Author Topic: Police officers shot after entering the wrong house on a burglary call  (Read 4640 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/31/ga-police-officer-shot/71495714/

Oops. I am guessing here that the homeowner responded to strange people entering the house.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Police officers shot after entering the wrong house on a burglary call
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03:40 AM »
This one.  Wow.
They were reportedly responding not to a burglary in progress but a SUSPICIOUS PERSON call.
They go to the wrong house.
They find an unlocked door and decide that's justification to enter on the assumption that the house is being burglarized.  Not a broken window, not a kicked in door but an UNLOCKED DOOR.
Gunfire breaks out and they wound the homeonwer and kill his *expletive deleted*ing dog.
And one of their own is injured.
Still unclear if the homeowner was armed or not.

Officers blab on and on about "going home safe".   Hard to do that with this level of bad policing.  *expletive deleted*ing idiots.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:12:21 AM »
This one.  Wow.
They were reportedly responding not to a burglary in progress but a SUSPICIOUS PERSON call.
They go to the wrong house.
They find an unlocked door and decide that's justification to enter on the assumption that the house is being burglarized.  Not a broken window, not a kicked in door but an UNLOCKED DOOR.
Gunfire breaks out and they wound the homeonwer and kill his *expletive deleted*ing dog.
And one of their own is injured.
Still unclear if the homeowner was armed or not.

Officers blab on and on about "going home safe".   Hard to do that with this level of bad policing.  *expletive deleted*ing idiots.

Yep. And cops scratch their heads and hind quarters, moaning about people not trusting them.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
This popped up on the local news app last night. At least in the report last night they admitted they screwed up, haven't checked up to see if they plan to railroad the homeowner.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:17:45 AM »
"Somewhere at the rear of that home, some things happened that have yet to be determined."

They haven't figured out a good narrative on this one yet.

“There was gunfire, I just cannot tell you who fired and who did not,” he said.
See above...
"Alexander called the situation complicated. Officers fired their weapons, the chief said, but it’s not clear if the homeowner had a gun."

If the homeowner had a gun, they would know already.

Looks like they really screwed the pooch on this one, then shot it.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »
They haven't figured out a good narrative on this one yet.
See above...

Looks like they really screwed the pooch on this one, then shot it.

Illegally entering a house, armed. Destroying property and shooting home owner. That is a home invasion. Sad, but not one badge wearing citizen will be charged with anything. They will review and adjust their policy and training. Training the idiots should have already known.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »

Maybe he just throws bullets really hard.

If it comes out that the cop was wounded by friendly fire, DeKalb County law enforcement will have lived right back up to their previous level of idiocy.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 11:36:02 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/investigators-georgia-officer-likely-shot-other-officers-145410367.html

Now it looks like the officer may have been a "friendly fire" casualty.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:39:05 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/investigators-georgia-officer-likely-shot-other-officers-145410367.html

Now it looks like the officer may have been a "friendly fire" casualty.

Sadly, it's lucky that none of the officers died.

Sadly, in cases like this, when you have a bad department, it's not unknown to charge the, in this case shot, occupants of the home with felony murder for 'forcing' the cops to break into their home illegally and shoot each other.

The felony murder rule should be restricted to violent felonies, not as an excuse to have cops attempt Rambos.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
Is it normal to assume that an unlocked door is an indicator of a break in?  To me it would make sense to knock on the door and check on the occupant, and that would also let you find out if it's the right house.  Doing that would prevent "having" to shoot the victim's dog (and victim would be the right term unless you had reason to believe that the homeowner was the suspicious person) and starting a gun battle that everybody lost.

I don't know how you are supposed to excuse this kind of policing.  You can't even use the "at least the officers went home safely" defense.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 01:28:24 PM »
It looks like more info is coming out, but from what's out there now, this seems to be the classic case that we ponder here regarding how we would react. Home invasion is home invasion, regardless of the invader wearing a uniform (which may or may not be real).

The police chief putting the homeowner's condition first during his statements says volumes to me. Also not disputing that the officers entered through a closed, unlocked door.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
Maybe he just throws bullets really hard.

If it comes out that the cop was wounded by friendly fire, DeKalb County law enforcement will have lived right back up to their previous level of idiocy.
A COP WAS SHOT!!!

We'll see how they go about charging the homeowner for it . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 01:53:52 PM »
“That in and of itself would probably suggest to anyone that it is possible that there could be intruders inside, but it turned out not to be the case,” Alexander said. “Somewhere at the rear of that home, some things happened that have yet to be determined.”

Really???? 7:30 in the evening and a back door being unlocked means there could be intruders.  :facepalm:

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
“That in and of itself would probably suggest to anyone that it is possible that there could be intruders inside, but it turned out not to be the case,” Alexander said. “Somewhere at the rear of that home, some things happened that have yet to be determined.”

The only thing yet to be determined is the level of stupid demonstrated by the cops in the rear of that home.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 02:28:57 PM »
The only thing yet to be determined is the level of stupid demonstrated by the cops in the rear of that home.

I dunno; all the stupidometers I've ever seen would have pegged about the time the dog was shot.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 03:08:54 PM »
Sadly, it's lucky that none of the officers died.

I'd say that it's just sad and unlucky that none of the officers died.  >:D

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 03:59:28 PM »
I dunno; all the stupidometers I've ever seen would have pegged about the time the dog was shot.

No. They should have scratched their heads or arse with "we have no legal justification to enter". Instead they inserted heads farther up their 4th point of contact and went on in.

Abraham Lincoln

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
stupid crap like this just throws fuel on the fire.  Another innocent dog killed. 

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
No. They should have scratched their heads or arse with "we have no legal justification to enter". Instead they inserted heads farther up their 4th point of contact and went on in.

These are redneck stupidometers that can actually handle that level.  It's barely past "hold my beer and watch this."  On the other hand, shooting the dog (especially considering that seeing a suddenly pissed off dog that wasn't making noise before should have been a prime indicator there's no burglar in the house) goes way beyond any humanly comprehensible level of idiocy.  Shooting the other cop and the homeowner also indicates that the stupid should have been measured before giving somebody a gun.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
Cops need to keep their one bullet in their shirt pocket  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 05:02:30 PM »
From a Fox News article:  

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/01/atlanta-area-police-officer-shot-circumstances-unclear/

When the officers went around the back of the house, they found the back door and screen door were unlocked, leading them to believe that someone had broken in.

WTF??  Since when is an unlocked door a sign of burglary?  *expletive deleted*it.

See. This is why cops are not looking good in the public eye. There is not a "War on cops". Forget that public outcry that the police nationwide would love for us to believe. Nope. Cops should look into the mirror, there is your problem. Militarization, shooting dogs and people (wrong address most often), entering illegally, pulling folks over for "prolonged eye contact",  talking down to people. All along demanding the publics respect. *expletive deleted*ck that. Police should respect the public, not the other way around. This crap sandwich that the cops are eating is all their own making, it's been sitting in the corner for several decades. People are just now deciding not to put up with this crap.

***I do not condone murder of anyone. So before any cop apologists suggest it or accuse me of being ok with some idiot walking up behind a cop and killing them, stop. I do not condone that and whoever does murder a cop in that manner or similar, should take a slow painful asshumping to hell.

Abraham Lincoln

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 05:19:39 PM »
I think you're all being terribly unfair.

A man in the home who exited a room off the kitchen was also shot in the leg by police, GBI officials said. A police officer was shot in the hip and listed in serious condition at Grady Memorial Hospital. Police did not immediately identify the wounded resident or officer.

"Early investigation indicates that the injured officer was likely shot accidently by one of the other officers on the scene," GBI officials said in a statement.

Clearly, the wounded officer deserves a citation for bravery above and beyond the call of duty for taking a bullet that might have killed the innocent homeowner. I'm sure the brave officer is wishing he could have taken another one to save the dog ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
This is the kind of *expletive deleted*it that could tempt me to engage in riotous conduct.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 07:43:33 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that is spitting fire over this ...  ;)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 01:02:19 AM »
Used back in my youth I was pretty much neutral on the topic of police in our culture, outside of my issues over the favored then-illegal intoxicant of the time.  But that was part of the game, you pays your money and take your chances...

After years of reading about cops tazing and beating diabetics having issues; killing sleeping children and the elderly; tossing flashbangs in the cribs of babes; shooting dogs as the drop of hat and/or arresting and charging those who raise issue with such; acting like arrogant jerks when people have the audacity to record their interactions with the cops, or the interactions of others with cops; lying through their teeth and misrepresenting what the law states (and the icing on the cake of the courts ruling that cops don't have to know the law but we non-cops do);  doing their utmost to make the Sheriff of Nottingham look like cuddly puppy; etc... 

My views have drastically changed.   

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.