Author Topic: Tailgaters. What do you do?  (Read 6896 times)

crt360

• friend
Tailgaters. What do you do?
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 01:41:27 PM »
I never block anybody and I still get tailgaters.  I try to ignore them, but they are a serious hazard.  I drive on I-35 frequently and it seems 80-85mph is the normal speed of traffic.  If you drop under 80, everyone and their grandma will zip by you.  When I'm in the right lane, minding my own business, and already going 10mph over the speed limit, why does someone need to sit on my bumper?  It's usually a mom-type in a Suburban, college kids in Explorers and Accords, or the aforementioned rice burner.  They're all free to get in the left lane and pass me, but it's like I've got a map to the Holy Grail on my bumper and they're trying to read it.  They don't seem to be particularly menacing types, just ignorant, or maybe they really are drafting.  Who knows?  The ones that are real asses are the truck drivers.  There are safe truckers out there, but not enough.  If you can see that there are twenty cars packed in the lane in front of me, get your 18-wheeler off my bumper.  Has anyone ever notice how some truckers will try to push the right lane if the left lane isn't going fast enough?
For entertainment purposes only.

...has left the building.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 02:06:32 PM »
Gunsmith speaks the truth. Maybe it has to do with the male ego where people think that faster drivers need to be punished or put in their place, well guess what, someone who drives fast will drive fast the next day even if you cut him off and block his way. I'm definitely against driving above your limits, but it isn't my responsibility to make sure everyone else on the road drives within MY limits.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2006, 02:46:47 PM »
Screwing with tailgaters isn't about making them drive at what ever speed your limit is at - it's a your in my space get the hell out of it thing.

I don't mind getting out of the way of some guy who's in the right lane and comes up on me and hangs back until I get over. Tailgaters on the other are practicly begging for whatever they get. some prick rushes up on your ass and is within a car length or two going 75 or 80 - well - he's telling you to get the hell off his road. He wouldn't care if you were going 90 he'd still be on your ass 'cuz you're on his road.

Those guys get the treatment - period.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2006, 11:47:29 PM »
I forgot one. I had a Pontiac with a misdirected sprayer on the windshield wiper. Sprayed clear over the car, like it was a trunk lid cleaner.  Rather than fix it, I just cleaned my windshield everytime I had a tailgater. Cheesy

One more time, slower traffic move right!

If you must resort to defensive driving in the sense that the best defense is a good offense the key is to get into the other driver's head without them knowing they should be mad. Example, serial tailgater coming from the rear, weaving in and out and such. I let them pass and once they are alongside, bottled up 2 inches behind some other car I just slowly ease over to the left, usually so my tires are ticking the center stripe reflectors. No hollywood quick swerve run them off the road thing, just an imperceptible yet precise drift. The invasion of the personal space to the side really confuses all of my test subjects, they invariably back off, often stop tailgating all cars even once past me. I think the confusion factor is there because they cannot formulate the proper response. I know how to respond to someone crowding, you either move or feed them a fender. Most feeble minded drivers cannot grasp such. It is a wonderful manuever in the sense you do not create any hazards of speed changes or put yourself in a space to be brake checked. I despise the brake check, because it inflammes egos and really stacks things up about 30 cars back in heavy traffic.

On a related note, I knew exactly how wide my old car was, I would drive around base ticking the little plastic stands in the crosswalks with my mirrors, just for fun. I had one guy who I watched for 30 miles brake check people, block, weave in and out, test the shoulder, gesture etc. Meanwhile, I kept up without any of that, amazing isn't it?  Well, traffic cleared out onto one of my favorite exit ramps, it is a two lane sweeping right hander with a little uphill. I usually run through it at 90 if it is clear just for a cheap thrill. This guy is ahead of me and for no good reason other than expression of ire I pass him in the inside lane doing 80 which is about ten faster than he, just barely ticking his right side mirror with my driver side, purposefully of course. Fella settled down after that, nary a paint mark on my mirror. Cheesy

Draft? If I am towing I will draft if I can find a big truck doing 65-70. not tailgate, but a one second interval, when you get 8mpg towing, it really helps.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 11:51:46 PM »
I do remember this bumper sticker I saw once, "Stop tailgating me or I'll flick a booger on your windshield"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2006, 03:52:31 AM »
Move one lane to the right and let'em pass.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 04:19:32 AM »
I'm a right-lane driver.  When I come up to a slower car I get over and pass.  So when I get a tailgater and there is another lane I know that it's macho bullshit.  I just slow until I'm exactly at the speed limit and kick on the cruise control. Smiley  As soon as they see I'm not playing their game they back off or pass.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2006, 05:28:43 AM »
Tap brakes, slow down, and then change lanes when the opportunity presents itself.  If in my wife's SUV I also hit the rear windshield wiper so it sprays thier winshield.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2006, 07:00:15 AM »
I used to love playing with tailgaters when I was younger. I thought I was "teaching them a lesson" and that eventually they would "get it" and learn to "play nice".

Ahh, misguided youth that I was.

I just ignore them now if I can't get out of the way, or do my best to let them pass if I can. I would rather have them out front where I can keep an eye on them than behind me any time. I am not going to risk my property or my safety over something so pointless.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2006, 11:08:55 AM »
Quote from: Werewolf
Screwing with tailgaters isn't about making them drive at what ever speed your limit is at - it's a your in my space get the hell out of it thing.

I don't mind getting out of the way of some guy who's in the right lane and comes up on me and hangs back until I get over. Tailgaters on the other are practicly begging for whatever they get. some prick rushes up on your ass and is within a car length or two going 75 or 80 - well - he's telling you to get the hell off his road. He wouldn't care if you were going 90 he'd still be on your ass 'cuz you're on his road.

Those guys get the treatment - period.
So if you were in downtown NYC would you grab people that are walking much faster than you because they get too close? I completely see your point, tailgaters are no doubt jackasses, but I disagree with trying to punish everyone who annoys you. If I did that in a Wal-Mart, I'd be there for days on end. Wink

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2006, 12:03:33 PM »
Well, had a tailgater today. Let off the gas a little, just so the distance between us started to close, then sped back up to my original speed. They got the message and stayed a nice distance off my bumper after that. Sometimes peolple are just daydreaming and need a little wake up call.

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2006, 12:46:35 PM »
Quoting:

---------
Were you the poster that turned me on to the wondrous and amazing tools that are springloaded punches?
---------

Nope.  Seriously, wasn't me.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2006, 02:04:41 PM »
So if you were in downtown NYC would you grab people that are walking much faster than you because they get too close?
The size of the personal space envelope shrinks considerably when walking as do the potential consequences in case you are bumped.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2006, 05:00:29 PM »
Quote from: Iapetus
or anywhere advertising custom ones).
www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=custom+bumper+stickers&btnG=Google+Search" target="_blank">Here you go

Chuck Dye

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2006, 05:49:26 PM »
To various posters:  people who drive 3500 pound sedans or even 6000 pound SUVs, need to consider the wisdom of trying to hold school with drivers of 30,000 to 80,000 (to well over 100,000 in some states) trucks.  

Sheesh!  Just ask the 28 pound three year old who collided with me, 360 pounds, at the store last week. Cheesy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006, 06:38:07 PM »
I always wanted to install one of those exhaust oil injectors like they have on planes at airshows.  Tongue

Nothing fancy - just a 1qt reservoir with a little hand pump under the dash: a couple pumps and you are laying down a smoke screen Cheesy
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2006, 01:04:19 PM »
I do the slowing down method.  Earlier this month, I was slowing down for a tailgater, and in the right hand exit lane (I was flaunting the speed limit at the time, so there was zero excuse).  Mr. Impatient decided to pass me on the right, on the shoulder.  He apparently didn't notice the broken-down, parked car on the shoulder.  Well, 80mph to 0mph in a very short distance is a bad thing.

I told the 911 operator she didn't have to hurry with the ambulance.  Ugggh, I didn't need to see that.  But I have very little sympathy for him.  He could have taken me out by pushing the parked car into me and spinning my car back onto the freeway.  Jerk.

Some people just seem to be incapable of driving unless there is a car 6 feet in front of them.  Cell phone users do this all the time.  They will match whatever speed you are doing.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2006, 06:49:52 PM »
Ignoring them is not an option for me. They are putting me in danger by following so close, so I slow down until they feel compelled to pass.

If they can't pass, I'll pace a car in the next lane until the tailgater backs off.

If you really need to pass (pregnant wife etc), keep a safe distance and flash the high-beams, and I'll move.

All this, of course, is because if I'm in the left lane I'm already going as close to 80 as I can. If I see you coming faster than that I'll move anyway, but if you tailgate me you lose your chance.
D. R. ZINN

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2006, 11:04:29 AM »
I run !-10 from Tallahassee to San Antonio, back and forth, probably four to five times a year.  Lots of high density traffic between Mobile and Houston.  Lots of semis.  I merely watch my rear-view mirror and get out of the way of anybody who's moving up quickly.  I then pull back out and keep on passing the slow stuff.

For many, it's less "tail-gating" than it is that the highway is over-crowded.  No problem where they've made I-10 three lanes each way.  Even Houston at rush hour isn't the serious case of the horribles that it used to be, where the added lanes are complete.

I've generally avoided trouble by looking several cars ahead of me, to see if any of them are going to have to slow down.  That way I can change lanes or go to the shoulder if everything turns to garbage.

On two lane highways in west Texas, I've seen folks in the rear-view who quickly overtake me, and then tail-gate.  Then, finally they'll blare on past and away they go.  Invariably, it's California plates.  I finally figured out why they behave that way:  They're lonesome!  Gotta have somebody to tail-gate for a while, just to re-establish the emotional comfort of home.  Once that's done, they go on.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2006, 05:00:36 PM »
Big ol' Pinnel hitch sticking out the back usually is enough to keep em back Wink

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »
where are all these tailgators coming from? I drove for years in the SF bay area, it's really congested.
I never had a problem. I like to drive slow sometimes, like after work..so I stay in the slow lane those times.
People who are driving in the fast lane should step on the gas or get out of the way. if you're paying attention
like you should be you'll see the faster car in your rearview.
In CA if your on a one lane road the rule is if you have 5 cars behind you you must use the turnout.
I am quite the speed demon but even I pull over to let the faster guy go.
A female highway police officer told me that often it is women who refuse to get out of the way, my ex girl friend was one of those drivers...she was "scared" or yakking to much.....

I wonder if all the gun nut bumperstickers scare people off?....one time I flashed my lights at a gal doing 60 in the fast lane , she had a ton of cars behid her (65 speed limit) I finally got a chance to pass her and she gave me the finger...go figure!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2006, 05:29:05 AM »
I was on the highway last night in the left lane going about 75mph passing a car going about 65mph; when I was just about done passing I noticed there was someone right on my tail. So I completed my pass and then moved over to the right lane. And for some reason it didn't bother me in the slightest bit...

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2006, 09:15:55 AM »
Pull over or otherwise escape-- I'm not playing ego games with motor vehicles. They kill more people than guns. I doubt any of you would use guns in the same "teach youse a lesson!" manner.

But I have been known to forget to open up a space for the selfish merger. But I also have been known to let people in who signal, no matter what. One time, I was at a red light, and this guy in an f-150 wanted to get over 2 lanes, into mine, right after the light turned. So he rolled down the window and asked me, and said please and thank you.

I was so stunned by the courtesy that by the time I had started to say "yes, of course", the light was green and he had already booked it out in front of me, tapping his brake lights in thank you. Then I saw his plates and realized the cause of his courtesy -- he was from out of state!

Those are the interactions I MUCH prefer to have, than pride battles. I might be able to drive safely, but the other person might not. Ok, I'll admit it, I'd rather live than get cheap pride thrills. It's true.

You got me.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

M14rick

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2006, 09:32:32 AM »
I ignore tailgaters, I drive the speed limit, stay in the right lane and drive defensively. let 'em go......

280plus

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2006, 09:54:31 AM »
There's the one I had once. I was overtaking a car in the slow lane and although I could see the car way back in the fast lane was going like hell, I pulled out there anyways. Within no time he was on my bumper tight and we're both doing 80. It took a few seconds to get around the car I was passing even though I sped up to 85 just so I could get out of this fool's way. As I got around and pulled back over to the slow lane he went screaming by me (I'm still doing 85) and as he passed, out of the corner of my eye, I catch him giving me the one fingered salute. Almost simutaneously I hear the "whoop" of a siren and wouldn't you know HE was being tailed by a couple Staties in an unmarked Suburban. They had witnessed thw whole episode, salute and all. He was propmtly pulled over. One of the happiest moments of my life. I didn't bat an eye. just kept on a drivin'.

Cheesy