Author Topic: DHS makes move on BitCoin  (Read 3957 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
DHS makes move on BitCoin
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:04 AM »
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/05/bitcoin-panic-department-of-homeland-security-shuts-down-dwolla-payments-of-mt-gox-video-2648278.html

DHS shuts down one of the major mechanisms of moving bitcoins in/out of "Mt Gox" which is one of the dominant BitCoin currency exchangers.

You can still use Mt Gox, but getting your money out of Gox and into a spendable form is now a little harder.

Yay, Turr'ism.  Yay, DHS.  I feel so protected.

So, we get the attacks on Cody Wilson and DefCad last week and now the attack on BitCoin this week.

Do you feel the warm fuzzy glove of government protectively embracing you, or do you feel it squeezing on your carotid with gently increasing pressure?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: DHS makes move on BitCoin
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
MTGox is based in east asia somewhere. DHS shut down their Dwolla account. Big whoop.  The easiest way to turn USD into BTC is still Coinbase.  MTGox is a currency exchange market.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
.Gov will defend its soon to be zimbabwe-esque currency at all costs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
.Gov will defend its soon to be zimbabwe-esque currency at all costs.

Some would argue that more than a few wars kinetic WMD-securing humanitarian interventions were launched to do just that.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
Best way to get anonymous bitcoins is to meet in person and use cash

Speaking of which. I'm in the market for a few
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
Best way to get anonymous bitcoins is to meet in person and use cash

Speaking of which. I'm in the market for a few

Let me know if you are ever out my way.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »
Where are you again?
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
Has anybody here ever tried mining BitCoin?

I thought SETI was CPU/GPU intensive, until I looked into BitCoin mining. 

You spend more on electricity than you earn.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »
In the beginning it was profitable

Now not so much
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »
It's all ASIC dominated now.
Basically, the release rate is constant, so your effective mining rate is your fraction of the whole times the rate.  Given that the ASIC based miners are faster than anything, mining is not profitable.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »
just play EVE?
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »
Where are you again?

Finger Lakes region of NYS
Charles Babbage

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
nows the time to buy

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-loses-77-of-value-from-high-2013-4

Do you mean April 12 was the time to buy?  I agree.  It's risen over 100% since that "crash".
Charles Babbage

• friends
Re: Re: DHS makes move on BitCoin
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »
so the loss is down to 50% or so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Re: DHS makes move on BitCoin
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
so the loss is down to 50% or so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

LOL.  If you, like the article, calculate a "loss" as the price differential between current prices and a one-day spike that went to an all-time high of over 3x market value.

The article says "70% loss over two days". I suppose "10% gain over three days" isn't sensational enough.
Charles Babbage

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »
I was trying to figure out if this big Liberty Reserve freeze/accusation was related to bitcoin. According to WSJ, it is not.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323855804578511121238052256.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTTopStories
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/investing-in-bitcoin-2013-5

do you not think its time?  is price gonna drop more?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 05:26:29 AM »
+/- 25% or more is normal for bitcoin. It has been fluctuating like that forever. That level of volatility would be huge for a normal currency, but a currency only needs to be stable on the time scale you plan to employ it. if you just need to buy bitcoins at spot, send to your seller, who converts back to his favored currency ar spot, you really only care about stability on time scales of seconds or milliseconds. A digital currency can probably be usable with almost arbitrarily high volatility.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/investing-in-bitcoin-2013-5

do you not think its time?  is price gonna drop more?

Drop more?  What makes you think it's dropping? Oh, the article from a month and a half ago about a 3-day spike?

Your author could have done well to read this before writing. He may have avoided all kinds of impossible speculation, like the "anonymous inventors getting greedy and 'releasing' more coins" nonsense.
Charles Babbage

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »
If you think Bitcoin is a means to earn money to buy some now, and resell at a higher value later, and therefore you oppose Bitcoin, you misunderstand Bitcoin.

If you wish to 'invest' in Bitcoin on this basis, however, you also misunderstand Bitcoin.

If you think it is a magical privacy-assuring technology, you also misunderstand Bitcoin.

Both the bitcoin fanboys and the bitcoin haters misunderstand Bitcoin entirely.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »
If you think Bitcoin is a means to earn money to buy some now, and resell at a higher value later, and therefore you oppose Bitcoin, you misunderstand Bitcoin.

If you wish to 'invest' in Bitcoin on this basis, however, you also misunderstand Bitcoin.

If you think it is a magical privacy-assuring technology, you also misunderstand Bitcoin.

Both the bitcoin fanboys and the bitcoin haters misunderstand Bitcoin entirely.

Agreed.

Also, for your consumption, an article by a good friend of mine.
http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/05/lets-cut-through-the-bitcoin-hype/

For those that recognize the author's name from the whole DNS thing, yes, its the same guy.