Author Topic: Obamajobs and the "recovery".  (Read 819 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Obamajobs and the "recovery".
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
IIRC the number of new jobs that need to be created each month, just to keep up with population growth is ~200-225k.  We're not even at that and most new jobs are part-time minimum wage jobs.   Not the good high paying jobs that something like, oh I don't know, the Keystone pipeline would add. (and then there's the ripple effect of steel for pipe, construction equipment, food, housing, etc, etc.)

http://news.yahoo.com/jobs-disproportionately-low-pay-part-time-162103614.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Obamajobs and the "recovery".
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »
and then there's the ripple effect of steel for pipe, construction equipment, food, housing, etc, etc.

Oh come on, everyone knows trickle-down reaganomics doesn't work.  Those rich bankers and CEO's just keep all the extra money because they value profit over helping people.  It's all about profit, why did you know that most CEO's are sociopaths?  They screw over all the little guys working day in and out and run the company into the ground before ejecting with a golden parachute.  What do you have against working families, are you racist against poor people?

----------------------------------------------
^ Kind of arguments Nick has heard against supply-side economics.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:44:37 PM »
Oh come on, everyone knows trickle-down reaganomics doesn't work.  Those rich bankers and CEO's just keep all the extra money because they value profit over helping people.  It's all about profit, why did you know that most CEO's are sociopaths?  They screw over all the little guys working day in and out and run the company into the ground before ejecting with a golden parachute.  What do you have against working families, are you racist against poor people?

----------------------------------------------
^ Kind of arguments Nick has heard against supply-side economics.

There is a lot of truth to that part.  I'm not sure if it extends to "most" or not; I think it might for large corporations.  I just saw another example of it today.  Can't post about it here.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:54:33 PM »
IIRC the number of new jobs that need to be created each month, just to keep up with population growth is ~200-225k.  We're not even at that and most new jobs are part-time minimum wage jobs.   Not the good high paying jobs that something like, oh I don't know, the Keystone pipeline would add. (and then there's the ripple effect of steel for pipe, construction equipment, food, housing, etc, etc.)

http://news.yahoo.com/jobs-disproportionately-low-pay-part-time-162103614.html

Just heard a short discussion about Wally World jobs last week (Squirrel Report?).  Per that, you're likely to get hired on as a temp for the first year, and worked unmercifully.  Get on as a real WW employee after that, and you're down to 30-hour part time weeks.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.