Author Topic: Coworker got a Judge - split casings...  (Read 5558 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Coworker got a Judge - split casings...
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »
A coworker of mine got a Taurus Judge - the .410/.45 handgun.

The problem is that he's CONVINCED that it's rated for  .44 Remington Magnum rounds.  I haven't found ANY Judge models that specify that(and I'm not suprised).  The casings he's fired have a nice vertical crack down one side.   :O

He's still convinced, but I'm like you need to read the documentation some more.

edit - I think he was talking about .44 Remington Magnum, I was getting the .44 and the .45 Long Colt mixed up.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:00:32 AM by Firethorn »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Coworker got a Judge - split casings...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:56:55 AM »
.44 Colt? I'm not familiar with that round.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »
When he blows himself up please send my regards.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:05:12 AM »
Oh, .44 mag? That young gentleman is a flaming idiot, and he's liable to git hisself hurt. Email Taurus, they'll back you up.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:12:36 AM »
Sounds like this problem will eventually solve itself.  Hope he doesn't lose any important parts when the lesson comes down though.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:15:55 AM »
I just went and grabbed my copy of Speer #13 to see what the operating pressures of the two cartridges are.

.45 Colt: 14,000psi
.44 Mag: 36,000psi

You could try sharing that information with him but it sounds like he doesn't much care for things like them complicated number dohickeys.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »
Oh, .44 mag? That young gentleman is a flaming idiot, and he's liable to git hisself hurt. Email Taurus, they'll back you up.

Not exactly a 'young' gentleman, he's got a few years on me.

GigaBuist - wouldn't the extra 'room' to expand help keep the pressure down?

Still, I think we should thank Taurus for making such a tough gun.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:32:23 AM »
Firing a .44 Mag in a .45 Colt / .410 chamber is going to lower pressures substantially, but send a 0.429" diameter bullet rattling down a bore that's 0.454" or so and accuracy may suffer.

I would not do this.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »
I call dibs on all theunfired .410 he leaves behind.  I can always wash off the gooey stuff. :O

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
The .44 Magnum (both the case and the bullet) is smaller in diameter than .45 Colt. The case is a loose fit in the chamber, so it's almost guaranteed to split when fired. How your friend thinks a .45 caliber weapon is "rated" to fire any .44 caliber ammunition is beyond comprehension.

The .44 Magnum case has an outside diameter of .456" at the case mouth.

The .45 Colt has an outside diameter of .480" at the case mouth.

Does he need any futher explanation for split cases?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »
This thread is useless without pictures.

Including the ambulance photos...   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »
My first thought was the same as Hawkmoon's, does he think split cases are normal?  How about the bullets hitting all over the place, is that his average accuracy anyway?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »
.44 Colt is an older round found in a lot of conversions.  SASS brought it back somewhat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44_Colt
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
Had a guy doing something similar at a range I volunteer at.

Couldn't find .45Colt to go plinking, so he just bought .44 magnum instead.  Hey, it's smaller, right?  And it fits... :O

Hits were all over the place downrange, and recoil was beating the guy up something fierce.  RSO goes over 'cuz he notices something is just "wrong," and sees the situation.  Removes the guy from the line with instructions to get his gun checked out by a smith and never shoot wrong ammo in his gun again.

It blew my mind when I heard this story.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »
Y'all know what the difference between genius and stupidity is?

Genius has limits.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 12:59:31 PM »
GigaBuist - wouldn't the extra 'room' to expand help keep the pressure down

Don't count on it.  Non-intuitive things (tending to the catastrophic) happen when you push the envelope in reloading.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »
He really just ought to stuff two .22's in there instead. Much cheaper...
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 01:43:09 PM »
He really just ought to stuff two .22's in there instead. Much cheaper...

I am sure someone, somewhere, had already tried this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »
My first thought was the same as Hawkmoon's, does he think split cases are normal?  How about the bullets hitting all over the place, is that his average accuracy anyway?

1.  He thought he had a bad lot of ammo.  Came over asking me if Hornady was a good ammo company...
2.  Didn't see him shooting; don't know how the accuracy was.
It's a brand new gun - I was initially thinking maybe the gun was drilled wrong(Not having a judge myself, it took a bit of research to remember that it takes .45LC, not .44).  Guy's normally pretty smart, I took him at his word at first.  Did I mention that I think Taurus should be thanked for building such a tough gun?

On the injury aspect - no injuries yet.  He did mention that it kicks good.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
I am sure someone, somewhere, had already tried this.
I read a story on THR IIRC, about a guy who had a wee problem with his Glock. The rounds were FALLING out of the barrel. Turns out he had a Glock 22, and had stuffed the mag full of - you guessed it: .22 LR...

Read another story years ago about some guy who managed to blow up a revolver pretty bad. Must've been something like perhaps a .45LC or somesuch, he'd loaded it with .44 Magnum rounds, putting a layer of TAPE around them to make them rattle less in the chamber. Top strap blew clean off the gun :O.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
How can you even get .22 L.R. ammo to fit in a Glock 22 mag?  That surprises me.  I guess it didn't occur to them that the rounds are suppose to fit in the barrel.

I guess we should never underestimate the power of shop talk and rumors and how much people can believe them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »
How can you even get .22 L.R. ammo to fit in a Glock 22 mag?  That surprises me.  I guess it didn't occur to them that the rounds are suppose to fit in the barrel.

I guess we should never underestimate the power of shop talk and rumors and how much people can believe them. 
I have absolutely no idea. Then, I guess that stupid people will find a way.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »
Is it not true that the pressure inside the casing causes the casing to stick to the chamber walls until the pressure is released?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 05:00:33 PM »

Sounds like he owned a Glock .22lr conversion unit and used the .22lr mag without the conversion slide on top....

I can just imagine the look on  his face when he pulled the trigger and a whole .22lr cartridge shot out of that .40 barrel....  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.