Author Topic: McCain's Apocalypse  (Read 7360 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
McCain's Apocalypse
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:26 PM »
...is missing a fracking football game.

America sucks.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/325933-surprises-abound-as-shutdown-begins

Not the heartbreaking story about the WWII vets at the Capitol to find the memorial closed.

Not the pending implementation of Obamacare despite a government "shutdown."

Not a devaluation of the dollar.

Nope.  A government-subsidized football game was cancelled.  Truly Ragnarok is upon us. :mad:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
Re: McCain's Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
I find it hard to believe those televised games were not money makers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »
What I find hilarious as that somehow they aren't automatic forfeits and losses for the schools in question.

'Cuz there's separate standards for when Stanford can't pay the bills, and FedGuv can't pay the bills.

These are just "rescheduled."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:56:36 AM »
I just can't for the life of me see the reasoning for attempting to keep them from going to the memorial. What possible purpose could that hold!? :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:51 AM »
What possible purpose could that hold!?

It makes good press to show the American people how evil the GOP is.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »
I just can't for the life of me see the reasoning for attempting to keep them from going to the memorial. What possible purpose could that hold!? :mad:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/teamfreedomworks/8-most-passive-aggressive-government-shutdown-aler-eych

#4 is my favorite
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
Ha ha, during shutdown duties yesterday, while a bunch of people were making Republican cracks, I said almost exactly what the Ron Swanson graphic said: "Best day of my career ever! It's like Christmas!". Then I started singing (to the tune of Jingle Bells), "Furlough Day, Furlough Day, Furlough all the way! Oh what fun it is to have a Furlough Day today!"

I like watching heads explode... :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »
They don't have personnel to keep parks, monuments, etc. open, but they DO have personnel to keep people out.

Uh huh.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
They don't have personnel to keep parks, monuments, etc. open, but they DO have personnel to keep people out.

Uh huh.

Yeah, that's been my gripe  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »

Uh huh.

Yeah, that's been my gripe  :mad:

;/ It takes a lot of people to run a park. It takes only a few to be at the entrances to turn people away. Also a lot of the parks, particularly the smaller ones, will be gates locked and no personnel on duty.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:53:51 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
;/ It takes a lot of people to run a park. It takes only a few to be at the entrances to turn people away. Also a lot of the parks, particularly the smaller ones, will be gates locked and no personnel on duty.

There's an epically massive difference between them being custodians of the parks, and them being owners of the parks.

Right now they're acting as owners of the parks.

The proper response is to leave the parks open, and not mow the grass or empty the garbage cans.  They are still owned by the Public.
--Lysander Spooner

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »

Except that the Veterans' Memorial where the vets "crashed the gate" wasn't staffed by employees until the vets "broke in". Then they had people there to keep visitors out.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

Maybe so. That, of course, doesn't apply to the open air monuments in Washington, DC. It takes FAR MORE staff to turn people away than it does to "keep them open". (Also costs to erect barricades, as well.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »
You wanted the shutdown and now you want to complain about it?!

Also the Wash monuments are only part of the nearly 400 other NPS facilities...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »
Then there is this Virginia park which receives no Federal funding, ordered closed by the NPS.

http://freebeacon.com/shutdown-theater/

(e.t.a.: at first glance I misread "freebeacon" as "freebacon")
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:00:08 PM by Angel Eyes »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »
You wanted the shutdown and now you want to complain about it?!

Also the Wash monuments are only part of the nearly 400 other NPS facilities...

No, I'm quite happy with the shutdown, no complaints. I'm merely pointing out that the Administration is going to lengths to make it as painful as possible, even spending MORE money to shut things down that would be cheaper to leave open.

The over-reach is hilarious and it's one of the only things that makes me wish I still lived in the DC area. I'd love to storm those "Barry-cades".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »
The furloughs didn't go far enough.  Obama and the damn Congress are still working.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
The furloughs didn't go far enough.  Obama and the damn Congress are still working.

You have a strange definition of "working."

;)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
Uh, I was speaking figuratively.  Yeah, that's it.  =)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »
No, I'm quite happy with the shutdown, no complaints. I'm merely pointing out that the Administration is going to lengths to make it as painful as possible, even spending MORE money to shut things down that would be cheaper to leave open.

The over-reach is hilarious and it's one of the only things that makes me wish I still lived in the DC area. I'd love to storm those "Barry-cades".
Agreed.  It is like the sequester a while back.  The arrogant condescension of it all is almost funny.  What sort of liberal fanatic do you have to be to think Repubs will be blamed for this?  Even the 5 year olds are going WTF? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 08:45:09 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 09:10:39 PM »
Agreed.  It is like the sequester a while back.  The arrogant condescension of it all is almost funny.  What sort of liberal fanatic do you have to be to think Repubs will be blamed for this?  Even the 5 year olds are going WTF? 

A few liberal facebook friends have dumped on the republicans blaming the GOP for the shut down. When I questioned their stance by providing a few facts I got the standard name calling and personal attacks. When I called them out for name calling and personal attacks I got 2 less on my friends list. Gosh, getting unfriended is just so emotionally crushing :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »

I heard it claimed today that Congress *has* to be paid because of the 27th Amendment.  Their hands are tied!  (like they really care at all about the Constitution)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »
What I find hilarious as that somehow they aren't automatic forfeits and losses for the schools in question.

'Cuz there's separate standards for when Stanford can't pay the bills, and FedGuv can't pay the bills.

These are just "rescheduled."

I don't find that hilarious at all.

However (thinking of a parallel thread), I've been told that my sense of humour was surgically excised when I was eight years old.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 07:15:38 AM »
There's an epically massive difference between them being custodians of the parks, and them being owners of the parks.

Right now they're acting as owners of the parks.

The proper response is to leave the parks open, and not mow the grass or empty the garbage cans. 
They are still owned by the Public.
[/quote

Public paid for the WWII monument as well, with private donations. NPS was cut a hefty fee.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.