Author Topic: Moar friendly skies  (Read 1129 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Moar friendly skies
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
This time "courtesy" of American Airlines:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3387806/american-airlines-steward-banned-whacks-sobbing-mum/

Cabin steward whacks mother of twins with stroller, then when a passenger tells him that's unacceptable steward challenges passenger to fight. It seems air travel these days has devolved even lower than being a commodity. It's becoming more and more an opportunity to pay for being punished and tortured. A different article I read over the weekend reported that the major airlines are responding to the marketplace ... by adding perks to first class while taking away even more perks and services from coach.

I hope I never have to fly again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Moar friendly skies
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
I hope I never have to fly again.

Yes, because these two recent events are indicative of the quality of the industry as a whole.   ;/

I've been in the airline business for 21+ years and have never seen an event like these.  I have many pilot friends, and they haven't seen these types of events.  You know why? Because most people are nice and treat others nicely.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
Yes, because these two recent events are indicative of the quality of the industry as a whole.   ;/

I've been in the airline business for 21+ years and have never seen an event like these.  I have many pilot friends, and they haven't seen these types of events.  You know why? Because most people are nice and treat others nicely.
Most people are nice and treat others nicely. Even if they work for the airlines or TSA. There really is such a thing as common courtesy.

I don't fly a lot, but I HAVE seen exceptions to the "niceness" on multiple occasions, though - fortunately! - not to the level of UA goons assaulting a paying passenger who's already been seated and dragging him off the plane, just to make room for someone else. And the exceptions have not repeat not always been rude passengers.

Cell phones with built in cameras are the reason events like these are being documented, as well as instances of teachers, police officers, etc. behaving badly. And that's a good thing.

It's hard to say something never happened when there's clear video - often shot from multiple viewpoints - saying it did happen.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »

Understood, and agreed. However, the overall experience of flying has been in a constant state of decline for several years. Much of that is not the fault of you pilots, and to a lesser extent the cabin crews. The TSA isn't even the fault of the airlines, but other factors are. I'm "only" 6'-1" tall, which isn't tall by today's standards, and I can't fit in a coach seat with only 31 inches of seat pitch. There was a time when I could request -- and get -- an exit row or a bulkhead row, but now they make that a separate class (coach plus, or something like that, depending on what the airline chooses to call it), and they charge sometimes almost double for the privilege of getting a seat a normal human being can fit in.

Then there's the whole overbooking thing. I won't even start on the disaster I encountered on American on my way to the SHOT Show in January. Weather played a role, but the way American responded to it was not conducive to retaining passenger loyalty. And then they messed up my flight home after SHOT -- and that day was a clear, sunny day.

I used to fly a lot on business. I have flown with some cabin grew who were absolutely delightful, but I've also been on flights with cabin crew that made Attila the Hun look like a paragon of decency and diplomacy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
I am sure that the circumstances as they have been presented, are probably over blown and wrong.  What we have is a lot of passengers that are self centered, refuse to follow directions and rules, and cry when called on the carpet.  Not much on social media videos gone viral that portray reality.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »
I've been in the airline business for 21+ years and have never seen an event like these.  I have many pilot friends, and they haven't seen these types of events.  You know why?

Because there's a locked door in the way.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Treat the Stewards/stewardess's politely, and holy *expletive deleted*it,  they generally reciprocate. 

I can't get over people that treat wait staff or stewardesses or whatever like slaves because they can.  I do believe it's gotten worse over the past 10 years.  People are aholes in general.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »

People are aholes.

That's really all you needed. ;)

bob

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 02:20:37 PM »
I can't get over people that treat wait staff or stewardesses or whatever like slaves because they can.

I tend to be nice until they either screw up and make it a hassle to fix it, or screw up enough times that it's not worth the hassle.  Since 90% of my eating out is done at places where I'm pretty much a regular, it pays off in that the waitstaff will notice a problem and chew out the cook before they get to the table.

I do believe it's gotten worse over the past 10 years.

You mean as a generation of entitled little s___s can now go out without mommy and daddy?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
It just keeps getting  worse and worse for the airlines.
Where the *expletive deleted*ck were the pilots when the passengers were being subjected to this misery?
https://twitter.com/DeathAndTaxes/status/856535289539547142
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 03:41:39 PM »
It just keeps getting  worse and worse for the airlines.
Where the *expletive deleted*ck were the pilots when the passengers were being subjected to this misery?
https://twitter.com/DeathAndTaxes/status/856535289539547142

Overheard on the CVR: "Hey Alexa, how many consecutive aileron rolls can a 737 survive?"

Best comment: https://twitter.com/dubstandardUSA/status/856540191577780224

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 04:02:43 PM »
Overheard on the CVR: "Hey Alexa, how many consecutive aileron rolls can a 737 survive?"

Best comment: https://twitter.com/dubstandardUSA/status/856540191577780224

Yeah that comment is a winner  :rofl: 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”