of their crap one day so we loaded them in a van and took a ride. Right down to Juvenile Hall in Norfolk.
Kids couldn't see the building from their seats in the back of the van. We pulled in and opened the side door and told them to come on. They got one look at the rather imposing building with big bronze letters across the front of it -JUVENILE HALL- and just would not get out of the van. Their behavior improved tremendously for several months after that.
And I'm sure they'll remember this experience . . . especially when they're choosing a nursing home for you.   :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
if you read the whole thing, you'll see that she apparently is getting something of a clue.

???

I didn't see that at all.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 07:14:16 PM »
???

I didn't see that at all.

After her whining, she mentions that she's getting a job, applying for loans, etc...  She tried to get her parents to cough up, they wouldn't, not even co-signing on loans and such unless she fulfilled certain conditions.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 09:26:21 PM »

After her whining, she mentions that she's getting a job, applying for loans, etc...  She tried to get her parents to cough up, they wouldn't, not even co-signing on loans and such unless she fulfilled certain conditions.

She may get a job, but she'll be constantly complaining about how little it pays for all the "hard work she puts into it". Or, quite likely, she won't stay employed for long...because work is "hard"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
The following do not suggest clue getting:

I know they’re trying to teach me a lesson and blah, blah, blah and character building but, like, I hope they realize [working part-time] could have such a negative effect on my grades and as a person.

The show’s co-host tries to be helpful and suggests maybe Kim could work to pay her upcoming school bill, you know, like millions of other Americans do.

“You could get a job for the school …maybe the cafeteria’s hiring,” he said.

What was Kim’s response?  ”That’s embarrassing.”

I didn't see anything in the article to suggest that her royal highness was actually even considering demeaning her pristine self by resorting to ... work.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 11:15:18 PM »
I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for. Her, her parents, or whoever she shacks up with in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »
I didn't see anything in the article to suggest that her royal highness was actually even considering demeaning her pristine self by resorting to ... work.

Ah, I see the problem - the one linked here chopped off like half the article.

Try this more complete one:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-college-student-blows-inheritance-bert-show-205833329.html

I'm not saying that she doesn't still have a long ways to go, just that there's hope.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 03:00:09 AM »
Ah, I see the problem - the one linked here chopped off like half the article.

Try this more complete one:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-college-student-blows-inheritance-bert-show-205833329.html

I'm not saying that she doesn't still have a long ways to go, just that there's hope.

There are three possible interpretations of the following:

“I feel like I’m back at square one,” she said. “I’m hustling to do this and to make this work.”

I'm going with the most positive possibility only because I don't think she has the smarts at this time for either of the other two.

stay safe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 04:31:14 AM »
In a way she is a reflection of America. Gifted something beautiful, let it go to waste, "others" to blame for own predicaments.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »

Average income for lawyer-critter in private practice is $25k/year.  Even assuming they are oily enough to wrangle another $25k of income they spend on their own selves by way of their business, that is still just $50k.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton