Author Topic: Jury nullification case  (Read 2045 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Jury nullification case
« on: January 04, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »
I hadn't heard about this case. I thought others here might be interested. Two guys were charged with jury tampering for handing out pamphlets that promoted jury nullification. The judge dismissed the charges.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29262852/denver-judge-dismisses-charges-against-jury-nullifcation-activists
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Jury nullification case
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
Jury nullification is based on an obscure legal act from the 1600s that allows jurors to acquit defendants because they believe a law is immoral or unjust.

See !!!   It's just another one of those wacky TeaParty type legal theories that's out of step with modern times...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »
Fom what I understand, "jury nullification" is like using dirty words at a black-tie gathering.  Nobody in the legal industry likes the concept.  It has a tendency to impact negatively their income and mocks their legal expertise.

It "breaks their rice bowl," as the saying goes.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
Jury nullification isn't a law, but arises from the combination of two laws/principles, both of which are very important, and both of which stand zero chance of changing.
1. Jurors can't be held responsible for a verdict
2. A person can't be tried twice for the same crime.
Thus, 3. jury nullification.  One can't have 1 and 2 without getting 3.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
I thought there was case law (IIRC from the USSC from the early days of the republic), in which was stated that that jurors are triers of facts and the law.

Ahhh, here it is:

In the 1794 case of Georgia v. Brailsford (1794) Chief Justice John Jay charged the jury for the unanimous court,
"It may not be amiss, here, Gentlemen, to remind you of the good old rule, that on questions of fact, it is the province of the jury, on questions of law, it is the province of the court to decide. But it must be observed that by the same law, which recognizes this reasonable distribution of jurisdiction, you have nevertheless a right to take upon yourselves to judge of both, and to determine the law as well as the fact in controversy. On this, and on every other occasion, however, we have no doubt, you will pay that respect, which is due to the opinion of the court: For, as on the one hand, it is presumed, that juries are the best judges of facts; it is, on the other hand, presumbable, that the court are the best judges of the law. But still both objects are lawfully, within your power of decision."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:24:42 PM »
If jury nullification wasn't desired, why else would you put regular citizens as part of a trial?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 11:41:21 PM »
Quote from: John Jay
"It may not be amiss, here, Gentlemen, to remind you of the good old rule, that on questions of fact, it is the province of the jury, on questions of law, it is the province of the court to decide. But it must be observed that by the same law, which recognizes this reasonable distribution of jurisdiction, you have nevertheless a right to take upon yourselves to judge of both, and to determine the law as well as the fact in controversy. On this, and on every other occasion, however, we have no doubt, you will pay that respect, which is due to the opinion of the court: For, as on the one hand, it is presumed, that juries are the best judges of facts; it is, on the other hand, presumbable, that the court are the best judges of the law. But still both objects are lawfully, within your power of decision."

It's that respect part that's getting the judges all hot and bothered. They know that most of them are entirely undeserving of respect and they don't like it when jurors actually read the law and find that the judge's instructions don't seem to fit what the law says ... at all.

Sometimes jury nullification is nothing more than a jury saying, "Yeah, he's guilty but he's a good guy so we'll let him walk." The underlying concept, though, as John Jay expressed it is for the jury to have the power (and the duty) to judge the law, not to ignore it. If you see that someone is guilty under a law but you also see that it's a stupid, badly crafted law -- vote to acquit. Nullification ... of a bad law.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 07:05:14 AM »
I thought there was case law (IIRC from the USSC from the early days of the republic), in which was stated that that jurors are triers of facts and the law.

Ahhh, here it is:

In the 1794 case of Georgia v. Brailsford (1794) Chief Justice John Jay charged the jury for the unanimous court,

Sorry, birdman is 100 percent correct.

You quoted a case that is frequently (and often the only) case cited by nullies.  Judging the law does not, and never has meant judging its merits - that's a case about juries interpreting what the law means, something that is normally reserved for the court.  Juries find fact, judges decide law as a rule but not without exception.

It is not a case about nullification.  Citing it doesn't get judges hot and bothered except at the level of misunderstanding that attaches.

Freak, juries started out as a way of ensuring people who knew what happened decided the case.  They were not impartial - the origins are very deep, from a time when common law was much more primitive.  They were not invented to check state power.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:18:52 AM »

Freak, juries started out as a way of ensuring people who knew what happened decided the case.  They were not impartial - the origins are very deep, from a time when common law was much more primitive.  They were not invented to check state power.

But it sure is a handy feature.   ;)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 07:55:21 AM »
. . . Judging the law does not, and never has meant judging its merits - that's a case about juries interpreting what the law means, something that is normally reserved for the court . . .
A couple of decades ago, there was a very complicated case involving investments and securities where someone did something wrong, and was being prosecuted for it. (IIRC, this was in New York)

When the case went to the jury, they couldn't make heads nor tails out of it - and when they asked the judge for clarification, all he did is read the law to them, which was written in legalese so dense it may as well have been penned in Urdu.

They acquitted, much to the dismay of both the prosecution and the judge. They later commented that if they couldn't figure out what the law said after the alleged violation, and if the judge couldn't explain it, they couldn't in good conscience convict.

Good for them.  =D

Then of course there's the matter of relying on a judge to interpret what the law means; if it takes a judge to do that . . . how in the world can anyone OTHER than a judge be reasonably expected to comply with it?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 08:31:06 AM »
Jay's commentary is sensible and reasonable.  But, since judges have the right to overturn a decision by a jury, or direct a verdict, justice would also be well served that a jury should have the power of nullification.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »
Jay's commentary is sensible and reasonable.  But, since judges have the right to overturn a decision by a jury, or direct a verdict, justice would also be well served that a jury should have the power of nullification.

In what cases?  Under what circumstances?  If it's "always", then the powers of a jury are by definition, zero.  I don't see anything in COTUS that says "judges can overturn a jury decision or direct a verdict"
In the case of appeals, it's either "law was wrong" in which case the result cant change from acquittal to guilty, only the other way.  If it's "some other issue" (and there are defined reasons), it can -only- be retried.
I can't think of a way for a judge, even on appeal, to change acquittal to guilty without a subsequent retrial.

I may be -really- wrong, but if I am, please point out why so I may learn.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 12:31:09 PM »
the legal community, judges and prosecutors, were sure scratching their heads after the jury decided not to charge OJ Simpson.  Nullification does not always please all the folks.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »
the legal community, judges and prosecutors, were sure scratching their heads after the jury decided not to charge OJ Simpson.  Nullification does not always please all the folks.

I think that was a matter of "We're tired, confused, and pissed at the whole thing and just want to get the hell out of here."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
You quoted a case that is frequently (and often the only) case cited by nullies.  Judging the law does not, and never has meant judging its merits - that's a case about juries interpreting what the law means, something that is normally reserved for the court.  Juries find fact, judges decide law as a rule but not without exception.

It is not a case about nullification.  Citing it doesn't get judges hot and bothered except at the level of misunderstanding that attaches.

Please refresh my memory: I believe you are an attorney, but are you an American attorney? I ask because you're completely wrong on this.

Juries find fact, judges decide law as a rule but not without exception.

Go back and read John Jay's instruction.

"It may not be amiss, here, Gentlemen, to remind you of the good old rule, that on questions of fact, it is the province of the jury, on questions of law, it is the province of the court to decide. But it must be observed that by the same law, which recognizes this reasonable distribution of jurisdiction, you have nevertheless a right to take upon yourselves to judge of both, and to determine the law as well as the fact in controversy."

It should be remembered that this came from the FIRST Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. If the statement is so incorrect, you might think that in the 214 years since the instruction was given the Supreme Court might have corrected it. They have not. In fact, they have affirmed it -- but then they ruled that, although juries have a right to judge the law, judges don't have to tell the juries that they have that right.

It is not a case about nullification.  Citing it doesn't get judges hot and bothered except at the level of misunderstanding that attaches.

Wrong again. Judges get VERY hot and bothered about it. I've experienced it first-hand. I actually had a judge tell me straight out that John Jay never made such a statement. (How sad for the judge that I'm a direct descendant of the aforementioned John Jay, my great-grandfather on that side of the family was a professor of law at Yale, and my grandfather was his student. I kinda sorta knew a bit of what I was talking about.)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »
As I said before, one doesn't need precedent to say nullification is legal.  As per my earlier statement, unless you can prosecute juries for their decisions -and- eliminate double jeopardy, nullification can legally occur.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »
Please refresh my memory: I believe you are an attorney, but are you an American attorney? I ask because you're completely wrong on this.

Yes I am.

Go back and read John Jay's instruction.

"It may not be amiss, here, Gentlemen, to remind you of the good old rule, that on questions of fact, it is the province of the jury, on questions of law, it is the province of the court to decide. But it must be observed that by the same law, which recognizes this reasonable distribution of jurisdiction, you have nevertheless a right to take upon yourselves to judge of both, and to determine the law as well as the fact in controversy."

It should be remembered that this came from the FIRST Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. If the statement is so incorrect, you might think that in the 214 years since the instruction was given the Supreme Court might have corrected it. They have not. In fact, they have affirmed it -- but then they ruled that, although juries have a right to judge the law, judges don't have to tell the juries that they have that right.

Determine the law does not mean "decide if you like it."  The reason you don't understand this is that you aren't familiar with the plethora of cases about what juries do (find facts) and what judges and lawyers do (interpret and apply the law). 

Claims about jury nullification law are about as legally valid as those tax seminars about the 16th amendment.

Wrong again. Judges get VERY hot and bothered about it. I've experienced it first-hand. I actually had a judge tell me straight out that John Jay never made such a statement. (How sad for the judge that I'm a direct descendant of the aforementioned John Jay, my great-grandfather on that side of the family was a professor of law at Yale, and my grandfather was his student. I kinda sorta knew a bit of what I was talking about.)

Legal training is not hereditary.  The judge probably got bothered because you presented the statement like you did here - in a way not even close to what it actually means.

Birdman is exactly right on this.  In fact there HAVE been cases of legislators trying to hold jurors accountable for deliberations, but they are routinely shot down because of the constitutional and common law status of juries.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 12:59:53 AM »
Determine the law does not mean "decide if you like it."  The reason you don't understand this is that you aren't familiar with the plethora of cases about what juries do (find facts) and what judges and lawyers do (interpret and apply the law).

I understand it very well. The reason you don't think I understand it is that I don't agree with you. 

Legal training is not hereditary.  The judge probably got bothered because you presented the statement like you did here - in a way not even close to what it actually means.

I didn't "present" it in any way at all. During group voir dire one of the attorneys asked if anyone would have a problem following the judge's instructions on the law. Since I was under oath, I had to raise my hand. After all, I hadn't heard the case, I had no idea what law or laws might be involved, and I hadn't heard the judge's instructions on whatever laws might have been involved. How could I possibly [honestly] agree to follow the [unknown] judge's [unknown] instructions on the [unknown] law? It would have been like signing a blank check -- on someone else's bank account.

What do you think "determine the law" means, if it doesn't mean "determine the law"?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
birdman:  Cornell University Law School/Legal Information Institute

Directed Verdict

A ruling entered by a trial judge after determining that there is no legally sufficient evidentiary basis for a reasonable jury to reach a different conclusion.  The trial court may grant a directed verdict either sua sponte or upon a motion by either party.  A directed verdict may be granted at any time, but usually occurs after at least one party has been fully heard.

Motions for a directed verdict are governed by: Rule 50 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, and Rule 29 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure.

For a discussion of directed verdicts in the context of criminal litigation:  See Carlisle v. United States, 517 US 416 (1996).
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
birdman:  Cornell University Law School/Legal Information Institute

Directed Verdict

A ruling entered by a trial judge after determining that there is no legally sufficient evidentiary basis for a reasonable jury to reach a different conclusion.  The trial court may grant a directed verdict either sua sponte or upon a motion by either party.  A directed verdict may be granted at any time, but usually occurs after at least one party has been fully heard.

Motions for a directed verdict are governed by: Rule 50 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, and Rule 29 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure.

For a discussion of directed verdicts in the context of criminal litigation:  See Carlisle v. United States, 517 US 416 (1996).

Can you tell me how often directed guilty verdicts occur in criminal proceedings?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »
What do you think "determine the law" means, if it doesn't mean "determine the law"?

It means "an exchange created by the state."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »
I have no idea, though it seems to me that it would be very rare.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 04:18:02 AM »
Can you tell me how often directed guilty verdicts occur in criminal proceedings?

Never, they are not allowed in the American system.

Hawk, you described a good example of why they ask those questions of juries.  The legal system isn't supposed to be a popularity contest of laws - that's what politics are for.  The court is meant to apply the law the same way for everyone.  Can't do that if jurors want to ignore all judicial interpretation of what the law actually means.

Gramps, a bit of digging on summary judgement/JNOV/directed verdict will actually yield cases that help illustrate how ridiculous the nulli arguments are.  Those cases are all about judges deciding law versus juries deciding fact.

Still, because jury verdicts in crimes to acquit are unreviewable (convictions mostly are too), there's the power to acquit for whatever reason.