Author Topic: And now, a message from Ford...  (Read 4021 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
And now, a message from Ford...
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:58:03 PM »
Ford bans competitors' vehicles from lot

Firm's Dearborn Truck Plant will require employees to drive a Ford or park across the street.

By David Ellis, CNNMoney.com staff writer

January 27, 2006: 2:31 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Employees at Ford's Dearborn Truck Plant in Dearborn, Mich., will have to drive Ford Motor Co. vehicles to work or park across the street, the plant manager announced earlier this week.

The new parking policy, which is scheduled to take effect Feb. 1, was instituted by plant manager Rob Webber just as Ford reported losses of $1.6 billion from its North American auto operations in 2005 and Monday announced plans to close 14 plants and cut 30,000 jobs as it tries to reverse losses and respond to declining U.S. market share.

The Dearborn Truck Plant, which represents one portion of the Rouge facility, has 2,600 union employees and makes the F-150 pickup truck, the best selling vehicle in the United States.

A Ford spokesman told CNNMoney the company supported the move, although it had not been extended to the other North American manufacturing facilities.

Officials with UAW Local 600, who backed the announcement, are scheduled to conduct talks with management next week to finalize the details and discuss expanding the ban across the entire Rouge facility, union president Jerry Sullivan told CNNMoney.

"There has to be something put in place to grab people's attention and to make a statement that this is a serious thing," said Sullivan, whose union represents approximately 8,000 workers at the larger Rouge complex. "It's up to us to stand up and do what is right and to drive a vehicle from the company you work for."

The Dearborn Truck Plant parking policy will allow vehicles made by non-U.S. Ford brands such as Mazda, Volvo and Land Rover, Sullivan said.

The Detroit News, which first reported the story Friday, said the new parking policy in Dearborn was embraced by factory employees at a meeting to discuss the auto manufacturer's latest restructuring plan.

But one plant employee, who did not want to be quoted, told the paper he wasn't happy he would no longer be able to drive his Chrysler to the factory.

"They can't tell you how to spend your money," said one veteran tradesman. "It's still a free country." He said he got a better deal on his Chrysler than he could on a Ford.

"I got to go where I can get the most bang for my buck," he said.

Another Dearborn Truck employee told the newspaper he approved the move, though.

"You buy what you build," said Rufus McWilliams. "That only makes sense."

The Detroit Truck Plant opened in 2004 as part of the $2 billion renovation of the company's 1,100-acre Rouge facility, the paper reported.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 01:35:57 PM »
I think that is a childish measure.  I don't pay any attention to the make and model of cars that are parked at that plant, or any, as I pass by.  Even if I did, it wouldn't have any effect on my confidence in that company's product.

The measure is unfair to people who have to drive the best value they can find.

Maybe if Ford built superior products,  employees would prefer to buy a Ford because of its quality, and this would be a non-issue.  Instead, the company decided to bully its workers.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:54:16 PM »
Or they could make sure that every vehicke in the parking lot was a Ford by providing a vehicle for each employee...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 01:56:06 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
Or they could make sure that every vehicke in the parking lot was a Ford by providing a vehicle for each employee...

Brad
That's an even better idea!  Who would turn down use of a free vehicle?

onions!

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 01:56:44 PM »
Big deal,GM has had that policy for years,Non GM vehicles park outside the fenced in lot in an ajoining alley @ the sheetmetal plant in Wyoming ,Mi.The others in the area have the same policy.

...has left the building.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 02:08:12 PM »
Quote from: Declaration Day

Brad
That's an even better idea!  Who would turn down use of a free vehicle?
Certainly not any UAW people, they love "free" stuff.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »
Either provide the vehicle or screw 'em.  That is a total infringement upon people who live in a free market economy.

If I work for Citibank, and can get a better deal on a mortgage from Wachovia (not likely, but humor me), why should I be forced to do business with my company to my own financial detriment?

If I work for Nike, should I be sent home for showing up in Reeboks?  
I'd be raising some hatred and discontent.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 02:26:15 PM »
Yeah I've seen this policy at other plants, GM in linden, NJ for example had parking for GM, then for domestics, then for imports getting farther away from the plant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »
It wasn't that long ago one of the big beer companies fired a guy who was shot in the newspaper drinking another brand!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,147580,00.html
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Justin

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 02:40:21 PM »
Childish and moronic.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »
But one plant employee, who did not want to be quoted, told the paper he wasn't happy he would no longer be able to drive his Chrysler to the factory.

"They can't tell you how to spend your money," said one veteran tradesman. "It's still a free country." He said he got a better deal on his Chrysler than he could on a Ford.
That doesn't sound like a very good endorsement of the product that he makes.

I'm actually suprised that the company came out with the rule before the union did.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 03:01:23 PM »
Rule Number One - Do not piss off the people who make your money. The question now is how they intend to handle their newfound 20% dip in product quality...

Big business still doesn't get it. You get productivity by enticing your employees to contribute, not by forcing them to submit.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 03:31:44 PM »
Big business still doesn't get it. You get productivity by enticing your employees to contribute, not by forcing them to submit.

Brad
Amen, bro.  Treat employees as stakeholders, co-owners instead of sharecroppers.  
I'll tell you one thing that gets in the way of that: Unions.  At the turn of the 19th century, they were a godsend.  There was rampant sweatshop and mill employee abuse, and they were needed.  
Since post-WWII, they do nothing but create conflict, friction and division between employees and employers with their greed.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 03:38:02 PM »
That is a total infringement upon people who live in a free market economy.
By the same ideology, it is a free market environment, if you don't like the rules, you are free to find employment elsewhere.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 04:02:45 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
By the same ideology, it is a free market environment, if you don't like the rules, you are free to find employment elsewhere.
Good point, but good luck finding a job elsewhere in automotive manufacturing.  I hear Mexico is nice this time of year.

I don't think what they're doing is or should be illegal, but I do think it is unethical, and extremely petty.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 04:24:49 PM »
fnvk wrote:

Good point, but good luck finding a job elsewhere in automotive manufacturing.  I hear Mexico is nice this time of year.

I don't think what they're doing is or should be illegal, but I do think it is unethical, and extremely petty.
If you look on the flipside of the equation, there are plenty of people out there who would love to have a $30/hr job and wouldn't mind buying the company's products if that is all that's required.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 06:06:24 PM »
I'll stick with Honda, thanks all the same.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 08:21:22 PM »
Very hard to beat the value (price vs. quality) of Hondas & Toyotas.  Next level down, IMO are Nissans & Subarus.

I'm kinda partial to these old 240-series Volvo's, too.  Safe, reliable, economical, and now can be had for a song.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 09:38:59 AM »
USA Today (or some such) had tables of the top-10 models five years ago and today. Five years ago, two or three of the top five were Big 3. Today the upper five are all Japanese.

Way to go, Ford. Keep it up and you'll go the way of AMC.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 12:54:40 PM »
Re-arranging the deck furniture on the Titanic, as it were...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

M14rick

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 11:04:42 AM »
I was working at a DaimlerChrysler dealership, had a 1990 F150 when I was hired. A few years later the dealer wholesaled a 95 Tahoe to me. This past Labor Day weekend Friday, my F150 was totalled when another driver failed to yield right of way. I looked at a used Dakota on the dealership lot, was told I could have it for $500 over cost.....to he#% with that, I thought. i found a very clean 1992 GMC 1500 shortbed at a used car dealer that purchased wholesale from our dealership and bought it....December 30 I was hande two and a half weeks pay and was told I was no longer needed.......Personally, I don't want a junky overpriced DCX product, although I used to drive em all the time......

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2006, 03:10:34 PM »
I don't see what the fuss is about.  They're not firing or barring non-Ford drivers; they're giving preferencial treatment to the workers who drive what they build.  It would be even better to make them a deal on their Ford vehicles (which was how H. Ford himself defended paying his workers so well-he wanted all of them to be able to afford one), but I also find it hard to believe that Ford doesn't offer any incentives to buy Ford.  

Maybe having to walk in from across the street, in Dearborn, in the winter, won't be so great, but have they looked around them lately?  They're fortunate to still have jobs.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

No_Brakes23

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 09:11:36 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba
but I also find it hard to believe that Ford doesn't offer any incentives to buy Ford.
Every Ford worker I know gets exceptionally good prices on FoMoCo, Mazda, Volvo, etc.

The policy is crap because the person is being penalized for a car they may have owned before working there.  What about disabled workers who drive non-Fords?

One more reason for me to not get another Ford.  (The other is that my Mazda 6 is an over-engineered piece of crap.)