Author Topic: Obama's National Day of Sevice  (Read 7877 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Obama's National Day of Sevice
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »
"I'm willing to volunteer through my wife's church and other charitable organizations that don't rely on cultish leaders to tell them to step up and serve."

Oh, you mean your wife's minister?

Nope.  Its a free will baptist church.  As far as religions go, they just try hard to humbly serve others.  No big cultish air about her pastor. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »
It's called relative association.

What seems perfectly normal to you, as in the minister benignly leading his flock, is the epitome of cult-like evil to someone else.

"As far as religions go, they just try hard to humbly serve others."

Gee, that sounds very VERY much like what Obama called for Americans to do in his National Day of Service! OH MY GOD, YOUR WIFE IS A CLOSET OBAMA SUPPORTER!

See how it works?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
It's called relative association.

What seems perfectly normal to you, as in the minister benignly leading his flock, is the epitome of cult-like evil to someone else.

"As far as religions go, they just try hard to humbly serve others."

Gee, that sounds very VERY much like what Obama called for Americans to do in his National Day of Service! OH MY GOD, YOUR WIFE IS A CLOSET OBAMA SUPPORTER!

See how it works?

Sounds like a SnSdnt post....
 =D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »
That's the best you can do?

Pathetic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 01:12:36 PM »
Damn Mike: who dropped the quarter in YOUR slot today?

I'll admit, I probably should have read more. But I've been hearing stuff about "compulsory volunteer service", and it just grates. Especially given what I already do...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »
That's the rub. It's not that he asked people to serve, it's that he's on record as desiring to make it mandatory. In that context, even if he's asking, it grates.
D. R. ZINN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
He proposed that for high school and college students as a requirement for graduation.

Many high schools, and some colleges, already have that in place.

I have heard NO indication that he has proposed mandatory volunteer service for every American, regardless of age.

I know we have a few college students here, but most of us are long past our college years.

And finally, I've not been able to find any definitive link between his proposals for students to "volunteer" and his call for a day of National Service.

So, the whining about it is, as I noted, seriously out of place.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:37:03 PM by Mike Irwin »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
"who dropped the quarter in YOUR slot today"

It's free pay Wednesday.

bmitchell

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
It's free pay Wednesday.

I'll take two please.

Ben

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »
How in the name of all that is Holy did you arrive at the conclusion that Obama is ORDERING you to work for him?

I didn't.  But he does seem to be telling me that I'm not allowed to be idle.  As if he has a right to tell me to work - for free. 

I don't recall what the Bushes said, but there is a difference between encouraging public service and the implication that "volunteer" work is mandatory. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 08:45:47 PM »
When I heard him talk about it I arrived at no conclusion that I was not allowed to be idle.

I suspect there's more than a little disassociation going on here -- the willingness or predetermination to take everything the man says as a deeply personal affront.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »
Ummm... would that be kinda like how you read most posters here? :P

You kinda opened yourself there bro...

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
I'm not the one thumping my chest and issuing ringing pronouncements about how YOU'RE NOT MY BOSS! in response to what has become a fairly ordinary, routine request by incoming and sitting Presidents for citizens to take an interest and active role in the affairs of their community.

Given the teeth gnashing, hair pulling, wailing, and over-the-edge hysterical predictions of "the end of the world as we know it" under Obama that have been posited here, combined with a curious propensity for so many seemingly adult posters to resort to first grade name calling when they refer to politicians, primarily the President, has me wondering if, perhaps, it's not time to shut Politics Place down permanently and completely ban political discussion of any kind here.

So, everyone had better think about that.

Get your heads out of your asses, get your minds out of hysterical tantrum "Obama is the most evil man of all time and everything he proposes is really, REALLY evil," and think about whether or not you want to A) keep Politics Place as an open forum here and B) remain a member of Armed Polite Society.

Right now there are a couple of people who are on really thin ice right along with Politics Place.

I am that sick of this *expletive deleted*it.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 09:28:47 PM »
Ummm... I was teasing. You don't have to take it personally... ;)

My opinion (worth exactly what you paid for it): I wouldn't jump on things just yet. You've issued a warning: give everyone a couple days to get it out of their system. Then wield the ban hammer like a whiffle bat...

Jeff B.

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »
Like most of you, I was working away...  no day off for me, and I was not inclined to take time to engage in some "service project".  I have served my fellow man through voluntarism, served my kids & school through supporting their activities, the community through donations and my country through service, courtesy of which I was retired early due to injuries.

I'll continue to support my community, country and fellow man, in my style and time, not at the behest of a political figure.

Jeff B.

"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
Because doing voluntary community work is just one step away from communism  :rolleyes: