Author Topic: International Calling on Cell?  (Read 615 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
International Calling on Cell?
« on: December 24, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
Curious what any of you that do any international calling on your cell use for service. Using Verizon directly isn't real cost effective for me. I mostly just make calls on holidays and occasionally through the year, so the only Verizon services that make sense are either the $0.27/min - $5/mo plan, or the straight $1.69/min plan. Neither is very cost effective. If it's a longer call, my relatives will actually call me back as they pay practically nothing for international as part of basic service. That's kind of rude of me though. :)

My easy option would probably be Internet calling, but I only have 4mbs bandwidth and am not sure that will handle it, as I think VOIP requires a good bit more and I think (?) all internet options are VOIP based? Don't know if there are any other internet options. Anyone have experience with any of the "third party" services? I suppose an international card is an option as well, but I loathe typing or programming in 50 freakin' digits to call everybody. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: International Calling on Cell?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »
I've only made one call with my cell, and the woman I called couldn't understand me, as the sound was garbled. I called from my land line and everything was fine.

I have Boost Mobile for my cell, and I believe there was a per minute fee. I have AT&T for my land line, and international calling is not additional.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »
If you have 4G you can use Skype (or some similar app) running on your phone to VOIP on your data plan.  That works pretty well.

If I am traveling outside the states I will either turn on Verizon's international plan for that month to get better rates, or slam a Local SIM card in my phone.

ETA: Apple has their Facetime thing, that I've seen people use, but again, it takes bandwidth. 4mbs is pretty limiting.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »

If I am traveling outside the states I will either turn on Verizon's international plan for that month to get better rates, or slam a Local SIM card in my phone.

This, but I can only vouch for GB and Ireland.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 03:30:44 PM »
If you have 4G you can use Skype (or some similar app) running on your phone to VOIP on your data plan.  That works pretty well.

How bandwidth dependent is that? I'm sort of on a 4G fringe area as well. While I get a steady signal, Speedtest tells me that at various times I'm getting anything from 5mbps to 15mbps. I'm sure there is no problem at the upper range, but not so sure about the lower.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »
How bandwidth dependent is that? I'm sort of on a 4G fringe area as well. While I get a steady signal, Speedtest tells me that at various times I'm getting anything from 5mbps to 15mbps. I'm sure there is no problem at the upper range, but not so sure about the lower.

Even the lower range bandwidth would be fine if bandwidth was the only consideration. With VoIP latency and packet routing would be a bigger issue than bandwidth and it is unlikely cell providers are doing any QoS for VoIP on their circuits, but I could be wrong on that. Most decent 4G service should be ok for Skype audio though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »
Even the lower range bandwidth would be fine if bandwidth was the only consideration. With VoIP latency and packet routing would be a bigger issue than bandwidth and it is unlikely cell providers are doing any QoS for VoIP on their circuits, but I could be wrong on that. Most decent 4G service should be ok for Skype audio though.

Ah, good to know. Latency on my microwave connection is actually pretty excellent.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »
I use a app call LINE. You can make phone calls and also video chat.

I was " talking " to a nice lady in Holland. 

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 08:53:01 PM »
The other person has to have Line though. While here in Japan I just payed the $10 for MagicJack and I use that to call people back in the US, gives me a phone number from the state of my choice and they can call me though it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:53 PM »
Back in the day, it was something like 46pfg every 6 seconds to call from Germany.   So we would call our folks, say "Hi", hang up, and they would call us back, as it was much cheaper to call us from the states (like $.35 minute as opposed to our $3.75/min*).  However, my ex-'s mom could never get the time difference correct, and would call at 2-3am.  Which would get my heart racing as that was when they would call "Alerts" (Lariat Advance was the code phrase), just to have my clueless MIL say "Hi, is so-so there?"

She finally figured it out after I called her once at 2am, her time, on a Wednesday.   "Hi MIL, how's the weather there, here's your daughter..."

Glad to see that things have changed for the better.  Capitalism and innovation bringing people closer and driving down costs...

* - We did send several wives back to the states after running up several thousands of dollars of Bundespost Phone bills, because PV2 Snuffy was out in the field a lot and they lonely so called home to talk to family and friends....for hours....  IIRC, the record was over $28,000 in phone calls back to the states.... Yep, PV2 Snuffy got moved into the barracks, Mrs. Snuffy got a flight back to the states, and the Deutschebundespost got a payment plan for pfennigs on the Deutschemark....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 03:22:00 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 07:52:32 AM »
Depending on where you're calling, Google voice can be pretty good. It's free to Canada, and pretty cheap to most other places. Their voicemail service is pretty nice too, and can be used in lieu of you cell provider's.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
Back in the day, it was something like 46pfg every 6 seconds to call from Germany.   So we would call our folks, say "Hi", hang up, and they would call us back, as it was much cheaper to call us from the states (like $.35 minute as opposed to our $3.75/min*).  However, my ex-'s mom could never get the time difference correct, and would call at 2-3am.  Which would get my heart racing as that was when they would call "Alerts" (Lariat Advance was the code phrase), just to have my clueless MIL say "Hi, is so-so there?"

She finally figured it out after I called her once at 2am, her time, on a Wednesday.   "Hi MIL, how's the weather there, here's your daughter..."

Glad to see that things have changed for the better.  Capitalism and innovation bringing people closer and driving down costs...

Yeah, I still remember when I was a kid, a couple of the stingier relatives would only call if someone died. "Hi, Hans dropped dead. Bye"   :laugh:

Funny how it has turned around. They all have killer cell plans for dirt cheap.