Author Topic: Another idea?  (Read 1459 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Another idea?
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:50:58 PM »
Many people feel that people need to pass a drug test to get welfare, I don't disagree.

I am also thinking people need to pass a drug test to get unemployment.

What does the collective mind of APS think?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Another idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »

Oral or written?  Are study materials provided?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »
Oral or written?  Are study materials provided?

simple pee test. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that unemployment is an insurance program benefit, as opposed to the direct subsidy that is welfare? If so,  I would be inclined to impose fewer restrictions on unemployment beyond tighter initial eligibility criteria and verification of job-seeking while receiving payments.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that unemployment is an insurance program benefit, as opposed to the direct subsidy that is welfare? If so,  I would be inclined to impose fewer restrictions on unemployment beyond tighter initial eligibility criteria and verification of job-seeking while receiving payments.

What he said.

Plus on the welfare side, I care much less about mandatory drug tests than I care about tightening up the program, like restricting the EBT to basic foodstuffs and life necessities. And for God's sake, stop letting them work at the ATM!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
The problem with the EBT system now is that some states force a person paying child support to go through a state agency so the state can steal money from the child and then the remaining money is placed on those cards.   :facepalm:

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »

Basic unemployment and clear physical disability, OK.  (If a guy's missing a leg, he's pretty much not faking it, and his condition won't change based on whether he smokes a little weed from time to time.  For psych-based disability or any other that could be caused or exacerbated by drug use, (such as an injury that could heal significantly more slowly due to drug use) and any sort of extended unemployment, I would support testing.

The problem with the EBT system now is that some states force a person paying child support to go through a state agency so the state can steal money from the child and then the remaining money is placed on those cards.

Which makes a clear case for no alcohol, tobacco or lottery on those cards, and very restricted cash withdrawal.  ($10/wk to go on church field trips or pay a small allowance is one thing, but if you want $500 in one shot, you should have to show up in person at some state office to show the Scout Jamboree paperwork or whatever.)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »
The system is broken. Always has been. Good intentions aside, I was never keen on the "it's ok to take the fruits of one persons labor and give it to someone in need", even if that need is genuine. It's theft, plain and simple. Work or starve. And if you can't work, or won't work, then starve.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »
Which makes a clear case for no alcohol, tobacco or lottery on those cards, and very restricted cash withdrawal.  ($10/wk to go on church field trips or pay a small allowance is one thing, but if you want $500 in one shot, you should have to show up in person at some state office to show the Scout Jamboree paperwork or whatever.)

Oh sure give the state another reason to steal money.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »
Oh sure give the state another reason to steal money.

I was referring only to the ones that child support money comes in on, though honestly, the parent receiving the money should also be earning to support the kid, and so should have their own contribution to pull cash needs from.  IMO, a custodial 'parent' who is only supporting the kids via welfare and child support should be facing a very large strike against them if the other parent ever files for primary custody.  (Exception for kids that need special 24/7/365 care, of course.)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »

Nyet on the church field trip. Churches are supposed to be charitable organizations (at least with helping their own flock). The church should step up to cover the trip. Otherwise it's like the gov giving someone money to pay for a meal at the Salvation Army. Same with the scout jamboree. Get the service organization to pay for it. Sorry, but welfare is not supposed to be fun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
The system is broken. Always has been. Good intentions aside, I was never keen on the "it's ok to take the fruits of one persons labor and give it to someone in need", even if that need is genuine. It's theft, plain and simple. Work or starve. And if you can't work, or won't work, then starve.

Pretty much this.

A society where 99% work and 1% starve is better than one where 49% work and 51% kinda-sorta get by.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »
Nyet on the church field trip. Churches are supposed to be charitable organizations (at least with helping their own flock). The church should step up to cover the trip.

However, that's a legitimate use of child support money.  I'd rather not see the two mingled at all, but if they're going to be, it still needs to have that sort of distinction.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 06:14:44 PM »

What about the special needs people, like ones with Down's Syndrome? What about the person who got hit by a uninsured motorist and is now a paraplegic?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »
What about the special needs people, like ones with Down's Syndrome? What about the person who got hit by a uninsured motorist and is now a paraplegic?

Oh, gee, it's not like you know exactly what he meant, or anything.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »
Many people feel that people need to pass a drug test to get welfare, I don't disagree.

I'm in agreement for both, simply because I've had employees that I've had the great displeasure of being the supervisor of purposely create work accidents for themselves in order to do stuff like get worker's comp to pay for their pill habit, get short term disability so they didn't have to work, and ultimately try to get get fired so they could get unemployment.

(This was back when I was working for the state, and my bosses were *expletive deleted* pussies who wouldn't let me fire the shitheads and get rid of the problem)

But I think the desire for drug testing for welfare and all that is ignoring the forest while obsessing about a tree. The real issue is that the politicians are taking money from the producers and giving it to the leaches in exchange for votes, and the fact that the leaches can subsist their entire lives (and generationally) on the various forms of welfare is INFURIATING.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:56:03 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »
No.  Unemployment is paid by taxes collected from businesses that may or may not drug test.
Compromise? If you're laid off from a place that drug tested, the. You should continue to be tested to collect benefits.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »

Private charity, preferably at the local level. PERIOD. Taking money from one to give to another, under threat of violence, is not right.

Not trying to be a dick here, but someone else's kid (condition of said kid healthy or not) is NOT MY RESPONSIBILTY !  Person gets in an accident, uninsured motorist, see above, NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY.  I am an adult, a responsible adult. I carry uninsured motorist coverage on all vehicles. Other should do the same. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, it is a bitch. 

Again. Charity at the local level. If you see someone in your town, in your neighborhood, that needs help and you are able to help, DO IT.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »
Isn't a premise that you are looking for work? Failing a whizz quiz is not helping job search. Same as failure to apply. No more check
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 09:55:09 AM »
I am an adult, a responsible adult.

Therein lies the problem.
You can't understand liberals' appeal to emotion in their arguments.
Maybe if you were less responsible and allowed your life to run off the rails, their gibberish would make more sense to you. Of course, if everyone did that, it means the host has died.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »
Therein lies the problem.
You can't understand liberals' appeal to emotion in their arguments.
Maybe if you were less responsible and allowed your life to run off the rails, their gibberish would make more sense to you. Of course, if everyone did that, it means the host has died.

If leftism is anything, it is a mad effort to divorce actions from consequences.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »

Sure, more government involvement.  What could go worng ...?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin