Author Topic: What a 100 year flood is, pretty interesting.  (Read 2262 times)

freakazoid

• friend
What a 100 year flood is, pretty interesting.
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:10:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOMLlwkYIg
Probably helpful if you are planning on moving somewhere and want to lower your risk of flooding. =)

EDIT - This is the correct video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EACkiMRT0pc Thanks cordex for it. lol
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:28:16 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: What a 100 year flood is, pretty interesting.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »
The link took me to a video about running at Bonneville. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOMLlwkYIg
Neat as hell video and at the 6:30 mark you can see an orange Studebaker in the background, the owner/driver of that car was my neighbor when I was growing up, neat guy and still friends today.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:57:25 AM »
I had no idea floods moved so fast!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
Talk to your insurance agency about flood insurance WRT to where you're moving.  To.  Or that local zoning office. Or somebody.  Maybe the Corps of Engineers?

I had no idea floods moved so fast!

'Pends on many factors, major one of which is the slope.  Waterfalls have a pretty steep slope. :)

I skipped around in the video, as I do for any vid more than five minutes long, and saw nothing about 100 year flooding.

I reckon I missed it.  Sample size, no doubt.

Well, she had nice legs, anyhow.

Flash floods do move along pretty good.

https://youtu.be/ZBSspn9nHI0  (O:55)

Longer, NSFW-Language:

https://youtu.be/K7iHjce9ePE  (3:15)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:44:23 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »
Well, she had nice legs, anyhow.

She's pretty fast, if you know what I mean. Saynomore, saynomore...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
Two businessmen in a bar in Florida strike up a conversation.

B1.  "Yeah, I had a great business, but a fire started and wiped out the whole thing.  So I collected the insurance and decided to retire down here."

B2. "That's amazing. What a coincidence. I had a business, too, but a flood came along and it wiped me out.  So I also retired down here on the insurance money I got."

B1.  "Oh, really?  So tell me, how do you start a flood?"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
Talk to your insurance agency about flood insurance WRT to where you're moving.  To.  Or that local zoning office. Or somebody.  Maybe the Corps of Engineers?

Part of the title search and due diligence on the part of the lender is going to the county to review the FEMA flood maps.  Your lender MAY require you to carry flood insurance as a condition of loan.  Also, prior owners have to disclose any previous water issues (flooding, seepage, etc.) in the structure.

Flood insurance is very spendy, and doesnm't cover as much as one would hope...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 11:29:45 PM »
The link took me to a video about running at Bonneville. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOMLlwkYIg
Neat as hell video and at the 6:30 mark you can see an orange Studebaker in the background, the owner/driver of that car was my neighbor when I was growing up, neat guy and still friends today.

Woops! lol Copy pasted the wrong video. That could of turned out bad... :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EACkiMRT0pc

This is the actual video I was trying to link. lol
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
Woops! lol Copy pasted the wrong video. That could of turned out bad... :angel:

This is the actual video I was trying to link. lol

Why do 654 people dislike the video? Lots of jackasses on the interwbz I guess. Stream hydrology class was over 25 years ago, but that was a pretty good explanation for only ~7 minutes. I remember many equations in class that took 3-4 pages each to complete. It's a complex subject.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
Oh, so it wasn't just me who scratched his head over that first link.

I didn't like the corrected link.

From an educational standpoint, it sucked.

Like Ben, I understood most of it because of my previous education, but he seemed unclear of his target audience.  If it was an introduction to neophytes, the information / time ratio was too great; if for folks with a smattering of hydrology under their belt, it was unnecessary.

I think the main point of his presentation was with respect to correcting the common (he said) fallacy that a 100 year flood can only happen every hundred years. This could have been done in only two minutes of a clean, slick presentation.  In other words, TMI /sec.

The flashing of the various tables of information was not helpful since there was no explanation of their significance except in terms of the barely-visible captions of those tables.  What he was trying to portray was the vast amount of recorded data (and some inferential data) on flooding / hydrology for specific locales, and maybe he could have just given some links.  But when he put four or five sample pages at one time up on one screen for three seconds, what's the point, it was again TMI masking his (apparent) main point.

Also, his voice was unsuited to teaching, at least at that TMI /sec.  Remember the old "Columbia School of Broadcasting" ads?  PROJECT!  In other words, he needed a little smattering of a "command voice."

Naw, from a pedogogical standpoint, I cannot give it a "like" except maybe for his remark about not needing to calculate things out to five decimal places.  ("The 'constant' C is usually so close to one that we can eliminate it." :) )

Not that I didn't learn anything from it, but what I picked up "stood upon the shoulders" of what I had previously learned.

For the regular population, I can't blame them for awarding dislikes.

For the fairly well-trained engineering-mind.... meh, we already knew that 100 year floods don't necessarily happen only once in 100 years.

So it all kinda came across as a failed attempt at a mini-NOVA presentation on PBS.  (Not that I haven't cringed at some of their stuff, too.)

So let the yeah buts begin.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:57:55 AM by 230RN »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I have zero education in that field and I didn't find the information/time ration too great. Everything was super easy to understand and follow along with. For the graphs, just pause the video if you need; I hate videos that have them sit on the screen forever since with a youtube video you can pause it. The point of the video didn't really require you to study the graphs anyways.