Author Topic: Lady of the Flies  (Read 1020 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Lady of the Flies
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:14:55 AM »
I suppose most of you by now have heard that an all-girl Lord of the Flies movie is in the works. All sides of the peanut gallery already hate the movie, though we have nothing to go on but a few comments from the film-makers. As with the controversy over the Ghostbusters remake, I am unfashionably unperturbed.

What's more interesting is that the left side of the culture has come back around to admitting sex differences. Of course, it's an excuse to grouse about "toxic masculinity," but there it is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/arts/lord-of-the-flies-girls.html

http://mashable.com/2017/08/30/all-female-lord-of-the-flies/#G2__2IIIemqh

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/No-one-needs-this-Lord-of-the-Flies-12172185.php

Props to Ben Shapiro, though, for pointing out that we already have a female Lord of the Flies (it's The View).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Lady of the Flies
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:10:56 AM »
Props to Ben Shapiro, though, for pointing out that we already have a female Lord of the Flies (it's The View).

I thought that was Lard of the Flies...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:20:48 AM »
Could we do a Laird of the Flies that's an all Scottish version?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:05:18 AM »
Could give this remake a science fiction twist . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
Gotta wonder, if the film was cast with all girls, and included the killings, would SJWs become outraged that women were being portrayed as violent?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
Gotta wonder, if the film was cast with all girls, and included the killings, would SJWs become outraged that women were being portrayed as violent?

I submit to you the "women in prison" genre of films. Female "Lord of the Flies" movies have been done dozens and dozens of times in the past, including physical violence that the SJWs say women don't do (plus boobies!).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »

This is going to be another trainwreck of a flop.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
I submit to you the "women in prison" genre of films. Female "Lord of the Flies" movies have been done dozens and dozens of times in the past, including physical violence that the SJWs say women don't do (plus boobies!).

Yeah, women are bad-ass.  Orange is the New Black.  But when it comes to dropping a boulder on a kid because she whines too much, that may be something else.  Or not.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Yeah, women are bad-ass.  Orange is the New Black.  But when it comes to dropping a boulder on a kid because she whines too much, that may be something else.  Or not.

Because the female of the species wouldn't just drop a boulder on another girl because she whines too much. The boulder wouldn't come until later and by that point it would be mercy...

There is nothing on this planet more vicious and cruel than a bunch of hormone enraged tween girls.  [tinfoil]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
I had to go check the links.  I guess they will stick with essentially children.  Would it be pre- or post puberty?  Yeah, that could get ugly especially if they insist on throwing in the usual liberal themes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge