Author Topic: Do-Gooders Strike again. "Confllict Minerals"  (Read 765 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Do-Gooders Strike again. "Confllict Minerals"
« on: July 24, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/23/the-case-for-corporate-civil-disobedience/

Seems that you have to report to SEC if any minerals you used in your products came from the Congo or any of nine nearby nations.   The absolute stupid in this hurts.   

This .gov needs to be cut off at the not just the knees, but the hips, maybe even the shoulders.   This has just gotten way out of hand.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
Re: Do-Gooders Strike again. "Confllict Minerals"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
My guess is the listed countries haven't paid the mordida to the right people in the U.S. government.

Note this from the linked article:
. . . Some of the international giants having the wherewithal to deploy such assets are combining forces to meet the May 31, 2014, first reporting deadline . . .

What are the odds that someone in .gov will determine that US companies "combining forces" this way somehow constitutes collusion, violating anti-monopoly or price fixing regulations?

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain