Author Topic: Building a tool box, need advice  (Read 3519 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Building a tool box, need advice
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
So after years of apartment living where I either paid someone else to do my vehicle maintenance or went to a friend’s house and borrowed their tools, I’m in a house and looking to get started doing it myself again. I have a few of the basic homeowner tools covered (screwdrivers, allen wrenches, vice grips, hammers, cordless drill, multi-meter, dry wall tools etc) but not much that I can use on a car. So I’m hoping for suggestions on 1. a good basic set of tools I should be getting and 2. what make and model you’d suggest for each type. Uses would be the aforementioned vehicle maintenance as well as general repair and fabrication work. Just thinking of hand tools here, not powered stuff. Here’s what I’m thinking, although obviously there's a lot more…

Socket set: English and metric, standard and deep well, 3/8” drive.

Combo box and open end wrenches: English and metric, ideally short throw ratcheting on the box end.

Channel locks.

Wire crimpers.

MAPP gas torch.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Building a tool box, need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »
Do you have a budget?

This should cover your basic socket/box wrench collection for $200

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00935255000P

I probably have close to $12k in hand tools that I have purchased since I was 16. Tools are like guns you collect them over time.

I'm also out grown my rolling tool cart and I'm looking for a new one, those can be scary expensive.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:52:57 PM »
For the sockets I have been exceptionally pleased with Harbor Freight's line. Before you think HF stuff is crap, believe me I've tested this stuff for several years of hard use and they've held up very well. HF is also good for specialty tools like a ball joint press set and so forth. Oh, and stick to standard style sockets, not the funky pass through bullshit.

I have not tried their wrenches. I tend to stick with Craftsman wrenches, snag them on sale. Add 1/2 drive to your list, plus a breaker bar and several extensions of the sizes. You can get a set of the ratcheting wrenches if you want, I've never had a set personally.

Channel locks. Channel lock brand.

For the wire crimpers I would get a set of the ratcheting ones...there is a good pair for $25 at Autozone. Works on butt splices and terminal ends and gives a solid, secure connection consistently and a lot easier than the el cheapo all in one pliers. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Motormite-Ratcheting-terminal-crimper/_/N-25l2?itemIdentifier=238729&_requestid=307105

Good oil filter wrench. I prefer the strap kind.

You could actually have a pretty good start with something like the 250 piece mechanic's tool set from Craftsman.

Oh, and you definitely need a scan tool. Cheaper ones will get you where you need to go most of the time.

The big set of Craftsman screwdrivers. Some prybars. Star drivers, hex drivers, etc for the stupid specialty stuff.

Jack and jack stands.

I would stick with Craftsman, Harbor Freight, and Kobalt tools from Lowes. I wouldn't waste my money by buying Snap-On and such, yeah they are a slightly better tool but not worth the extra $$ IMHO. Plus you can at least find Sears, Harbor Freight, and Lowes on Sunday afternoon when you break your needed tool (and you will break tools, even the best brands) and need it replaced...good luck hunting down a SnapOn or Mac tool truck then.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:02:07 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »

Good pliers and snips.

I'd make a good electronics kit, but that's me. Crimper, wire snips, soldering iron, etc. May not be necessary for you.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »
Good pliers and snips.

I'd make a good electronics kit, but that's me. Crimper, wire snips, soldering iron, etc. May not be necessary for you.

I forgot to mention I do have a soldering iron although not a vice to hold the work. I have a stripper/cutter, but plan on getting a crimper and better stripper. Also want a pair of diagonal cutters as well as needle nose and lineman's pliers.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »
I've not got much good to say about racheting box wrenches unless you buy top of the line. I'd normally prefer to buy standard craftsman wrenches for the warranty, not sure if such a deal now, chances of Sears existing in 20 years is ???  High end wrenches have gotten stupid priced, I love a good Cornwell or Snap-on wrench but I'm not paying the new tag, same with high end tool boxes. There is just not enough qualitative difference between them and the Harbor Freight BS to justify the 10x cost difference. Also, better to have 5 sets of cheap wrenches where you need them than one fine set locked up at home.

Best tool box buy is "US General" line from harbor freight.

A good bench vise is never a bad buy. Another great thing to find used. In fact, I will buy as much used as I can. My daily use ball peen hammer was a yard sale find sans hammer. Actually made right, I keep it polished and the face is hard enough to not mar, good luck finding that in a new tool. My scroll saw is Craftsman from when they were US made, $1. Good 1940s cast aluminum handle hacksaw with 3 new blades, 50 cents. I love yard sales.

Kobalt? Ok tools, I have a lot of personal spite though in buying Chinese tools at American prices in a store that goes so hard after the bubba demographic. I'll skip straight to harbor freight if I want chinese tools.

Things not to buy Chinese:
-Wiss snips
-Channelocks
-Vise grips
-rachets
-any air tool
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »
Don't skimp on the jack stands, get craftsman or similar quality.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »
Charbs nailed it.  The craftsman kits are a great relatively inexpensive way to get a fairly decent starter mechanics tool set.

Things not to buy Chinese:
-Wiss snips
-Channelocks
-Vise grips
-rachets
-any air tool

This too.

And in no particular order:

I'll add that having a bench with a vice on it - and preferably bolt the bench to the floor - is a really nice option if you have room.  I just have some basic stuff made from 2x4's and plywood, works great. 
Also, those yellow 500 watt halogen lights everyone sells are fantastic.  Got to see what your doing.

A jack and jack stands, of course.  I know a lot of people don't trust Chinese castings, but I've had excellent luck with my harbor freight 6 ton jack stands.

I personally never had any luck heating rusted bolts etc with a mapp or even a mapp-oxy torch.  I got to the point where I thought the whole "heat the bolt up" thing was kind of overrated... until I bought an oxyacetylene rig.  That was just a $100 harbor freight torch [plus the cost of cylinders], worth every penny.

I use taps more then I ever expected I would.  A good set of those is handy to have around, but not a out-of-the-gate priority.  Think Irwin or Vermont American.

Consumables like, rags, chip brushes, wd-40, nitrite gloves and fast orange hand cleaner are nice to have.  If you don't already, dedicate some old clothing as work clothes.

I know you're just talking about hand tools, but be mindful of PPE for whatever you're doing, in particular Z87.1 safety glasses.  Yes, they look dorky, wear them anyway.  You get two eyes for depth perception, not redundancy.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate it. Can't believe I left bench vise off the list! Probably want to go used on that one, what should I be looking for?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
That was just a $100 harbor freight torch [plus the cost of cylinders], worth every penny.

Yep. You can get a light duty O/A torch and burglar pack (the small bottles) for real cheap.

Consumables are cheap cheap cheap at HF.

+1 on safety glasses. Uvex is my preferred brand and they are pretty much industry standard.

If you've got the time for it scrounge yard sales, flea market etc for tools and you'll find lots of good *expletive deleted*it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate it. Can't believe I left bench vise off the list! Probably want to go used on that one, what should I be looking for?

Well, I can recommend against harbor freight for that.  I have one, 8" I think, and the place where the leadscrew threads into the casting broke apart - it was just female threads cut in gray cast iron.  Now, I was probably abusing it, I needed a part held tight and really clamped down on it, but that design irked me.

I ended up getting a steel acme nut [$11 for a single nut, yeesh] and welding it to a machined carbon steel plate that I bolted into the vice.  It's much more rugged now, but I wouldn't buy a vice from HF again.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
Before I forget: ABC fire extinguisher.  I've only used mine once, and I was really glad to have it.

On wire crimpers: harbor freight has a pair that look similar to pliers.  You can tell that each side was a forging. [these rock]  This style works infinitely better then the stamped sheet metal type.  [this style is crap]  The connections are more reliable to boot.

*edited to add links
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:45:19 PM by Nick1911 »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »
Rubber mallet

Hammer body with interchangeable strike faces

Ball peen, large and small

BFH (big ****ing hammer)

BAC (big *ss crowbar)

full screwdriver set

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »
Bandaids
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
Speaking of jacks and jack stands, what do folks recommend there? Anyone ever just use the little ramps that you drive the front wheels up and park on top of? Always used those as a kid changing oil in the cars with my Dad.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »
Speaking of jacks and jack stands, what do folks recommend there? Anyone ever just use the little ramps that you drive the front wheels up and park on top of? Always used those as a kid changing oil in the cars with my Dad.

Those scare the frog out of me. I've seen people over drive them and park the vehicle frame on them. Another time I watched one fold underneath a car. Get a good floor jack and at least a pair of jack stands.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
Ramps are fine, just make sure you have someone with a brain guiding you on them. Easier and faster than a jack and stands.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
Those scare the frog out of me. I've seen people over drive them and park the vehicle frame on them. Another time I watched one fold underneath a car. Get a good floor jack and at least a pair of jack stands.

I use wheel chocks as well, behind the tires that I'm leaving on the ground.  A pair from HF should run under twenty bucks.

My jacks and stands are all HF gear.  I've never had a problem, even putting the F250 up on them.  Rock solid.  6 tons is more the the whole truck weighs, let alone a single axle.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
Craftsman  3/8 in. Drive  Offset Flex Head Quick Release Teardrop Ratchet

Gear wrench Set

Pry Bars

breaker bar

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
Don't forget a crescent hammer  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 06:25:35 PM »
Got to have Crescent hammers. I've got them from itty bitty to big enough I don't like carrying them more than a few feet with out help.
Farm sales and estate sales are great places to look for tools, just know what something is worth before you get into a bidding war on something.
Buy quality tools when you can, your grandkids will pass them on to their kids.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:59 PM »
You can't go wrong with chraftsman on sockets and wrenches for the most part.
Another good brand is SK, I have a 3/8 and 1/2 drive set in the truck the are pretty beefy.
Snap on is very good but very expensive, I have a few specialty tools of theirs and they are worth there weight in gold.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »
Everyone needs a BFH

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »
Everyone needs a BFH

yep and a 4' cheater bar.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
I'm also out grown my rolling tool cart and I'm looking for a new one, those can be scary expensive.

This one at Harbor Freight is right decent for $99.  You can find a coupon in Popular Mechanics about every month.

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.