Author Topic: And yet another computer/Internet rant  (Read 897 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
And yet another computer/Internet rant
« on: September 10, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »
The rant du jour is autoplay.

I'm a certified olde pharte. I learned how to read at an early age, I've been a reader almost all my life, and when I click on a link to a news story -- I want to read the article. If they want to put up a video and give me the option of viewing it -- whenever I may or may not choose to do so -- that's fine. But these days it seems all embedded videos are set for autoplay. More often than not, I'll be halfway through reading an artcle and, all of a suden, a voice starts blasting at me from my computer speakers. There's nothing on the screen to suggest where it's coming from, so I then have to stop reading, and scoll up and down until I can figure out where the video is that's making the racket, and perhaps silence it. Sometimes they can't even be stopped -- in which case I just close that site and look for an article on the topic on some other web site.

Awhile back I found a way in Firefox to disable autoplay, but it had other effects that were troublesome, so I had to go back and reactivate autoplay. Is there any way to put a stake through the heart of autoplay in Firefox without causing unwanted side effects?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: And yet another computer/Internet rant
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
It's even worse when it happens at work.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »
It's even worse when it happens at work.

Roger that!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
And how 'bout the really badly-designed pages that have multiple autoplay videos all going at the same time?   :mad:
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »
I've noticed "news" outlets are notoriously bad about that.   In the middle of the article, they'll have an auto-play video start up of their reporters basically reading you the article you're already reading!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 12:13:15 AM »
When that happens I just reach over and turn down my $16.00 Gigaware speakers hooked up to my laptop that produce better sound quality than my old B&O speakers and amp from the 70's.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:44:43 AM »
When that happens I just reach over and turn down my $16.00 Gigaware speakers hooked up to my laptop that produce better sound quality than my old B&O speakers and amp from the 70's.

My problem is when I'm already listening to something else.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:05:57 AM »
I've noticed "news" outlets are notoriously bad about that.   In the middle of the article, they'll have an auto-play video start up of their reporters basically reading you the article you're already reading!

Actually, the "article" is often basically a transcript of what they broadcast over the airwaves. I still prefer reading it rather than listening to it.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:25:07 AM »
I dislike autoplay videos as well.  I especially hate the videos that follow the page as I scroll down.  When I get to one of those websites, I immediately leave that website. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?