Poll

Do you think strengthening the reporting of the states and opening it up to individuals to use at their discretion is a good idea?

Yes
5 (26.3%)
No
14 (73.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Expansion of NICS  (Read 2194 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Expansion of NICS
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »
Would you like the ability to vet someone before selling them a gun?

Does it make sense to give gun owners this tool to sell wisely without draconian requirements?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Expansion of NICS
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:11:49 AM »
How would you know it will be used only for gun sales?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
Would you like the ability to vet someone before selling them a gun? no, but that's just me.

Does it make sense to give gun owners this tool to sell wisely without draconian requirements?  Not really thinking the public at large needs one more "background check". If you're nervous about selling a firearm, there are many websites that offer this service.  Pay the ~$30 and check the buyer.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
Why do we need an AND clause in the question?

How about an OR clause instead?

Just give people access to it who want to use it.  Why go about making a bunch of Federal-level laws to compel States to report things they don't care to report?

Micro's point is valid though:  I guarantee you that it will get tens of thousands of calls a week from 20-something women who start dating a new guy and want to make sure he's not a criminal but don't want to pay for an online datamining service for the info.  Or employers who want a quick character check for free.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
How would you know it will be used only for gun sales?

Require it from the buyer who provides the confirmation to you at the sale maybe?

I'm just tossing some ideas out there. I haven't thought all this through even.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
Why do we need an AND clause in the question?

How about an OR clause instead?

Just give people access to it who want to use it.  Why go about making a bunch of Federal-level laws to compel States to report things they don't care to report?

Micro's point is valid though:  I guarantee you that it will get tens of thousands of calls a week from 20-something women who start dating a new guy and want to make sure he's not a criminal but don't want to pay for an online datamining service for the info.  Or employers who want a quick character check for free.

The "and" is in there because it would actually make it a useful system. Currently as you have pointed out many states don't bother.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
I've never sold a gun and probably never will.  Kids/grandkids are going to get them eventually.

If I did, it would almost certainly be to someone that I already knew fairly well.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »

Actually, that's one of the things I'd demand from such a system if put in place: that it be accessible for more than just gun deals. It would make it a lot harder for them to build a database of gun owners if the system is polluted with NICS checks on babysitters and random employees.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't criminal records already considered public records?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't criminal records already considered public records?
yep.
I don't know about other states, but in WI, you can look up a name on a circuit court website and get a full list of cases from jaywalking to murder.

The whole NICS check (as well as other regulations) pretty stupid, put in place by stupid people, IMHO.
Most of it I have been patient about and just put up with it becasue I have to...
The absurdity really hit me hard one day when I was in Fleet Farm purchasing a .38 J-Frame. I had to wait the state imposed 2 day 'cooling off' period then about 1 hour for a NICS check. Both times I was in the store for that purchase, I was carrying a 1911 with 2 spare mags.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:39:51 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
yep.
I don't know about other states, but in WI, you can look up a name on a circuit court website and get a full list of cases from jaywalking to murder.

The whole NICS check (as well as other regulations) pretty stupid, put in place by stupid people, IMHO.
Most of it I have been patient about and just put up with it becasue I have to...
The absurdity really hit me hard one day when I was in Fleet Farm purchasing a .38 J-Frame. I had to wait the state imposed 2 day 'cooling off' period then about 1 hour for a NICS check. Both times I was in the store for that purchase, I was carrying a 1911 with 2 spare mags.

Face to face a concealed carry permit or FOID here in Illinois serve the same purpose. You've/we've been vettted.

Waiting periods are nothing more than legalized government harassment of gun purchasers and sellers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
The correct answer for $100, Alex

Dismantle NICS.  Leave background checks up to the states that wish to keep them in place. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »
The correct answer for $100, Alex

Dismantle NICS.  Leave background checks up to the states that wish to keep them in place. 

If an adult is considered too dangerous to possess a firearm thanks to his violent criminal or psychiatric record, he should also be denied access to knives, blunt instruments, motor vehicles, flammable liquids . . . in fact, everything that's readily available outside the confines of a prison. (hint, hint.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
No, Hell no.

It may first be merely "available" but it will soon become mandatory.

Why is that person on the street if they are not to be trusted with a firearm?  They can get a car and mow down pedestrians by the dozen.  They can go to Home Depot and the gro store and buy the makings for some serious splodey device. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »
No, Hell no.

It may first be merely "available" but it will soon become mandatory.

Why is that person on the street if they are not to be trusted with a firearm?  They can get a car and mow down pedestrians by the dozen.  They can go to Home Depot and the gro store and buy the makings for some serious splodey device. 

Yea, I get that reasoning and have used it myself.

It's just that I hate using the slippery slope argument when discussing or debating gun issues.

We have to do better than "slippery slope" if we are going to prevail.