Author Topic: New EDC beater pocket knife  (Read 464 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New EDC beater pocket knife
« on: September 17, 2015, 05:51:04 PM »
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-FASTBACK-5-in-Flip-Pocket-Knife-48-22-1990/203981004

I was at the local Home Depot the other day buying some garage shelving when I came upon a display of these knives.  I picked one up, gave it the once-over, and decided for $ 9.88, I would take one home and give it a try.

I have to say that this is quite the value.  It is made in China with a mystery stainless-steel (probably 440), but it came out of the package shaving sharp, the blade locks up tight with no wobble, it is retained in the open position with a liner lock and you can press a button on the handle and open the knife with a wrist flick.  The stainless steel wire clip is reversible for tip up or down carry (it came tip down) and the textured red FRN handle is visible, strong and lightweight.  The back of the handle has a black spacer closing up the rear of the handle and the handle has a stainless steel liner.  There is some gimping on the top of the handle and blade.  The blade has no nail nick or thumbstud to assist with opening, so I either use the wrist flick or grab the exposed portion of the blade.  The bead-blasted blade is three inches long with a drop point and is 3/32nds of an inch thick.

I have paid more for lesser-quality knives, and at $ 10, I won't cry if something happens to this.  I am going to give the CRKTs, Kershaws and Benchmades a rest for a bit while I carry this one.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: New EDC beater pocket knife
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »
Chinese blade steel is probably 8cr13MoV, which is a copy of AUS8. Not a bad steel, but the heat treatment is still not consistent yet, so the temper on any individual piece could be either soft ot brittle. You'll find out after some use.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:16:35 PM »
That looks very much like a Kershaw liner-lock knife I got as a freebee with a gun or something a couple of years ago.  (mine is black instead of orange, and is fast open but doesn't "flip")  8cr13MoV steel and seems to be hardened and tempered well.  I like it. 

I might pick up one of those next time I'm at HD.  Thanks.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
I have the utility blade version. I don't carry an expensive knife anymore, a $10 knife is one you won't cry over too much if you drop it into a hydraulic tank or deep into the belly pan of a dozer
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
Looks like what they call a "gravity knife" and they are illegal in many places.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!