Author Topic: Help me plot a course...Smokey Mountains  (Read 4573 times)

bermbuster

• friend
Help me plot a course...Smokey Mountains
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2006, 03:28:25 AM »
Quote from: French G.
Save some cash for Savannah, I ate until it hurt, really great restaurants there. Stay away from the riverfront, there is a lot of touristy food there, not as good quality. Tybee Island can be pretty entertaining as long as it is not kid season, things move pretty slowly out there. Stayed in a nice B&B there. Do us all a favor and try to hit a SCAD student with that ugly pick-up of yours. Cheesy Overall, really great city, I enjoyed it as much as Charleston, SC, a lot of the same attractions, antebellum architecture, good food, and not near as many idiots as say, New Orleans. If you make it to Savannah, meander two more hours and hit St. Augustine. A1A brewery and restaurant, they have some beer and cheese base soup you will slap your momma for. Good beer too.
If you are going to Savannah it is worth the time to find Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.  Best lunch in Savannah, in my opinion.

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/whereweeat/stern_wilkes.shtml

http://www.mrswilkes.com/

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 09:03:04 AM »
Bermbuster-  thanks!  gonna definatly try that out,  anyother places you might think of,  let me know

Stand_watie-  thats the plan.  dogwoods and azealeas, and magnolias(??)  all just drop dead gorgeous, and thats when i want to go.  do some amature photography and a little bit of hiking maybe.  luckily,  theres lots of members here that live down thataways so i can bug them for updates all the time Wink

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2006, 01:43:39 PM »
Pisgah Inn was the labors lodge during the construction of the parkway during the 30's.  It is a small hotel that sits on a saddle between to mountains.  Whole assembly is something like 5,000 in the air.  The hotel overlooks a valley which during leaf season is breathtaking.  The hotel has a dining room with a glass wall overlooking the valley.  Nothing fancy, just beautiful.

People visit the place from all over the world.  People reserve rooms a year in advance just to get a spot during leaf season.  If you do motorcycles there are constant groups going through the area.  Plenty of stuff to do in the area.

http://www.pisgahinn.com/
Google up "western nc tourism"
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon