Author Topic: Shot my first rounds of IDPA today  (Read 1763 times)

cfabe

• friend
Shot my first rounds of IDPA today
« on: February 03, 2006, 08:10:25 PM »
Ukraine Alex and I ventured out to a local gun club this evening and participated in an IDPA practice session. It was both of our first times, though we've both been shooting for about 4 years. It was a small private club, and about 10 people were present tonight. After observing for 10 rounds or so we went to the meeting room and went over all the relevant safety and procedural information. Then back out to the range.

They had two scenarios set up tonight. The first was that you were being mugged by 3 people. Starting at arms length, you dropepd your wallet and drew your gun, shot two torso shots from a retention position into the center target, then two each into the other two as you retreated to cover about 15 feet back, then a head shot each from behind cover. The second scenario was that you were approached as you were sitting at a table. Two torso shots each from about 10 feet, then move sideways to cover and place two headshots on a target with a hostage in front of it, then move to the other side of the cover and fire two torso shots each to two targets about 30 feet away.

When my name was called I was a little nervous as I approached the line, but after the buzzer sounded I got down to business. I seem to have beginners luck when trying out new things (golf, for example) and my first of 3 rounds was my best. My scores were 30.53, 42.98, and 35.59, though I don't think you can really compare them online. The first round was as good as I would have hoped for, the second round I had three failures to feed because my gun was shamefully filthy, and the third round (after cleaning) was good except for one headshot I missed that cost me quite a few points.

Overall we both had a great time, I think I will definately be taking this up as part of my shooting hobby. What a great way to have fun with other shooters and improve your skills as well. The people at the club were very friendly and accomidating and and made us feel welcome as new shooters. I'm glad that after telling myself for a couple years I should get into this that I've finally made the leap.

Alex took some photos so hopefully he will chime in with his input and post up the pictures too.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 11:24:22 PM »
When my name was called I was a little nervous as I approached the line, but after the buzzer sounded I got down to business.
Like my buddy Alan says--"What are you nervous about?  You aren't going to win anyway."  His little way of saying slow down and take your time.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Greg

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 03:10:18 AM »
I'll be doing some of that myself this morning. Glad you had a good time!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 09:31:54 AM »
So I've been doing this about a year now. Took my first "qualifier" today and scored "Novice" . From where I am now, the "Master" category looks nearly impossible. I do try and make a concious effort to slow down and I scored the 5 yd clean and only lost 1.5 seconds on the 10 yd. BUT THE 20 YD? shocked  Looked like buckshot...

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 10:32:32 AM »
You have to find a balance.  Taking your time won't cut it on the up close stuff.  If you can get really fast on the stuff in stage 1, then you can afford to slow down a little for stage 2 and some more for stage 3.  I consistently miss expert by a few seconds in CDP and it is VERY frustrating to say the least.  Over the 2 years I have been shooting with the IDPA club here, we have promoted 7 or 8 shooters to master.  When I first started, we only had 1.  If it's important to you, get squadded with the top shooters in your club and you will start shooting better.  They will challenge to to do better.  Just don't try and be a big shot.  Being humble goes a long way.

Greg

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 04:06:31 PM »
Yea, I see what you mean. Good shooting too. I've just been taking it easy on the speed until it just comes naturally. I don't want to be trying to go too fast and let safety suffer either. The first thing they told us today was , "You can't miss fast enough." Cheesy

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 05:20:06 PM »
If you want to get better at IDPA, start shooting IPSC.  Higher round counts, more difficult shooting challenges, and many more good shooters to challenge and coach you.

You just have to remember the different rules when you go to an IDPA match.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 06:27:01 PM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
Like my buddy Alan says--"What are you nervous about?  You aren't going to win anyway."  His little way of saying slow down and take your time.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Greg
My goals in my first match were: do not shoot anyone, myself included.  Do not drop the gun.  Do not get disqualified.  I was nervous that I would fail those goals.  I didn't by the way.

If you want to get better at IDPA, start shooting IPSC.  Higher round counts, more difficult shooting challenges, and many more good shooters to challenge and coach you.
But then you'd have to shoot with a-holes.  Not worth it in my book.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Morgan

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 07:59:19 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
But then you'd have to shoot with a-holes.  Not worth it in my book.
Around here (Denver and front range area of Colorado) the IPSC guys and gals are great - supportive and fun-loving.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 02:40:04 AM »
What's the difference? I'm really not all that familiar with either.
(I did a search so I understand a little better now.)

We don't get into the power stuff or classifying our guns. It's shoot what you carry for practical experience with that gun. I shoot them with my BHP 9mm.

The expressed goal is accuracy not speed. "The speed will come!"

What I've been shooting are being called "ConTact" matches. Loose IDPA rules I believe. I consider them more instructional than a competition. I'm still at the stage Rabbi is taking about. Trying not to do anything dumb, especially with my muzzle. These guys and gals are all very supportive. I've come a long way just to make Novice. Smiley

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 04:43:42 AM »
We don't get into the power stuff or classifying our guns. It's shoot what you carry for practical experience with that gun. I shoot them with my BHP 9mm.
I always thought that this was to favor the 1911. The 9mm can be reloaded to major power factor, but its not allowed for American IPSC major class since its over SAAMI specs for pressure.  38 super and 9x21 can be used however.

I've never shot IDPA, but its on my list of things to do one of tese days. IPSC is a lot of fun, though it isn't as restricted as IDPA and lends itself to very specialized equipment like race guns and mechanical quick release holsters if you want to win.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Morgan

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »
Quote from: brimic
The 9mm can be reloaded to major power factor, but its not allowed for American IPSC major class since its over SAAMI specs for pressure.  38 super and 9x21 can be used however.
Not true.  9mm Major is allowed for Open class.

Quote from: brimic
IPSC...lends itself to very specialized equipment like race guns and mechanical quick release holsters if you want to win.
Not necessarily true.  I shoot my duty gun, a lightly modified USP45f, in L10, and I've been lucky enough to do more than my share of winning.  I use a Blade-Tech belt holster (the one I wear off-duty for CCW).  Most guys in L10 use a similar holster, and in Production it's required.

In Limited (and, of course, Open) you see more fancy gear, but it really isn't much faster.  It's the Indian, not the Arrow.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 07:07:25 AM »
I always thought that this was to favor the 1911. The 9mm can be reloaded to major power factor, but its not allowed for American IPSC major class since its over SAAMI specs for pressure.
I hate having to nit-ptick - but you CAN'T load a 9mm hull to make Major WITHOUT both exceeding the pressure specs AND the cartridge overall-length specs, (unless there is some new poweder out I haven't heard of...).  If you are changing BOTH the dimensions AND the pressure, then its hardly "9mm" anymore - its a new wildcat round off of a 9mm case.

38 super and 9x21 can be used however.
...but aren't good ideas.  The call it "Super-face" for a reason.  Running 9mm class cartridges (to get more rounds in the mag) at pressures high enough to make the compensator work good and make Major is an invitation to disaster.
I've never shot IDPA, but its on my list of things to do one of tese days. IPSC is a lot of fun, though it isn't as restricted as IDPA and lends itself to very specialized equipment like race guns and mechanical quick release holsters if you want to win.
...I thought they were going to institute a 'Limited" class...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...