Author Topic: Question in need of quick answers (giving dead car away)  (Read 1871 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Question in need of quick answers (giving dead car away)
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:22:13 AM »
About a 5 years ago, I parked an ailing '93 Chevy Lumina in the back of my driveway in hopes of fixing up and donating. Since then, I have lost the title.  I couldn't even give the darn thing away to scrap shops without it. So there it sits, hogging parking space.

Yesterday, a fellow comes to my door and claims to live down the street (not that I don't believe him, I don't know all the neighbors) and said he's seen the car there for some time and was wondering if I was interested in selling it. 
I told him it's all his if he was willing to put in some serious work on the power steering and brakes to make it road worthy again. It turns out he wants it for parts/scrap and he's willing to take it without a title.

Here's where I'm a little concerned.  Of course I'm happy for anyone to come and haul this albatross from my driveway, but I'm wary about any possible issues down the road.  I don't want to receive a phone call from someone asking me to get my parted-out hull of a car from wherever and have to pay a rollback to haul it to the junkyard.

However, this might be my paranoia showing, as I've been told I'm a "what-if" type of guy.

What do you guys think?  Should I let this fellow haul off this car that I've been wanting to junk for the past few years? If so, what if anything should I print out to have him sign upon taking the car besides "this car now belongs to you"?

He's due to pick up the car at 0830 this morning (Friday, 5/7/10).

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Question in need of quick answers (giving dead car away)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 01:23:28 AM »
I'd google bills of sale for your state.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:59:28 AM »
Here's where I'm a little concerned.  Of course I'm happy for anyone to come and haul this albatross from my driveway, but I'm wary about any possible issues down the road.

I've had a dead car towed from an apartment complex, and got a parking ticket in the mail a year later from a city 50 miles away.  We gave away a barely-usable Ford last year and we're getting notices from the Tollway Authority that it's running up a lot of tolls 100 miles away.  At the very least, get all of his info and verify it, and make sure you keep the plates.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:06:15 AM »
At the very least, get all of his info and verify it, and make sure you keep the plates.

Might want to remove/grind the VIN if you can figure out all the places they put it, and they're accessible.  Assuming that, unlike with guns, such is legal.  Otherwise leave all VIN's intact.   [tinfoil]
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
Might want to remove/grind the VIN if you can figure out all the places they put it, and they're accessible.  Assuming that, unlike with guns, such is legal.  Otherwise leave all VIN's intact.

Stipple, not grind.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 02:22:18 AM »
What Avenger said. Although 1. they have like 87 freaking VINs on cars these days 2. it's really not needed unless you're planning on using your own car for a series of bank robberies or something. Keep the plates, bill of sale, maybe a salvage title if it's easy to do in your state, and you're golden.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:24:44 AM »
You ought to be able to get a replacement title as long as you're the owner of record - with millions upon millions of cars on the road, it's certain you're not the ONLY person who's lost his paperwork. (And if the state has no record of your ownership, then it doesn't matter how you get rid of the car, since the state doen't know it's yours, right?  ;) )

In some states (Texas, for example) when selling a car it's recommended that you go down to the DMV and fill out a form notifying the state that your vehicle has a new owner, and who the new owner is - that way you won't be liable for toll charges, parking tickets, etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »
People lose their titles all the time.  States will issue a duplicate or salvage title.  Call them up, ask for a dup, check with them on what the "salvage value" is in your state and what the implications of donating it as a parts vehicle are, ask whether you will need a VIN check from the state patrol (or whomever)  and how to get one if the car is immobilized.  The couple of bucks you may have to spend may well be worth it somewhere down the line.  (Most states have Bill-Of-Sale forms printable off their websites.)

(If the car was previously titled in another state, it may get a little more complicated than that.)

I don't think it's a good idea to try to obliterate the VIN numbers.  They put them everywhere for a reason. (I believe the rental truck used in the Murrah Building bombing was tracked down by a VIN number on a drive shaft or something found a couple of blocks away from the explosion.)  

He says he wants it for parts, but that's today.  My present daily driver was once a salvage vehicle.  It was fixed up pretty good, and you can't tell from looking at it that it was once a piece of junk. (I think the owner had a High School Automotive class go over it thoroughly.)

I got some good advice a couple of decades ago:  "Don't try to finesse The System."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:03:35 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »
This

You ought to be able to get a replacement title as long as you're the owner of record - with millions upon millions of cars on the road, it's certain you're not the ONLY person who's lost his paperwork. (And if the state has no record of your ownership, then it doesn't matter how you get rid of the car, since the state doen't know it's yours, right?  Wink )

and this
People lose their titles all the time.  States will issue a duplicate or salvage title

Chris

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:49:27 AM »
Get the replacement title and do it the right way.  Replacement titles are relatively cheap (under $50 here in Ohio) and can be readily obtained from the county Clerk of Courts, Recorder's Office, or BMV (depending on your state's method of record keeping),  It's a lot cheaper than trying to prove after the fact that you really did dispose of the car when it's been used in whatever crime or ends up in a crash where you're being sued for liability on the vehicle.  The cost is small compared to the headaches you could get...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:16:26 AM »
^
Replacement titles are relatively cheap (under $50 here in Ohio) and can be readily obtained from the county Clerk of Courts, Recorder's Office, or BMV (depending on your state's method of record keeping),  It's a lot cheaper than trying to prove after the fact that you really did dispose of the car when it's been used in whatever crime or ends up in a crash where you're being sued...

Right.  

Look on it as a one-shot liability insurance premium.  

Cheap at twice the price.

Terry, 230RN

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »
Whenever I buy a vehicle I just assume my wife will lose the title and when I sell it I will have to do a lost title. Of course without fail the old title will be found within 3-5 days of paying to get a replacement.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »
The courts have held that one maintains ownership and responsibility for an auto until the title has been completely transferred into the name of the new owner. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »
Whenever I buy a vehicle I just assume my wife will lose the title and when I sell it I will have to do a lost title. Of course without fail the old title will be found within 3-5 days of paying to get a replacement.

That's called the PON Effect.

Oh.  "Perversity Of Nature."

Terry, 230RN

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
not that i want to know the answer, but where do you keep your guns? now there should be a nice place there for a small stack of paperwork. if it's not in a safe you might want to but a small fire box to keep them in. i keep meaning to buy one of these, seems like if i can afford it i can't lift it that day. :facepalm: (when i'm dizzy if i pick up something heavy i fall over.)

oh chain lock around something heavy would be a good idea, some people think people keep expensive things in a box like that. i bet most of the time there full of paper.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
va replacement title is 5 bucks  and they have what is called an open title  where you have relinquished it and the next guy hasn't registered it yet.  if when you sell it you fill out the lil part of the rigistration card and mail it in and keep your tags you are good to go here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

castle key

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »
This could end up as a stolen car issue with vin plate swaps.

Your dead car may be replated with clean vins, salvage title vins put on stolen cars, and many possible itterations of trouble that will boomerang back to you.

Replacement title is THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 01:44:30 PM »
I sense a pattern here...

Chris