Author Topic: "We're heading for a Misgendering Crisis"  (Read 3658 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: "We're heading for a Misgendering Crisis"
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2021, 04:23:12 PM »
The Screwtape Letters read like the platform of the Democrat party.

Where do you think they got their ideas?

It looks to me as if the DNC gets all of their ideas and plans from apocryphal stories that are meant as dire warnings but they take them as "how-to" manuals.
1984, Animal Farm, Idiocracy... The list is endless.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2021, 05:39:01 PM »
Enlighten me. I know a little Altar-Boy Latin and that made no sense.

Google translate was no help: "The word that God ignored them away to the man."

REF?  Besides the page citation.

The source I linked to translated it in a footnote.  "They that have despised the word of God, from them shall the word of
man also be taken away."

I'll trust Lewis' translation over Google's.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2021, 07:26:38 PM »
The Great Divorce is really good also.

I owned the paperback for nearly two decades before I finally read it! It was part of a paperback box set.

It was a great read, I kicked myself for not picking it up sooner.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2021, 07:38:04 PM »
The Great Divorce is really good also.

I owned the paperback for nearly two decades before I finally read it! It was part of a paperback box set.

It was a great read, I kicked myself for not picking it up sooner.

Some group in Seattle put some of those stories into short film form:  The Great Divorce Project.  Some pretty good, some not so good.  Some faithful, others a more loose interpretation.

I like this one: The Great Divorce: The Intellectual.  And this one I can't really identify from my recollection of the book, but it's good too: The Great Divorce: The Moralist.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2021, 10:06:21 PM »
I'm outta this one for the simple reason that I can't understand how gayness can be destructive, since I've known a couple of openly gay people over the decades, and only one was a little over the top, destruction-wise.

And I never heard of a bunch of gays hanging a straight guy on a fence, beating him up, and leaving him to die.

As far as my simple 82 year old mind can tell, most of the destructiveness I've seen has been from passionately self-righteous straights, not from passionately self-righteous gays.

Terry,

I also don't think homosexuals and transgenders are a threat (at least in and of themselves). Even violent groups like BLM and Antifa are not really a threat - by themselves. They are only people that more powerful leftists use as tools. Black/homosexual rights (both real and imaginary) are tools the Left uses. Most of the people pushing leftist social agenda items are straight and white. Some are true believers, but not all.

A lot of conservatives make the mistake of thinking that it's the homosexuals/blacks/etc that are doing this to us (whatever "this" is), and they verbally attack those groups. So I don't blame you, or anyone else, for thinking that conservatives perceive these groups as being primarily responsible/culpable.

In reality, social issues are used to paint people as bigots, discrediting them, and enforcing Leftist policies by intimidation. If you can be canceled for not baking a gay cake, you can also expect to be canceled for disagreeing with the $15 minimum wage. They're also used to disrupt and destabilize our culture - not by turning people gay, but by introducing doubt about the validity of our culture and nation, and morality and reality in general. The most obvious lies the Leftmedia tell these days are centered on race, sex, and gender.

So the point is, minority groups are just caught in the middle here. It's not about exalting or attacking them. It's about the Left using them as tools against America and Americans.

As for Matthew Shepard, the source you cited acknowledges that there's significant doubt he was killed because of his sexual orientation, and it doesn't exactly present much evidence the murderers were driven by self-righteous heterosexism. Maybe wounded male pride...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2021, 10:08:30 PM »
It's from That Hideous Strength by CS Lewis.

That novel was practically prophetic in its foreshadowing of the type of humans and their organization style that would eventually seize power in the west.

Our institutions have built in structural evil, but the evil doesn't have anything to do with patriarchy or being "white".

Yep.  I should have been more explicit in my reference, but odd phrases from obscure SF novels I've read over the years often bubble up through the midden of memories. 

I've picked up a copy of That Hideous Strength to re-read it.  Probably 45 years on from the first time.  More experience, different perspective.  Thought it would be useful.

It is "Abolition of Man", in fictional form.

One thing I was listening to on THS, made the comment that this was more of C. S. Lewis writing a Charles Williams novel, than one influenced by his friend Tolkien.  This seems certainly true.  Who but Williams would bring Merlin and the successor of Arthur into modern England?   (Never read Charles Williams?   I suggest "Descent into Hell" or "All Hallows Eve".  E-texts are out there in the Interwebz.  )

As everything unravels and panic ensues, the magician Merlin cries out the book's greatest line: "Qui Verbum Dei contempserunt, eis auferetur etiam verbum hominis — They who have despised the Word of God, from them even the word of man shall be taken away."  It is the curse of Babel cast upon them.

"It was Merlin who brought release to both. He had left the dining
room as soon as the curse of Babel was well fixed upon the enemies.
No one had seen him go. Wither had once heard his voice calling
loud and intolerably glad above the riot of nonsense, ' Qui Verbum
Dei contempserunt, eis auferetur etiam verbum hominis .'"

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2021, 06:01:23 PM »
Getting violent
Woman reports a naked man in the spa's women section and protests and counter protests fire up.
Sounds like she IDed his gender just fine.

Literal dumpster fire: Mostly peaceful protesters surround spa where a woman complained about a naked trans woman; Updated with more fighting!
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/07/03/literal-dumpster-fire-mostly-peaceful-protesters-surround-spa-where-a-woman-complained-about-a-naked-trans-woman/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes