Author Topic: So much for Gingrich . . .  (Read 7338 times)

HankB

• friend
So much for Gingrich . . .
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:04:46 PM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/05/gingrich-reaction-republicans-livid-accuse-former-speaker-hypocri

Synopsys: Gingrich blasted the Ryan budget plan when he was on Meet the Press this past Sunday. Newt didn't just say he disagreed with it, he referred to parts of it as "right wing social engineering" and implied it was "radical change from the right" and that it was not a "good way for a free society to operate."

It turns out he actually contradicted himself from a month ago, when he was full of praise for Ryan and his proposal.

With what looks like a major flip-flop, one wonders whether Gingrich has caught Potomac Fever so bad he's letting focus groups steer him . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: So much for Gingrich . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »
He apparantly is also now in favor of mandating individuals buy insurance --- "Obamacare."
 :facepalm:

Stick a fork in him.  He's done.  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
Newt McRomney  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »
Newt is establishment.

Romney is establishment.

Establishment has made plans to accept the inevitability of Obamacare, and have already invested in sales/marketing/bureaucratic infrastructure to comply with it.  A change away from Obamacare will cost that same establishment, billions of dollars.

Newt and Romney are protecting their GOP establishment interests.

Too bad the GOP establishment interests aren't interested in protecting the investment in America over the last 200 years that we ALL have made.  Or investing in the hard decisions and work to generat real, perpetual opportunities for success and leadership.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »
Between newt, trump, romney, and rupaul, the candidate field for the repubs looks like a circus train wreck.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
The best way for a free society to operate, if I understand Newt, is to cede that freedom to a centralized State that knows better.  When individual responsibility and initiative become "rightwing social engineering" and are confused with autocracy we know we have truly gone through The Looking Glass.  Newt is toast.  Old toast.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SteveT

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »
Why can't any of these guys look good for more than a heartbeat?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
Honestly, I'm glad so many of the fatally flawed non-starters are flaming out so early.

Huckabee bowing out before even beginning.

Trump deciding he's done with the publicity stunt mercifully early.

Newt saying stuff that's deep-sixing himself right out of the gate.

Now all that's left is for Romney to go down over his own Romney-care... and unless a new batch of weirdos/RINO's move in, I can feel a bit better about who is left.
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
Why can't any of these guys look good for more than a heartbeat?

Because they are a bunch of pathetic little *expletive deleted*ing political weasles who are far too pleased with selling America down the river to think about the good of the country.

And Ron Paul is completely unsuitable after his "I wouldn't have ordered the Bin Laden raid1" comment

1http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/12/ron-paul-ordered-bin-laden-raid/
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »
Damn. He's suicidal.

I'm lost, here. Is he just running to make Romney look good by comparison? Did he join the GOP primary by mistake, and actually mean to join the Democrat primary?

SteveT

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
Damn. He's suicidal.

I'm lost, here. Is he just running to make Romney look good by comparison? Did he join the GOP primary by mistake, and actually mean to join the Democrat primary?

He's always been like that.   He's completely non-interventionist in foreign policy.  Pakistan's a sovereign country, so for RP that's hands off.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »
Is anyone really surprised?.....Gingrich has been in DC for too long, and has caught the big-gov't=more-power-for-me syndrome....

Seems the only one that hasn't screwed up yet in the primaries is Herman Cain....and I expect the GOP-inos to take him out before Christmas....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »

He's always been like that.   He's completely non-interventionist in foreign policy.  Pakistan's a sovereign country, so for RP that's hands off.

The post you're quoting is about Newt.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
I heard Gingrich for a few minutes on Hannity on the drive home.

After reading the exchange and hearing his explanation, I believe him.

He says he was answering a hypothetical, whether the Republicans should push through any major change against public opinion. His point was that time should be taken to get the public on board before pushing the change.

I can see that is what he wanted to say.

Unfortunately, this was a mistake. First, he should not have simply accepted the interviewers premise. That was stupid. Secondly, he answered in such a way that even conservatives thought he was attacking the Ryan plan. That means he has HORRIBLE messaging.

Even if I weren't already uncomfortable with Mr. Gingrich, this would sink him. (This is, of course, ignoring his couch time with Nancy Pelosi and the Scozzafava incident.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »
It's hard to believe that a man who's been around in the political culture as long as Gingrich doesn't have an understanding of what this war we're engaged in all about and who the enemies are.  If he's that naive as to get coldcocked by media people with barely hidden stilettos he's too damn naive to lead this nation in a make-or-break time for this Republic.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 06:06:45 AM »
If he's that naive as to get coldcocked by media people with barely hidden stilettos he's too damn naive to lead this nation in a make-or-break time for this Republic.

QFT....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
Newt had a conference call today with a bunch of reporters.

I actually feel bad for the guy. I don't think he was out to attack Ryan's plan. He is just terrible at messaging.

He could have easily gotten the point across instead of calling it "right-wing social engineering" when asked about pushing it against the will of the public by saying:

"I love the Ryan plan. It's definitely the best we have out there. But, as a critique, I would think that a voluntary program to allow people to choose to take the subsidy and purchase their own insurance or stick with Medicare as it is would eventually lead to everyone taking the subsidy and would have the added benefit of allowing people to compare the results without worrying they would be losing something forever."

If he had said that, he'd have looked both intelligent and savvy. Especially since this was his main point.

Instead, he likely sunk his candidacy already. Sorry, Newt.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »
Or, possibly, Newt just was a bad candidate to begin with.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
Or, possibly, Newt just was a bad candidate to begin with.

He is and was. He would have never gotten my vote.

I still feel bad for him to have made such an unforced error.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »
Better he should have revealed himself early and not wasted our time.  This election is way too critical to replay losing scripts.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
If he's that naive as to get coldcocked by media people with barely hidden stilettos he's too damn naive to lead this nation in a make-or-break time for this Republic.

I enjoy your mixed metaphor.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 10:32:35 PM »
Not mixed, two-pronged.  You can coldcock someone while having a stiletto as your back-up weapon. =D
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Hobie

• Shooting With Hobie
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 12:47:30 PM »
The missus had a lengthy interaction with Mr. Speaker at the NRA Convention/Annual Meeting and we kinda like him.  As an historian, as a speaker, as a person, not so much as a presidential candidate.  This is one reason.  He IS now an establishment guy.  I'm much more in tune with Herman Cain.  I had a chance to speak with him, albeit too briefly and shake his hand and I think pretty highly of him.  Seems like a good guy with proven competence.  However, I am absolutely NOT voting for a stalking horse or Obama.  I can't imagine who the Republicans nominate that I would not vote for.  It is absolutely essential that Obama go home to Chicago. 
Sincerely,

Hobie
"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
. . .  I can't imagine who the Republicans nominate that I would not vote for.  It is absolutely essential that Obama go home to Chicago. 
An unfortunate and unpalatable truth - the GOP establishment figures "Who the heck ELSE are you going to vote for if we nominate a RINO?" And the answer is . . . nobody.  =(

Which is why it's essential that we elect as many real conservatives as possible to Congress.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
An unfortunate and unpalatable truth - the GOP establishment figures "Who the heck ELSE are you going to vote for if we nominate a RINO?" And the answer is . . . nobody.  =(

Which is why it's essential that we elect as many real conservatives as possible to Congress.
My only response to this would be to make that choice carefully.  If there is one change in the last couple years it is that a l see a lot more taking "ZERO Tolerance" attitude toward candidates (may be just the circles I run in).  While I agree that it is important to put pressure on candidates, I think we have to be careful and not dismiss good candidates over what might end up being trivial issues.  The media is doing it's best to trash Republican candidates.  We should also not let their attacks drive our decision.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge