Author Topic: Specter rino/dino extinct in PA  (Read 3386 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Specter rino/dino extinct in PA
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:57:18 AM »
"Remember Popeye, who used to say, 'I am what I am'? I don't think anyone could dress me in different attire. I am what I am," Specter told reporters before the polls closed.

Specter is still what he is, but on Tuesday, Pennsylvania's Democratic voters ended one of the most colorful national political careers of the past several decades. Specter's gamble that Democrats would embrace him for what he was didn't pay off, as his primary opponent, Rep. Joe Sestak, claimed momentum in the closing days of the race and never looked back.

Specter, who had turned blurring political and societal lines into an art form, was left to ponder his gamble.

His campaign blamed the defeat on the fervent anti-incumbent mood that is sweeping the country, in both parties, as demonstrated by the defeat this month of three-term Sen. Robert Bennett (R-Utah) at his party's nominating convention and last week's primary defeat of veteran Rep. Alan Mollohan (D-W. Va.).

"It's everywhere," Gov. Edward G. Rendell (D-Pa.), Specter's longtime friend and close political adviser, said after Specter's concession speech.

Rendell said that the opponent did not matter, and that the only thing Sestak did right was picking a "great ad" company, a reference to the Sestak consultants who previously worked for Rendell.

Specter and his 30 years of incumbency became a "lightning rod" for voters angry about the lasting effects of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, Rendell said, adding that the party switch played into voters' distrust of career politicians.

"Switching parties is always tough," the governor said.

Turnout was very light in Specter's most critical region, his home town of Philadelphia. There, with more than 90 percent of precincts reporting, fewer than 160,000 voters had cast ballots. While Specter was winning those votes by a two-to-one margin, the total number for the incumbent was shaping up to be more than 100,000 fewer votes than Rendell collected here in his competitive 2002 primary.

Specter's advisers blamed a malaise among Pennsylvania's Democrats. But Specter loyalists may find clues to his demise in the senator's shifting alliances.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/18/AR2010051806233.html?wprss=rss_print
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HankB

• friend
Re: Specter rino/dino extinct in PA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
Was this by any chance an "Open" primary in PA?

In some states, you can declare your party in any primary . . . if that's the case here, it wouldn't surprise me if some Republicans "declared" as Democrats just so they could vote against Specter.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »
He must be feeling a shadow of his former self...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
The democrats ran a US congressman against him despite Specters endorsement by Obama and Rendell the PA governor

Whatever Obama promised him for his party switch, it appears to have been teh suxor.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:42:17 AM »
Joseph A. "Joe" Sestak, Jr. (born December 12, 1951) is an American politician and former naval officer. He is currently a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Pennsylvania's 7th congressional district (map) since 2007. The district incorporates parts of the Philadelphia suburbs, including most of Delaware County. His legislative efforts led House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer to name him the most productive freshman member of Congress in 2007.[2]
A member of the United States Navy for over 30 years, Sestak is a retired two-star Rear Admiral and the highest-ranking former military officer currently serving in Congress.[3] During his career in the Navy, he led a series of operational commands, including commanding the USS George Washington aircraft carrier battle group in Afghanistan and Iraq. He served as Director for Defense Policy on the National Security Council under President Bill Clinton and, following the September 11 attacks, was selected to serve as the first Director of "Deep Blue," the Navy's anti-terrorism unit. Though he achieved the rank of Vice-Admiral (three stars), Sestak left the Navy before he had been a Vice Admiral long enough to be able to retire at that rank. He retired at the lower rank of a two star Rear Admiral (upper half).[4]
On August 4, 2009, Sestak announced his candidacy for the seat in the United States Senate held by five-term incumbent Arlen Specter, whom he challenged for the Democratic nomination.[5][6] He defeated him for the nomination on May 18, 2010, and will face GOP nominee Pat Toomey in the general election.[7]

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:00:20 AM »
Was this by any chance an "Open" primary in PA?

In some states, you can declare your party in any primary . . . if that's the case here, it wouldn't surprise me if some Republicans "declared" as Democrats just so they could vote against Specter.

No.  And I voted for Sestak.     [popcorn]
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »
Ahem.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:38:51 AM »
But, there is now no one left in the Senate to vote "haggis" instead of "yes" or no" when an issue of supreme controversy rises!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »
He died years ago, but the service was delayed until now.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »
During his career in the Navy, he led a series of operational commands, including commanding the USS George Washington aircraft carrier battle group in Afghanistan and Iraq

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment  :O

I didn't know our a/c carriers were amphibious   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
Specter was a democrat when he was doing his Kennedy commission schtik.  He turn republican when he decided to run for national office.  I kinda view his most recent change as I'd view a salmon returning to spawning grounds.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »
He deserved what he got.

Anyone see his concession speech? He looked tired and shellshocked.

He must have believed in the gulibility of voters, then got hammered by his own ignorance.

Jamie
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:03:37 PM »
Specter was a democrat when he was doing his Kennedy commission schtik.  He turn republican when he decided to run for national office.  I kinda view his most recent change as I'd view a salmon returning to spawning grounds.

With similar results. 

He got ----ed and died.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »
Buh bye.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 04:18:15 AM »
I'm kinda on the fence about Sestak. Cavuto asked him what spending he would cut and Sestak hemmed and hawed about pay as you go(tax as you go), cutting shipbuilding, and cutting the F-22. He was, when asked, specifically against cutting Social Security. So in summary, pander to the anti defense liberals while knowing in his intelligent mind that defense spending is a drop in the bucket compared to runaway entitlement spending. Not too impressed there.

Still, seeing Specter lose is worth it.

edit, I mis-spelled intelligent.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:05:06 AM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »
He's a Dem, so I wouldn't expect over much fiscal conservatism from him.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.