Author Topic: Preacherman's blog  (Read 6006 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Preacherman's blog
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:57:40 PM »
can be depressing sometimes

• The US economy is recovering very slowly indeed from the 2007-09 recession - much more slowly than in previous recessions.  This is crippling economic growth and - most importantly - job creation.  In fact, as I've mentioned before, official unemployment statistics are a bare-faced lie from beginning to end.  The Washington Post has just published an excellent exposé of one aspect of this reality.  Our real unemployment rate, right now, is almost certainly significantly higher than 20%.  When official statistics put it at just over 8%, they're understating the true position by about two-thirds.  No President can fix a problem of that scale without a vibrant economy to provide jobs - and that economy simply doesn't exist right now.
  • There are so few investors willing to purchase US treasuries (i.e. bonds to fund US government debt) that the Federal Reserve is currently 'buying' 70% of them,.  They aren't really being 'sold' at all, of course:  the Fed is offering them for sale, then 'buying' them itself by creating money (literally generating strings of digits in a computer system).  No actual money is changing hands at all, but the US government is spending hundreds of billions of dollars every single month that are financed by this method.  It's nothing more or less than a financial house of cards.  So bad has the situation become that last week, respected investment analyst Peter Schiff called US treasuries 'junk bonds' and warned that the dollar was headed for collapse.  'Printing money' like this must, repeat, MUST inevitably lead to serious inflationary problems - to pretend otherwise is to deny mathematical and fiscal reality.  Just ask the National Inflation Association.
  • Europe, which as a joint entity is a larger economy than ours, is in even worse economic shape than we are;  yet our economy is inextricably interdependent with theirs.  If they go down, we go down with them - and that's very likely to happen.  Daniel Hannan pointed out last week:...

The bolded linkety parts I find worrying.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:15:39 AM by mtnbkr »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Preacherman's blog
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:07:13 PM »
You & me both.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:52:44 PM »
So what's the best course of action for us suburban wage slaves? Gold? Guns? Prayer?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:30:03 AM »
Quite seriously, I don't understand people's obsession with gold.  It sucks as an investment (investment being defined as intended to hold longer than 10 years).  If you want to speculate, you can make a lot of money on it, just like any other commodity.  But over a 30 year or longer span it's rate of return is usually little or no better than inflation.

If TEOTWAWKI happens you're much better served with a large stockpile of distilled alcohol (whiskey, rum, vodka, whatever) and ammo (.22lr, 9mm, .223, .30-06, etc).  They have incredibly long shelf lives and everyone will want both of them.  One truth of humanity is a desire to get drunk.  Another is having the ability to defend yourself and hunt for food.  When TEOTWAWKI happens those will be the two biggest drivers of most peoples lives.  The people that are hording gold, but nothing else, now will give you A LOT of that gold in exchange for your supply of drunkeness and bullets. 

Trade your stash of booze and bullets for the gold that others are hordeing and when the economy restores itself you'll be incredibly rich.  If you live that long anyway.
Formerly sumpnz

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »
Long shelf life food will increase in value if things truly collapse. Same for medicine, ammo, fuel, and everything else people will need. Gold may hold its value, but many other things will be guaranteed to go up in value, and many of those things have obvious high value to the person holding it, while gold's value only goes so far.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:54:28 AM »
agree.

I would add ciggs to that list, or cans of that bugler roll yer own tobacco.

I would buy gold however, but not the large coins, the small ones the same size as a dime. easier to trade/carry.

I'll have to get around to reading preachermans blog sometime, to depressed to do much right now.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »
It's important to note that the "unemployment rate" is the percentage of people who want a job and are currently without one.  If you are out of work, and trying to get a job, you are part of the unemployment rate.  If you quit trying to work and retire or just become a bum, you are no longer a part of the unemployment rate.  Infact, you just made the unemployment rate go down a little bit.  Good job of contributing to economic recovery.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:39 AM »
Gold is good to have because it is the ultimate barter item. Having gold in discrete and easily understood amounts and formats i.e. in dust, coin, or bar as opposed to fillings, earrings and other ornamental items form aids in trade in a situation where a government supplied currency is either deeply discounted or not being accepted in trade. The jewelry is still useful but it's not as frictionless as coins etc are.

There is a concept in barter called "coincidence of wants" which means to exchange each person needs what the other has. You have a display case that is in bad repair and you want some measure, weight, and color of fabric. Finding someone with the fabric who also wants a broken display case is a high cost and perhaps impossible situation.

The next step is triangulating. You take your case and trade for anything that is more acceptable to a wider range of people. Foodstuffs, cosmetics, ammo, alcohol. Now it just got easier to get your fabric. However you likely still have a few more steps to go so what you need is something anybody will take. Even if they don't care for it they know they can trade to the next person.

Historically a few items became the ultimate trade item. For example cows, salt, tobacco, nails, silver and finally gold.  

Gold won out because it does not rust,corrode or rot, it's infinitely malleable and easy to determine how valuable any given piece is.

Any system of trade needs a foundation and for over 5000 years gold has been in that foundation and has been the most important item. When people ask "why gold?" Because you cannot eat it, you cannot use it to shelter yourself, it doesn't do anything and it has no warmth to impart so why have it? Why is it valuable?

The answer is it's valuable because it's job is to be how we count success. Gold coins and bars are like the tokens in game. The more you receive the better at the game you are.  We need playing pieces in the great game and gold, while not perfect, is the best we've got. And our need for this measurement is what imparts the mostly subjective value to this yellow metal.

So refusing to own gold is essentially turning your back on a proven technology. Which is not to say you should only have gold. Having a bunch of other stuff is also vital.

That said, you don't need a lot. In a currency crisis prices will adjust to match what people can offer. The situation may be massively deflationary and quite full of suck but if you have some gold or silver coins you might be able to ride it out.

Also, there is a concept called "freegold" which is the idea that gold prices will shoot up very rapidly hitting $25,000-30,000+ Oz in just a few days or weeks. However the prices of most everything else will lag some so that the Oz you bought at @ $1600 is suddenly worth 15x it's value in goods you may need. So You quickly sell your Oz and then go on a buying spree to get all the food and ammo and whatever else will get you and yours through the hard times before the prices reset.  

So if you are thinking about giving gold a pass, maybe think again and tuck a little bit away. Even if it (like mine) is in jewelery form.  (My wife wants to keep the jewelery instead of trade it for coins, eh..what can you do?)

Of course all these problems stem from the fact that some people think that it is possible to increase the wealth of a country through currency manipulation. Put an end to that and many of the problems disappear.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »
All the people hawking gold today seem to be a bit, well, desperate to unload their holdings. I think owning some gold/silver is OK, but I wouldn't make it the centerpiece of my retirement plan . . . especially if I'm buying at today's prices.

So what's a good defensive investment strategy for today if we do have an economic upheaval tomorrow, but we don't descend all the way into an utter-collapse-of-civilization-Mad-Max scenario?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »
All the people hawking gold today seem to be a bit, well, desperate to unload their holdings. I think owning some gold/silver is OK, but I wouldn't make it the centerpiece of my retirement plan . . . especially if I'm buying at today's prices.

So what's a good defensive investment strategy for today if we do have an economic upheaval tomorrow, but we don't descend all the way into an utter-collapse-of-civilization-Mad-Max scenario?

My coworker just made 30% profit in 8 weeks SHORTING gold.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 08:07:33 AM »
My coworker just made 30% profit in 8 weeks SHORTING gold.

Win.

The smart money has found a way to profit from the depression.
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »
It's important to note that the "unemployment rate" is the percentage of people who want a job and are currently without one.  If you are out of work, and trying to get a job, you are part of the unemployment rate.  If you quit trying to work and retire or just become a bum, you are no longer a part of the unemployment rate.  Infact, you just made the unemployment rate go down a little bit.  Good job of contributing to economic recovery.
And as Rush and other radio guys have pointed out the last few months, that is the only reason the published unemployment rate has gone down, fewer people counted in the work force.  It isn't widely reported, but I think most voters aren't overly excited about current economic prospects.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »
Gold is a hedge. It is not an "investment", it is a wealth protecting measure. Some people can make money on trading gold or holding gold. That is not the purpose of purchasing gold for "TEOTWAWKI".

As for "gold will be worthless in TEOTWAWKI!!!111!1!", what kind of breakdown in society do you expect where gold has no value? There may be a short time (just like during any other disaster) during which only food or ammo is valuable, but so long as you already have enough food/ammo/other consumables for that time, society will re-emerge.

Human societies almost universally have used gold for trading. Any society that emerges post-societal collapse will have an extemely high likelihood of similarly valuing gold.

And, food/ammo are not all that good in value to weight/volume, when compared to gold. Similarly, not all that good in longevity.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
I don't understand people's obsession with gold.  It sucks as an investment...over a 30 year or longer span it's rate of return is usually little or no better than inflation.

Its an inflation hedge, as you point out. If you major concern is having your wealth evaporate due to hyperinflation, gold can be a good PART of a hedging strategy.

My hangup is I just don't know where I can go to buy gold in tradeable form. If I could go to walmart and buy krugerrands for some small percent over spot, I would just start buying a few per paycheck, but I don't know how to actually buy the stuff. I don't trust the internet.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
Its an inflation hedge, as you point out. If you major concern is having your wealth evaporate due to hyperinflation, gold can be a good PART of a hedging strategy.

My hangup is I just don't know where I can go to buy gold in tradeable form. If I could go to walmart and buy krugerrands for some small percent over spot, I would just start buying a few per paycheck, but I don't know how to actually buy the stuff. I don't trust the internet.

Small coin shops.  There's at least one in Billings, so there is likely one or more near you. 

Pay cash ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »
Pay cash ;)

And buy less than 5000 dollars worth at a time.
7-11 was a part time job.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »

As for "gold will be worthless in TEOTWAWKI!!!111!1!", what kind of breakdown in society do you expect where gold has no value? There may be a short time (just like during any other disaster) during which only food or ammo is valuable, but so long as you already have enough food/ammo/other consumables for that time, society will re-emerge.

Define "no value"?

In a TEOTWAWKI emergency, you'll be able to buy a tin of food for some gold... but for much more gold than it was worth before, or after TEOTWAWKI.

Now what gold is good for is for preserving your wealth for the period of civil war/post-nuclear apocalypse/whatever so you' can be moderately-wealthy again when civilization, inevitably, reasserts itself.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
Define "no value"?

In a TEOTWAWKI emergency, you'll be able to buy a tin of food for some gold... but for much more gold than it was worth before, or after TEOTWAWKI.

Now what gold is good for is for preserving your wealth for the period of civil war/post-nuclear apocalypse/whatever so you' can be moderately-wealthy again when civilization, inevitably, reasserts itself.

Isn't that exactly what I said?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
Bah. I am low on caffeine.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
Bah. I am low on caffeine.

Better stock up on coffee for the coming apocalypse  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 03:17:40 PM »
All material goods and skills will have value in the face of economic collapse. With gold you can concievably convert it back to someone else's non-collapsed fiat currency then buy the stuff you need. Much handier to cross a border with the gold rather than all the stuff. Still security concerns obviously. I want more of everything, not just gold.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »
Better stock up on coffee for the coming apocalypse  ;)

5 days of mood swings and constant napping, and I'd be over it.  (I've done it before.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.