Author Topic: The end is nigh  (Read 627 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The end is nigh
« on: December 22, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/giant-comets-may-threaten-earth-astronomers-145625835.html

We need to establish background checks on comets.

Or just ban science.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: The end is nigh
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/giant-comets-may-threaten-earth-astronomers-145625835.html

We need to establish background checks on comets.

Or just ban science.

But comets are also the good stuff. Lots of ice and other volatiles.  As long as you've got a space program capable of diverting or capturing, it's a boon, not a risk.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »

Enough of your sciencing, wizard. Before your kind came along, we had no such worries. And now we live in terror of your unnatural "commets." Begone. You are a menace.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »
 Read the link: "Giant comets may threaten Earth astronomers."  No need to worry unless you are an Earth astronomer.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:43:36 PM »
Read the link: "Giant comets may threaten Earth astronomers."  No need to worry unless you are an Earth astronomer.

What's an "Earth astronomer"? Is that someone who goes up a mountain and uses a telescope to look down on the earth?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:07:30 PM »
These are the astronomers on the other inhabited planets looking across space at Earth.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »
Shoddy reporting - forgot to place the blame squarely on Bush.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 08:54:27 PM »
One of the best astronomy books I ever read is "Newton's Clock:  Chaos Theory in the Solar System." This, both for its detailed and insightful history of astronomy, and for a "mild" presentation of chaos theory as it is related to planetary, asteroidal, and cometary orbits.

Basically, and I don't want to "defend" it here, but orbital calculations are pretty precise --to the limit of how far down the chain of differential equations required that you want to (or can) go.  

Regardless of the enormous computing power available today, there is still a limit on this.  And it has been demonstrated that occasionally, that last-plus-one differential term that you didn't evaluate, does make a difference either suddenly or over the long term.

Thus, we can never know for sure whether or not a tiny unpredicted impact of a one pound object with another one-pound object out by Pluto will ultimately disrupt the orbital mechanics of the whole solar system.  Far-fetched, but so is getting an ace-high straight flush.

Yes, within the rather incredibly sophisticated and detailed orbital calculations of the major solar bodies, everything looks OK  for the next 10^X years.  But there are innumerable little chunks of ice and rocks out there, beyond the asteroid belt, which interact with each other in unknown ways.

Take a look at the rings of Saturn.  In the flybys, it was noted that the small bodies which comprise them are actually orbiting each other, such that within each ring, they have formed up into complex spiral orbits within the ring itself.  This was pretty much unexpected, and their interactions are still ongoing.

Astronomers have a hard enogh time calculating the orbit of the moon, and as of about 1996, they finally got it to within two or three seconds of arc.  But as far as I know, that's about the best we know.

Pretty good, huh?  But remember, almost every spectacular space shot we make, to the moon or Mars or to that comet we plunked with an 800 lb copper slug, took mid-course corrections.

For centuries, astronomers have dealt with what is called the "Three-Body Problem," that is, to calculate the orbits of three bodies swinging around each other.  We've got that down pretty pat now, with our supercomputers and all.

But with the realities of the solar system, we're not dealing with three bodies.  We're dealing with "The Million-Body" problem.

So how nigh is nigh?  Nobody really knows for sure.

You just play the cards you have in your hand.  You takes your chances, and you makes your bet.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:11:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.