Author Topic: They're Dropping Like Flies in the Dominican Republic  (Read 2098 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
They're Dropping Like Flies in the Dominican Republic
« on: June 19, 2019, 07:37:52 PM »
Anyone else keeping up with this? People (mostly Americans) are dying at Dominican Republic resorts. I just saw the DR gov is blasting it all as "fake news", but there sure are a lot of deaths.

One of the more plausible explanations I read was poisoning via improperly produced bootleg alcohol. I'm not sure, but it sounded like they were talking about the bootleg booze being put in brand name bottles (or possibly "Jak Daniels" or similar bottles) stocked at the various resorts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: They're Dropping Like Flies in the Dominican Republic
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »
Two possibilities. Either they are covering up deaths of locals, or someone doesn't like the USA.

I'm thinking they are going to lose tourism dollars.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:51:31 PM »
Just another reason I vacation in America.  I want warm, I go to the Keys or the Gulf coast of fl.  I want cold, I stay home.  Simple.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
Also, there may be more going on than just the possible alcohol deaths. I now remember some woman was beaten to within an inch of her life by someone in a resort staff uniform, and DR (either the resort or in cahoots with the gov) tried to keep it quiet, offering her compensation. They then reneged and she went public. So if not American haters, certainly tourist haters.

I've never been so may be talking out of my ass, but I can think of a half dozen Caribbean locations I would choose over DR for vacation. In fact I've done Caribbean vacations a few times, and DR never entered my mind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:11:40 PM »
Better DR than Haiti, but that is damning with faint praise, apparently.

Formerly sumpnz

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 11:51:11 PM »
A good friend of mine went to medical school in the DR. Medical students often went out on field trips off campus to provide first aid and such to the people there.

Initially, his reaction was "These poor people, they have so little, and need so much . . . "

After a month or two, he was saying "It's frustrating to get these people to help themselves - you tell them over and over what they need to do to take care of themselves, and they don't do it . . . "

A few months later, he was writing "These <expletive> lazy <racial perjorative> are shiftless and <expletive> stupid, they think everyone else ought to be working for them, the lazy <expletives> . . . "

So . . . I don't see myself ever going to the DR on a pleasure cruise.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 11:57:50 PM »

One of the more plausible explanations I read was poisoning via improperly produced bootleg alcohol. I'm not sure, but it sounded like they were talking about the bootleg booze being put in brand name bottles (or possibly "Jak Daniels" or similar bottles) stocked at the various resorts.

Wasn't that an issue at a couple of Mexican resorts a year or two back?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 07:24:57 AM »
A good friend of mine went to medical school in the DR. Medical students often went out on field trips off campus to provide first aid and such to the people there.

Initially, his reaction was "These poor people, they have so little, and need so much . . . "

After a month or two, he was saying "It's frustrating to get these people to help themselves - you tell them over and over what they need to do to take care of themselves, and they don't do it . . . "

A few months later, he was writing "These <expletive> lazy <racial perjorative> are shiftless and <expletive> stupid, they think everyone else ought to be working for them, the lazy <expletives> . . . "

So . . . I don't see myself ever going to the DR on a pleasure cruise.

If your friend ended up practicing in the United States, there are many areas of the country where he will be saying the exact same things about white people born right here.  Universal across the world, I suppose.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 07:31:41 AM »
The Army sent me to DR back in 2004.  I had a couple days to wander around and get drunk, and talk with the locals.

The best thing to be said about being in the DR is that at least it's not Haiti.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
The best thing to be said about being in the DR is that at least it's not Haiti.

One of the reasons I never considered DR is its border with Haiti. Ya gotta figure there's some bleed-over there.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 09:14:53 AM »
I spent a week in neighboring jamaica once and I have zero interest in ever going to a carribean island again.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »
I spent a week in neighboring jamaica once and I have zero interest in ever going to a carribean island again.

There are actually some beautiful, clean, and safe places to visit. I loved the Caymans, especially Cayman Brac. It has been years, so I don't know what it's like now, but when I was there, it pretty much matched the travel brochure propaganda, and the diving was spectacular.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 11:18:00 AM »
There are actually some beautiful, clean, and safe places to visit. I loved the Caymans, especially Cayman Brac. It has been years, so I don't know what it's like now, but when I was there, it pretty much matched the travel brochure propaganda, and the diving was spectacular.

Admittedly, the golf course was really nice spectacular.
https://rosehall.com/white-witch?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjN_stq344gIVC5SzCh07Lg3REAAYASAAEgJxlvD_BwE

Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »
The Cayman's and the Virgin Islands (both British and ours) are pretty nice.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 11:26:46 AM »
Admittedly, the golf course was really nice spectacular.
https://rosehall.com/white-witch?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjN_stq344gIVC5SzCh07Lg3REAAYASAAEgJxlvD_BwE

Mannnn, that's some water hazard.

(Sure is pretty.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »
All of the USVI and BVI are nice to visit, although they are expensive.

I also like the Caymans, St. Marteen (the Dutch side.  French side is kinda crappy), and pretty much all of the leeward and winward islands.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 11:58:43 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »
Welcome to the Hotel Hillary Clinton
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »
Cousins went to Jamaica once and got tired of locals offering (almost demanding) to braid their hair, locals offering (almost demanding) they buy drugs, locals rushing to get in front of their camera when they were  sightseeing so they could demand a fee for "taking their picture without permission" whether they were in the shot or not, and all sorts of other assorted cr@p like that.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
Cousins went to Jamaica once and got tired of locals offering (almost demanding) to braid their hair, locals offering (almost demanding) they buy drugs, locals rushing to get in front of their camera when they were  sightseeing so they could demand a fee for "taking their picture without permission" whether they were in the shot or not, and all sorts of other assorted cr@p like that.

I went there as part of a wedding party. It felt like everyone was trying to con you out of something.
Worst was the resort.
One day I was left a note from the maid (I had put up a 'do not disturb' sign on my door that day too), saying she found my safe open, so she locked it down and I needed to call security to have it opened.
Security showed up, opened the safe, and went through everything in the safe, laying the items on the bed as he went.
My uncle, stopped by while this was happening and asked me what was going on, when I explained the situation to him, he told me they pulled the same thing with his daughter (bride) and his new son-in-law an hour earlier.  He then yelled at the security guard "Hey, you are the SOB who tried to sell me weed last night!" I narrowly stopped a fight from happening.

The thinking was that the resort staff knew that people came to jamaica to buy ganja, and it was illegal to do so. They could pull a scam by locking people's safes down and confiscating he contents if they found any contraban, and a foreigner would have no recourse.

Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 06:08:33 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would want to go into the 3rd world Caribbean when we have the Florida Keys that has great weather, great water, great sights, great food, great fishing and diving, great music and booze.  You don't even need to have a passport to get into the Conch Republic either.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »
No *expletive deleted*s given.  Earned a free trip in November to Secrets and I’m going.  Might stay out of the mini bar though...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 09:45:03 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would want to go into the 3rd world Caribbean when we have the Florida Keys that has great weather, great water, great sights, great food, great fishing and diving, great music and booze.  You don't even need to have a passport to get into the Conch Republic either.

Price and exotic location.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
If your friend ended up practicing in the United States, there are many areas of the country where he will be saying the exact same things about white people born right here.  Universal across the world, I suppose.

Dalrymple: Life at the Bottom.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »
Panic!!!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox2now.com/2019/06/20/woman-on-honeymoon-becomes-10th-u-s-tourist-to-die-after-dominican-republic-vacation/amp/
10 in a year.  And we know several of them were in poor health.
Keeping a hairy eyeball on it.  Not canceling our plans.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”