Author Topic: Bullet Sources?  (Read 2335 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bullet Sources?
« on: February 01, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
Where are you guys who reload buying your bullets?

I have for years been using Lasercast lead bullets from Oregon Trail, including for the .45ACP. I've been very happy with them as they are a very hard lead alloy, and don't leave any big mess in my barrels (I use them in .45ACP, .45LC, .44mag, and 10MM). However, now that I'm getting into suppressors, all my reading tells me to avoid lead bullets because they leave a very hard to remove lead coating inside the suppressor.

So I guess I'm looking for good, but reasonably priced jacketed bullet options. The main bullet I shoot, and the one I would be first suppressing, is the .45ACP, and I exclusively use 230gr RNs for reloading that cartridge.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Bullet Sources?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 10:17:28 AM »
For pistol, I usually shoot plated bullets, usually X-Treme or my second choice is to get Rainier locally.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
I use plated bullets because I shoot at an indoor range. I almost always buy from Berry's. The only exception is some special, heeled .44 Colt Original bullets (not plated) that I load for a cowboy six-gun. I got those from a specialty bullet caster who deals in odd bullets in low quantities.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
Does Midway not carry what you want?  For my hunting rifles I usually buy bullets from them.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »
Does Midway not carry what you want?  For my hunting rifles I usually buy bullets from them.

Even Cabela's carries what I want. I was just looking for brand input for quality vs price. These .45 loads are all 5.0gr W231 plinking loads for range practice, so I'm just looking for a decent, problem free bullet at an, "I shoot a lot" price.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 11:18:43 AM »
I mostly cast my own bullets.  I also buy some from Midsouth Shooters Supply – Magnus Bullets.  But those are also lead bullets (some cast, some swaged.)  For what you want, I think I'd buy Berry's plated bullets.  I have used them before without any problems, and I think Cabela's still sells them.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »
Even Cabela's carries what I want. I was just looking for brand input for quality vs price. These .45 loads are all 5.0gr W231 plinking loads for range practice, so I'm just looking for a decent, problem free bullet at an, "I shoot a lot" price.

This is what I've been using for years: https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/bp-45-452-230gr-rn

Caution -- the Berry's bullet is a bit shorter than many other 230-grain bullets, so the actual velocity is less than what load data might lead you to expect. I load that bullet over 5.3 grains of Winchester 231, and my velocities are on the low side of 800 fps.

BTW -- I'm pretty sure Berry's prices include shipping.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »
For pistol ammo, I've used Berry's plated, Precision Bullet's coated, and generally any of the major manufacturer's FMJ offerings.

I haven't reloaded in a few years, so I don't know how the prices stack up.  IIRC, the Precision bullets were cheapest.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 01:21:38 PM »
Gunshows.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 01:33:23 PM »
would powder coated bullets work for this application?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
IIRC I might have an extra ammo can full of jacketed 230s somewhere. Let me see if I can locate that ammo can  among all the other identical full ammo cans...
I never thought I would say it, but I really might have too much reloading components.
I prefer hardcast lead 200g in the .45 cal and I probably have no less than oh maybe 10,000? I am oversupplied in every caliber I own except 9mm which has dropped below the 2k threshold.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 03:54:21 PM »
I am oversupplied in every caliber I own except 9mm which has dropped below the 2k threshold.

You can fix that pretty easy.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 04:25:18 PM »
You can fix that pretty easy.
Yeah, I know I should order another case of 9mm...

I found the aforementioned ammo can but I am sad to report it only holds 600 FMJs. (Must have loaded some up once upon a time since I also found a full can of loaded 230 FMJs). Hardly enough to bother with but I don’t need them and most of it would probably fill a USPS small flat rate box. Let me play with it this next week and see what it looks like.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 10:24:06 PM »
I'm about her cast my own.  Before that I bought some Remington FMJ and then found Berry's. I I had to buy some now I would check with Missouri Bullet Company.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 10:52:51 PM »
I used Berrys a lot when they were cheaper, Montana Gold is another good source.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 08:56:20 AM »
I'll maybe give the Berrys a roll since they seem to be popular and in a plinking price range.

I'll need to do some more research on lead and suppressors. I've only seen the general "avoid lead" comments, but nothing about whether hardcast is possibly acceptable or not. I've really grown to love the lasercasts over the last couple of decades. Of course with only one or two of my pistols set up for a can, I don't need to give them up completely.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »
I've run about 200 rounds of 200gr .308/.309 lead hardcast .300 AAC that's been powdercoated (cheap Harbor Freight powder baked in a toaster oven) through my Gemtech 9mm multimount at subsonic speeds of about 1050fps.

Not as tight as an actual .30 caliber can with .69mm of clearance on all sides,  but no evidence of lead or powdercoat plastic in my suppressor.
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2020, 02:49:06 PM »
Gunshows.

Pretty much what I do if I find particular bullets I like.

Otherwise Sportsman Warehouse or LGS. Usually can't justify buying online, everyone charges sales tax now, so no advantage there. I like to buy from brick and mortar stores, most of them are competitive with online sellers.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 04:43:43 PM »
Pretty much what I do if I find particular bullets I like.

Otherwise Sportsman Warehouse or LGS. Usually can't justify buying online, everyone charges sales tax now, so no advantage there. I like to buy from brick and mortar stores, most of them are competitive with online sellers.

I mildly despise you for having a Sportsman's Warehouse. Ours went away when they went into bankruptcy reorganization and never came back.  =(
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 06:00:56 PM »
I mildly despise you for having a Sportsman's Warehouse. Ours went away when they went into bankruptcy reorganization and never came back.  =(

It's in Ankeny, IA, 100 miles away, but I go by it once/twice a week. It's not as good as it used to be, but still cheaper than most brick and mortar stores.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 03:09:11 PM »
Midway just put Berry’s plated bullets on sale 15-20% off according to my email
I didn’t check specific calibers or selection.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 03:11:55 PM »

Midway still have BOHICA shipping charges?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 03:15:17 PM »

Thanks. I'll check the prices and compare to the local Sportsmans Warehouse.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »
Midway still have BOHICA shipping charges?
Yes and no. They often have free shipping on orders over $49 and .01 hazmat charges if you watch for it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 07:36:03 AM »
"It's in Ankeny, IA, 100 miles away..."

Next time I get to Iowa I'm going to have to check it out. My friends have an investment property in Ankeny.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.