Author Topic: The Endurance has... endured  (Read 914 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
The Endurance has... endured
« on: March 09, 2022, 09:53:15 AM »
Artic explorer Ernest Shackleton's ship found a century after it was crushed by ice and sank.

https://www.kcbd.com/2022/03/09/antarctic-explorer-shackletons-ship-found-after-century/?fbclid=IwAR00bn9byB3S1B9QtZvF47e4lAa25L6YxL0J_S242oH6BS2Q3tKjBV0lrm0

Seems sinking really deep in very cold salt water is good for preservation.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Endurance has... endured
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
Wow, very cool!

For anyone who hasn't read the book, it is a must read.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 09:54:52 AM »
Wow
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 04:28:08 PM »
IIRC it's about 10,000 feet down. Not a lot of free oxygen to support the kind of organisms that would promote rapid decay is my guess.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 08:07:15 PM »
That's one of my favorite reads of nonfiction.  So cool to see pictures of the actual vessel.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 09:45:29 AM »
I wonder how many pounds this cost...
Blog under construction

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 10:39:13 PM »
So I was gifted a bottle of this scotch:

https://www.theshackletonwhisky.com/discover-shackleton-whisky/

Cool bottle,  I like the spirit of the marketing.  Decided to have a couple fingers in honour of the Endurance.  The whisky itself?  Really makes me think more of a Bushmills product than a highland blend.  Not crazy about it.  Still looks cool in the liquor cabinet as a conversation piece.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 10:53:43 PM »
IIRC it's about 10,000 feet down. Not a lot of free oxygen to support the kind of organisms that would promote rapid decay is my guess.

And, because Antarctica never had much in the way of forests, the types of wood-destroying insects common in warmer wreck sites, aren't found on the Endurance.  Over 100 years and they have finally found it.  Incredible !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 07:55:15 AM »
"wood-destroying insects"

:O

Teredo worms are the biggest culprit, and they're mollusks. I don't think any of the submarine wood eaters are insects. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.