Author Topic: Is it all about the money: red light cameras  (Read 3732 times)

Levant

• friend
Re: Is it all about the money: red light cameras
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »
That's one Sawzall blade away from being in my front yard.  "Get off my lawn!!!"  =D =D

Also see http://www.shortyellowlights.com/standards/

For the recommended yellow light times and formula used by the Institute for Traffic Engineers.  If the yellows are shorter then that they are creating a traffic hazard.  That may or may not be actionable in court.  IANAL,NDISAAHIELN.  Your mileage may vary. Check your state lawyers and local traffic engineer.

Nice formula except that I think it needs reaction time of 2 to 3 seconds instead of 1 but what do I know?  I'm not a traffic engineer but the states do publish 2 to 3 second reaction times.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Is it all about the money: red light cameras
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
I think the red light camera regulations they passed in Texas force them to follow Texas DOT regs for yellow light times and such.  They also have to do some sort of traffic study for each camera.  It makes it harder to put them up and harder to screw with them afterwards. 

Personally, if the traffic safety of the intersection or the section of highway is so important, then it is important enough to be done by a uniformed cop in a marked car.  If someone does something illegal, they should be chased down and given a ticket right then.  Getting in the mail later defeats the purpose.  Half the people won't even remember doing anything. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge