Author Topic: PDF Software question  (Read 1625 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
PDF Software question
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:46:17 PM »
The computer I had at a project site had Adobe Acrobat 8 installed on it. Acrobat made it very easy for me to compile multiple PDF documents into a single PDF file, then insert bookmarks for distribution to the entire [my state's] Department of Transportation universe. Then we were moved to a new location, in a construction trailer, with new(er) computers that don't have Acrobat. Instead, they have the new Department of Transportation standard PDF software, Bluebeam Revu. (Except that some only have Bluebeam Vu, which is the brain-dead junior varsity version. Naturally, that's what I got.)

Bluebeam apparently has advantages over Acrobat for some tasks that many D.O.T. project engineers need to perform, but it doesn't do most of the things I need to perform. Plus, it's a resources hog, and it's slooooooooooooow. The State won't install Acrobat for me, because it's no longer supported by the D.O.T. IT department. So I think I'm going to have to install something on my personal notebook and do some sneakernet file transfers to get my monthly reports done. Acrobat is too expensive for me, so I'm looking for affordable alternatives. I've pretty much exhausted the freeware offerings, and none do everything I need. So ...

Today I came across a program called Wondershare PDFelement. https://pdf.wondershare.com/pdfelement/

Has anyone heard of it, or (better yet) used it? If anyone can provide some feedback, I'd appreciate it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: PDF Software question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
acrobat 8 is old.  The current acrobat is a subscription product.  The last time I had someone need a PDF creator, I set them up with Foxit Phantom, and they're happy with that.  Foxit Standard is a bit over $100.

Have never heard of Wondershare.  Or Bluebeam, for that matter.

You can probably find a place online to buy a copy of the older Acrobat.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:31:27 PM »
acrobat 8 is old.  The current acrobat is a subscription product.

Yes, I know. And I can't afford to subscribe when it's for my work but my employer won't reimburse me for it because as far as they are concerned, the State is setting us up with Bluebeam, and for most of our personnel Bluebeam seems to be better. For me it's a disaster.

And I'm opposed to the subscription model, anyway. I bought Office Pro 2016 rather than subscribe to Office 365, because once it's paid for it's mine for as long as I choose to continue using it.

You can probably find a place online to buy a copy of the older Acrobat.

I just spent 45 minutes looking. Nothing for less than $150, which is more than I'm willing to pay.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »
I'll root around this weekend, and see what I can find.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »
http://support.bluebeam.com/online-help/revu2017/Content/RevuHelp/01--File/02--Combine/Combine-PDFs--MT.htm

Looks like you can click a checkbox to add bookmarks too.

Interesting. That may be a newer version that what the State D.O.T. uses, because some of the computers have a separate program, Bluebeam Stapler, for merging multiple files into a single PDF. It works, but it;s clunky and I don't recall an option to create bookmarks.

All of which is academic, since the computer I've been assigned only has Bluebeam Vu, which is the freeware version that doesn't include Stapler.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »
I use pdftk to cat PDFs. Not sure about bookmarks.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
I use pdftk to cat PDFs. Not sure about bookmarks.

I hadn't heard of that one. I'll check it out. Doesn't look like it allows bookmark creation, though.

Thanks.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 05:10:28 PM »
"PDF Split and Merge" is a good free one but the whole adding links/bookmarks is another issue.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »
http://www.pdfsam.org/download-pdfsam-enhanced/ under $60 and might do what ya want.

http://www.pdfsam.org/pdfsam-enhanced/ specs

I think the basic one will do for ya http://www.pdfsam.org/pdfsam-basic/
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
I'll root around this weekend, and see what I can find.

I've got a copy of full Acrobat version 6, if that'd help.  Given what they say here, probably not.  Came bundled with something, while ago.  I'm a pack rat.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »
I've got a copy of full Acrobat version 6, if that'd help.  Given what they say here, probably not.  Came bundled with something, while ago.  I'm a pack rat.

I'm not sure what all that information in the link means, but it does make it sound like it may not be a viable solution.

I'll keep looking. Ideally, I'd like to find a legal copy of Acrobat 10 or Acrobat 11 -- Standard would be okay. Not even remotely interested in Acrobat DC -- don't want to learn a new interface. For now, I'll muddle along with one program for merging files and a separate program for creating bookmarks. It's clunky, but it gets the job done.