Author Topic: Obamacare implementation. Unions are Sad Pandas  (Read 2807 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Obamacare implementation. Unions are Sad Pandas
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
And, apparently, Angry Pandas.  "Whadda mean this law applies to us?"  Seems to be the underlying theme.   Seems that they will be hit with higher costs and because of their higher (union) wages and Taft-Hartley Insurance plans, not eligible for subsidies.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/12/hill-republicans-launch-pre-emptive-strike-on-union-subsidies-for-obamacare/

Meanwhile over on HuffPost, they continue to post stories about "evil" companies, like Trader Joe's, that are either ending coverage for part-timers, dropping spousal coverage, like UPS, or cutting employee hours to under 30 per week, or simply dumping their employee coverage entirely.  

Do scroll down to see all the unintended consequences, as HuffPo does their best to put lipstick on this pig.  And the law hasn't even taken effect yet.  Just wait until it starts impacting (smaller) companies bottom lines, then Katie-bar-the-door !!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/obamacare

I do think this goes here:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:27:52 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Obamacare implementation. Unions are Sad Pandas
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
It's OK. Obama will probably exempt some more of his cronies from the law. [barf]
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
I know my agency is in for a rude awakening. 3/4 of our employees are "temporary" workers that do not get health or retirement benefits. At least half of them work 40 hours a week. Our agency has no budget to spare nor can we cut hours since we are very understaffed as it is. Our current agency policy regarding Obamacare is to pretend it does not exist.

2014 is gonna be interesting as hell for us...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
Didn't SC declare Obamacare "unconstitutional", vote to "opt-out" or some such ?

That being the case y'all might want to restock ammo for the cannons there around Charleston Harbor.  I'll help this time.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
Didn't SC declare Obamacare "unconstitutional", vote to "opt-out" or some such ?

That being the case y'all might want to restock ammo for the cannons there around Charleston Harbor.  I'll help this time.

SCOTUS determined it is a "tax" and is thus "constitutional".  ;/
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
And, apparently, Angry Pandas.  "Whadda mean this law applies to us?"  Seems to be the underlying theme.   Seems that they will be hit with higher costs and because of their higher (union) wages and Taft-Hartley Insurance plans, not eligible for subsidies.
Eff 'em.  They bought the damned dog, they can clean up the poop.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
I know my agency is in for a rude awakening. 3/4 of our employees are "temporary" workers that do not get health or retirement benefits. At least half of them work 40 hours a week. Our agency has no budget to spare nor can we cut hours since we are very understaffed as it is. Our current agency policy regarding Obamacare is to pretend it does not exist.

2014 is gonna be interesting as hell for us...

I keep reading that it is going o be cheaper to pay the penalty for not covering employees than to actually cover them.  If true/correct there is no question of what way most folks are going to go.

When bread and circuses are reduced to circuses, ....

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 07:23:59 AM »
I keep reading that it is going o be cheaper to pay the penalty for not covering employees than to actually cover them.  If true/correct there is no question of what way most folks are going to go.

When bread and circuses are reduced to circuses, ....

stay safe.

Somehow instead of turning on the ass that convinced them to buy a ticket, they are going to slaughter and eat the elephant.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »
Unions are in an ideal position and they haven't figgered it out.  Joe and Martha Sixpack (to the tune of 80%) does not want Obamacare.  The herd of gelding we call establishment republicans will do nothing to stop Obamacare.  Unions thought it a good idea but as reality unfolded they realized OC is a train wreck.  Unions could immeasurably improve their position and brand with Joe and Martha Sixpack by simply turning on Obama and stopping it funding.  Middle America is looking for leadership and it sure and hell ain't getting it out of Republican geldings.  Unions can easily fill in the gap and profit handsomely by saving middle America from a truly dangerous legislation.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 10:04:06 PM »
Walgreens dumps their 160,000 employees onto the exchanges. (Yo Lupinus, this means you !!!)

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/grading-obamacare-why-government-shouldn-t-control-health-170700581.html

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »
And there's a fight going on to get young to sign up (or not).

http://news.yahoo.com/obamacare-battle-moves-to-college-campuses-200027191.html

Do watch the video....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
Walgreens dumps their 160,000 employees onto the exchanges. (Yo Lupinus, this means you !!!)

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/grading-obamacare-why-government-shouldn-t-control-health-170700581.html
I'm actually reserving judgement until we have all the details. It's a private exchange, not just dumping us handing a check and saying good luck, and the details they have given us so far don't look to horrible compared to the insurance we have now (which sucks massively. We don't even have good prescription insurance).
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/19/ohio-clinic-touted-by-obama-in-health-care-reform-speech-slashes-budget-due-to/

World renowned Cleveland Clinic which Obama cited during the run up to ObamaCare passage has said that it will eliminate 3000 jobs (early retirement and/or layoffs) and  cut $330 million from its budget because of ObamaCare.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/19/ohio-clinic-touted-by-obama-in-health-care-reform-speech-slashes-budget-due-to/

World renowned Cleveland Clinic which Obama cited during the run up to ObamaCare passage has said that it will eliminate 3000 jobs (early retirement and/or layoffs) and  cut $330 million from its budget because of ObamaCare.

Greedy capitalist bastards. :mad:

So now Republican doctors also hate poor people... ;/
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
Hey Part-timers !!!  Getting kicked off your employers' insurance plan is actually a good thing !!*

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/part-timers-losing-healthcare-insurance-may-want-thank-210354500.html

* Disconnecting Health Insurance from your Employer is actually a good thing.  However, how they are going about doing it (and what it end up costing on the various exchanges) may not be so good.  Especially if those young people fail to sign up in.  Which is what it's starting to look like.  This house of cards may collapse pretty quickly.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »
Three months left in 2013 and my agency still is still not facing the matter of Obamacare implementation...

Because paying the penalty is essentially breaking the law and going ahead and ponying up the cash for the fine I don't think that breaking the federal law is going to be an option for my agency...

Going to be real interesting to see the scramble in December to come up with a plan.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!