Author Topic: I Liked Everything I Saw on Facebook for Two Days.  (Read 467 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
I Liked Everything I Saw on Facebook for Two Days.
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »
Here's what it did to me.
http://www.wired.com/2014/08/i-liked-everything-i-saw-on-facebook-for-two-days-heres-what-it-did-to-me/

Author decides to experiment with the Book of Faces.  He "likes" everything, even if he hated it.  He had to stop after 48 hours.  He was struck by how different his feeds were.  In his mobile feed, he was only presented with the chance to like more stories from various websites and various other ads.  His desktop had mostly branded content, but he still saw activity from his friends.

This is a problem much bigger than Facebook. It reminded me of what can go wrong in society, and why we now often talk at each other instead of to each other. We set up our political and social filter bubbles and they reinforce themselves—the things we read and watch have become hyper-niche and cater to our specific interests. We go down rabbit holes of special interests until we’re lost in the queen’s garden, cursing everyone above ground.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.