Author Topic: Still want to swim in the ocean?  (Read 4068 times)

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Still want to swim in the ocean?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/river-monster-barracuda-is-nearly-7-feet-long-102-pounds/

Seems to me we ought to be afraid to swim in the rivers... of Angola.

I'm already afraid of MUCH SMALLER things in Angola.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »
http://cheezburger.com/7122069504
Yeah, this one might come back for more. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:23:28 AM »
Trust me under no circumstances is my happy ass going to Africa.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »

Ditto.  Between the diseases, the political instability/civil wars, the terrorist havens, and (oh yeah) about a hundred different animals and insects that can turn you into dinner, I'll pass.  I'd love to see parts of Africa, and some of the ancient civilizations (like Egypt), it ain't happening.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »
Yes, it is unfortunate that the African continent is dicey, to put it mildly. There is some great history to be seen/experienced.

I spent two weeks roaming Egypt in '89 - absolutely amazing. Even back then, I was advised to tell the locals that I was Canadian.

Usual Egyptian response was a thumbs-up, and a hearty "Canada Dry!"  :laugh:

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »

Been there, done that, the place is over-rated (and Mother Nature there is always looking for new and interesting ways to end humanity).  :P

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
Yes, it is unfortunate that the African continent is dicey, to put it mildly. There is some great history to be seen/experienced.

I spent two weeks roaming Egypt in '89 - absolutely amazing. Even back then, I was advised to tell the locals that I was Canadian.

Usual Egyptian response was a thumbs-up, and a hearty "Canada Dry!"  :laugh:

Sawdust

See, no-one hates on the Canadians. That's what happens when you remember to be polite to everyone you meet. *nods sagely*

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
See, no-one hates on the Canadians. That's what happens when you remember to be polite to everyone you meet. *nods sagely*

And also hold no threat whatsoever to any country, anywhere, ever. (Except the US, but everyone hates them, anyway)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 09:01:29 PM »
I've caught bigger fish...yup, I sure have. :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 09:05:18 PM »

I hate Canadians.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:29:01 PM »
I hate Canadians.
What you got against Canadians, aye?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

I think that hoser would have been more appropriate here:

"What you got against Canadians, hoser? "

(How does auto-correct think hoser should be bower?)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 10:19:52 PM »
See, no-one hates on the Canadians.

Says who?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »

Take off,  you hoser

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
Ditto.  Between the diseases, the political instability/civil wars, the terrorist havens, and (oh yeah) about a hundred different animals and insects that can turn you into dinner, I'll pass.  I'd love to see parts of Africa, and some of the ancient civilizations (like Egypt), it ain't happening.

89-90 Med run we were supposed to hit Haifa and Alexandria for port visits. Isreal and Egypt were having some kind of minor pissing match at the time. It was decided that if we went from one to the other it wouldn't be diomatic somehow and if we canceled one and not the other the canceled visit might feel slighted so instead we spent 3-1/2 weeks of the coast of Lybia playing follow the leader with a Lybian Kilo.  :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
Having met a 50 or so lb one face to face at a 2ft range, I'll pass. Amazing, enough dive boats feed them and they start begging.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
89-90 Med run we were supposed to hit Haifa and Alexandria for port visits. Isreal and Egypt were having some kind of minor pissing match at the time. It was decided that if we went from one to the other it wouldn't be diomatic somehow and if we canceled one and not the other the canceled visit might feel slighted so instead we spent 3-1/2 weeks of the coast of Lybia playing follow the leader with a Lybian Kilo.  :facepalm:

That must have been exciting  ;/

At least you kept them from firing off a flare in Charleston harbor  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
Following the "other guy" around is no ones definition of exciting, particularly if the other guy is an antiquated rattle trap being driven by inept morons. But, I can claim to have spent a good bit of time south of "the line of death".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Blakenzy

• friend
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"