Author Topic: "Grizzly Man" on the Discovery Channel  (Read 2321 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
"Grizzly Man" on the Discovery Channel
« on: February 02, 2006, 01:42:02 PM »
I was channel flipping last night and caught a commercial for Grizzly Man on the Discovery Channel. It looked kinda interesting but it sell an alarm bell ringing in the back of my head. I just jumped on the DC website and looked it up - sure enough, it is the story of Timothy Treadwell, they guy who lived "in harmony with the bears". Right up to the point where the bears killed and ate him.

I was thinking I might catch a little of it until I found this out. Now I know it will probably be some bunny-hugger environmentalistic animal-rights wacko diatribe about how this could only have happened because of how poorly the bears have been treated.

I think I'll have a beer and watch "UHF" instead.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
Grizzly bear scat is easily identified because of the little bits of environmentalist in it....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 06:14:07 PM »
Why do bears prefer to eat environmentalists instead of clowns?

Clowns taste funny...

rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:47:04 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
I was channel flipping last night and caught a commercial for Grizzly Man on the Discovery Channel. It looked kinda interesting but it sell an alarm bell ringing in the back of my head. I just jumped on the DC website and looked it up - sure enough, it is the story of Timothy Treadwell, they guy who lived "in harmony with the bears". Right up to the point where the bears killed and ate him.

I was thinking I might catch a little of it until I found this out. Now I know it will probably be some bunny-hugger environmentalistic animal-rights wacko diatribe about how this could only have happened because of how poorly the bears have been treated.

I think I'll have a beer and watch "UHF" instead.

Brad
I'd rather watch UFC.  Whether on UHF or VHF, cable, or satellite, it just is more entertaining than those ultra high frequency waves pounding at my tinfoil hat. Wink

HForrest

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 09:59:32 PM »
Even if the guy was a nutjob, I think it might be worth watching. Just seems somewhat interesting.

SMLE

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 04:39:01 AM »
There is a REALLY long thread on THR about Treadwell.  Actually, at 6 pages long, it's more of a carpet than a thread. Cheesy

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=153604&

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 12:28:02 AM »
I tried to watch it, oh my goodness it really hurt listening to him "talk to the animals" it makes me embarrassed to be in the same "club" as him ...(I am in recovery as well)..one scene a fox that he had been feeding made off with his hat, and he was pleading and explaining to the fox how much he needed that hat...as if the animal understood what he was saying , like he could reason with it!...
I had a young friend over (a cute 21 yr old gal who doesn't get the gun stuff), even she agreed that he needed to get munched by the grizz's...I had to turn the channel , there are alot of people like this loser in the San Francisco recovery scene. I am so glad I'm out of there.   does anyone know if they told the viewers he got his girlfriend munched too?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 12:41:08 AM »
from thr, with thanks to johnska...
Found it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://outside.away.com/outside/news...rothers_1.html
Quote:
"Treadwell's video camera (its lens cap still on) yielded a six-minute audio recording, illuminating all too vividly the last moments of two people trying to save each other's life. It starts with Treadwell investigating a bear that has come into camp. Something goes wrong, and the bear attacks him. "I'm getting killed!" he screams. Huguenard, still in the tent, tells him to play dead, and for a minute the bear backs off, suggesting that the initial attack was not predatory. But the grizzly returns, and Huguenard comes to Treadwell's aid. In his last words, he yells to her to save herself."  

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...?from=storyrhs
Quote:
"Mr Wilkinson said the tape begins with sounds of Mr Treadwell screaming that he is being attacked and calling for help to 37-year-old Ms Huguenard, who was apparently still inside a tent. "It's obvious that the attack was going on before the tape was turned on," said Mr Wilkinson, who quoted from the tapes.

"Come out here; I'm being killed out here," Mr Treadwell said. "Play dead!" Ms Huguenard yelled in reply.

That strategy is commonly used to pacify angry bears in an attack. But Mr Treadwell told Ms Huguenard the strategy was not working and she urged him to "fight back".

Mr Treadwell, who never carried weapons, then asked her to get a pan and to hit the bear, police said. At that point, the tape - much of it fuzzy and inaudible, stops, Mr Wilkinson said."  ............I sumrise that he wanted to teach the nice bear how to cook it's meat thats the real reason she handed it a pan.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 06:58:45 AM »
I watched some of it and, I have to tell you I was laughing my @$$ off through parts of it. This guy was a certifiable freaking kook.

A female bear takes a crap and he's touching the "poo" and cooing about how "this was inside her, and it's warm". He's almost crying (which he does several times throughout the film).

They could make some great SNL sketches out of the film. I expect to see it aired sooner or later on the Comedy Channel.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 07:20:51 AM »
Yeah, Sergeant Bob.  Comedy Channel.  Voiceover by Larry the cable guy...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 08:44:09 AM »
My question is,

how did he get enough battery power to run 2 cameras, away from any kind of power grid... for a few months?

And come on, how fishy and staged were all the interviews?

I have a feeling this story was a little bit enhanced.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 08:35:43 PM »
Nope, he had camera's going most of the time.  He took in a ton of supplies and it isn't that hard to get a solar or crank charger.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »
I *AM* sorry for the loss of human life.
However, my mama always told me: bear food is as bear food does.  Cheesy