Author Topic: Welcome to 1984  (Read 8816 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Welcome to 1984
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
http://m.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1

Excellent, detailed article on the NSA's shiny new data collection center in Utah. And of course, if this much evidence of wrong doing is publicly available I shudder to think how much is actually occurring. The NSA has always been the scariest bit of fed.gov to me, as they seem to actually be somewhat competent.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Welcome to 1984
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »
They are primarily involved in sig/int and elint espionage and it's not like they have an army of secret hitmen around, so they aren't really all that amazingly dangerous.

I would, however, avoid discussing explosives and bombmaking and militia-related stuff over any kind of elctronic medium.

Oh Wait.

:facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
Bye, TommyGunn!  Wave to the black dark green helicopters for us when the fastropes start to hit the ground outside your house!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »
Well, fear not, 1984 begets 1985...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »
It was an interesting article, though I found the hyperbolic wording in much of it to be a little tiring (to include the magazine cover: "Deep in the Utah desert..." Bluffdale isn't hidden deep in the desert, it's right on I-15 in the Salt Lake valley surrounded by increasingly dense suburb.) Hyperbole aside, always a good idea to watch the watchers so much as possible.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
Ironically, 1984 was a pretty good year for me. Spent quite a bit of time at sea that year but "in port" time was good.
I was stationed at San Diego and we had an apartment in El Cajon. Only had one kid then, wasn't in debt and we were still young enough to screw our brains out every night I was home.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »
Aw, great. I'm not going to be born for another 24 days.  :facepalm:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
I wonder what would happen if someone tried some sort of distributed computing project, like Folding @ Home, SETI @ Home etc. on the BIONIC model, but more peer-to-peer instead. So it somehow tried to thwart .gov's domestic spying efforts everywhere on the net through increasing (or maybe more appropriately reducing) the signal to noise ratio to the point of uselessness for the .gov and their big ears.

I think being able to "jam" domestic civilian spying by .govs might be just as important as robust anonymous encrypted digital cash for telling .govs to FOAD in the long run, and ushering in Libertarian minarchies as the default mode of governance for the world.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »
Huh, when I saw AJ posting I assumed he'd be predicting this would birth the singularity...  ;)

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
I wonder what would happen if someone tried some sort of distributed computing project, like Folding @ Home, SETI @ Home etc. on the BIONIC model, but more peer-to-peer instead. So it somehow tried to thwart .gov's domestic spying efforts everywhere on the net through increasing (or maybe more appropriately reducing) the signal to noise ratio to the point of uselessness for the .gov and their big ears.

I think being able to "jam" domestic civilian spying by .govs might be just as important as robust anonymous encrypted digital cash for telling .govs to FOAD in the long run, and ushering in Libertarian minarchies as the default mode of governance for the world.

You, comrade, will have an unfortunate accident one of these days.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
You, comrade, will have an unfortunate accident one of these days.

They will just rebuild him using bionics.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »
Wait, isn't this the plot to Terminator 3?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
I need to research Echelon, as it has been a few years.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:24:49 AM »
I need to research Echelon, as it has been a few years.
No need. Echelon is researching you.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 07:21:17 AM »
No need. Echelon is researching you.

Dayum, that was good!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »
I'm frankly a little surprised that Orwell's 1984 hasn't somehow or another been banned from production and sale and distribution.

Under pretext of some obscure law or another buried in things like The Patriot Act.  Or whatever.  I'm sure there's something.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:20:20 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »
I'm frankly a little surprised that Orwell's 1984 hasn't somehow or another been banned from production and sale and distribution.

Under pretext of some obscure law or another buried in things like The Patriot Act.  Or whatever.  I'm sure there's something.

With government education providing the narrative to a populace who have been taught "stuff" but not critical thinking skills, there is no need to ban subversive literature.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »
meh.

This is about as threatening as building any other data center. In other words, it's not. Folks like to focus on the Jason Bourne or James Bond factor. All the big flashy stuff. Trust me, the most annoying stuff is very publicly available and no one cares. I whined about it in the other thread, about the renewal EO of a 50, 60 year old law.

That said, in the network diagram is kinda cool. Helped run some of that network back in the day.

I always loved and feared working with the NSA folks. Only another government employee would truly understand. Every single NSA employee I met was intelligence, efficient, competent and polite. Let me repeat that. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. It used to creep me out, severely. I once accused one of the cooler NSA guys of being lizard people, because there's no way they could be government employees. I still honestly suspect that to be the case... Completely unnatural. Even with the (completely accurate, IMHO) lizard people belief, there's this NCIS agent I need to beat up. Dude failed to slip me a number for a very attractive crypto lady geek I met in Vegas. Dude KNEW I had a soft spot for ultra hawt geek ladies with similar clearances. Dude tried to bribe me with an extremely nice knife. Hmph! Last I heard, she was off the market in short order, found a nice boyfriend. Gee, like THAT was a surprise.

He laughed and said because technically, they were a "black" agency on paper, they had a lot easier HR process. Basically, no unions and 90% of the normal government HR red tape can be ignored. They tend to promote from within and rarely put outsiders into anything but the highest political slots. You don't have USDA poultry senior executive admins transferring to head of say, Central Asian signal intelligence, so incompetent folks can't just hop ship. There's alsoa culture of merit (and geek cred competition) that lingers even as you climb the office hierarchy. Ultra-nerds do not like office politics and tend not to like administrative folks that are dumb and experts of office politics.

Of all the fed agencies, I trust their professionalism the most. Aside from their uhh, really really black side, they tend to be a lot more passive than any other agency, but they work very hard to project an ultracompetent and all-knowing institutional persona. Even other agencies get creeped out by them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »

No need for them to worry about that, unless they make another film adaptation. Or a video game. It's not like people read real literature, or anything.

(Tangentially related: I went to a Barnes & Noble last night, and thought I'd check to see if there was a copy of Hawthorne's Celestial Railroad to peruse while I was there. Major American author, one of his better-known works, huge store - should be a slam dunk, right? Nope. People don't read real lit anymore, so why stock it?)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 04:37:12 PM »
No need for them to worry about that, unless they make another film adaptation. Or a video game. It's not like people read real literature, or anything.

Twue, twue, vewy twue.  It seems like every time I go into my favorite bookstore (semi-major, two retail outlets) to find a copy of something, I have to order it.

I waited a month to find a copy of "The Blue Lagoon," (the actual book) out of the local library.  They finally located a copy in a University library in Idaho.

Terry, 230RN

AMUSEY:

Cultural impact -- Nineteen Eighty-Four in popular media

The effect of Nineteen Eighty-Four on the English language is extensive; the concepts of Big Brother, Room 101, the Thought Police, thoughtcrime, unperson, memory hole (oblivion), doublethink (simultaneously holding and believing contradictory beliefs) and Newspeak (ideological language) have become common phrases for denoting totalitarian authority.

Doublespeak and groupthink are both deliberate elaborations of doublethink, while the adjective "Orwellian" denotes "characteristic and reminiscent of George Orwell's writings" especially Nineteen Eighty-Four. The practice of ending words with "-speak" (e.g. mediaspeak) is drawn from the novel.[61] Orwell is perpetually associated with the year 1984; in July 1984 an asteroid discovered by Antonín Mrkos was named after Orwell.

(From wiki article thereon.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:50:37 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 06:04:18 PM »
meh.

This is about as threatening as building any other data center. In other words, it's not. Folks like to focus on the Jason Bourne or James Bond factor. All the big flashy stuff. Trust me, the most annoying stuff is very publicly available and no one cares. I whined about it in the other thread, about the renewal EO of a 50, 60 year old law.

That said, in the network diagram is kinda cool. Helped run some of that network back in the day.

I always loved and feared working with the NSA folks. Only another government employee would truly understand. Every single NSA employee I met was intelligence, efficient, competent and polite. Let me repeat that. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. It used to creep me out, severely. I once accused one of the cooler NSA guys of being lizard people, because there's no way they could be government employees. I still honestly suspect that to be the case... Completely unnatural. Even with the (completely accurate, IMHO) lizard people belief, there's this NCIS agent I need to beat up. Dude failed to slip me a number for a very attractive crypto lady geek I met in Vegas. Dude KNEW I had a soft spot for ultra hawt geek ladies with similar clearances. Dude tried to bribe me with an extremely nice knife. Hmph! Last I heard, she was off the market in short order, found a nice boyfriend. Gee, like THAT was a surprise.

He laughed and said because technically, they were a "black" agency on paper, they had a lot easier HR process. Basically, no unions and 90% of the normal government HR red tape can be ignored. They tend to promote from within and rarely put outsiders into anything but the highest political slots. You don't have USDA poultry senior executive admins transferring to head of say, Central Asian signal intelligence, so incompetent folks can't just hop ship. There's alsoa culture of merit (and geek cred competition) that lingers even as you climb the office hierarchy. Ultra-nerds do not like office politics and tend not to like administrative folks that are dumb and experts of office politics.

Of all the fed agencies, I trust their professionalism the most. Aside from their uhh, really really black side, they tend to be a lot more passive than any other agency, but they work very hard to project an ultracompetent and all-knowing institutional persona. Even other agencies get creeped out by them.

We do try.  ;)

Actually, I think I'm gonna kick a resume off to them. It'd be cool to work with them again.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »
The problem, I think, is that it is fundamentally amoral like all fed.gov bureaucracies. They do what they're told, and as Rev points out do it damn well.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »
Ultimately NSA will spy on itself.   Implosion is our friend.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
Ultimately NSA will spy on itself.   Implosion is our friend.

I'm not following.  Can you elaborate a bit?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »
I'm not following.  Can you elaborate a bit?

Reclusive loop?    =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.