Author Topic: Honduras: Free market city-states?  (Read 10997 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Honduras: Free market city-states?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »

Now imagine a new city that has attracted 100,000 or more people, can you imagine a scenario where such a small force with no heavy armor can push in a take the city against even untrained irregulars? Maybe US troops or Russians or Brits would have a chance but a banana republic military? No.

Reading comprehension much? I didn't say "capture," I said "destroy." You don't need a lot of people to shell someplace into a pile of rubble.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Yes, but destroying it gets the Honduran .gov bupkus except for a a pile of shell shipping canisters and a pile of rubble which does kind of defeat the whole purpose of the exercise.   But then .gov's have never made much sense to begin with. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »
LOL reading comprehension. Did you miss the very next sentence?

And they don't quite have the number of tubes it would take to level the place before they got sallied upon and lost them.

And that's with a town "militia" of uncertain quality. If they have the foresight to have other security arrangements then the Hondurans have no chance of doing serious harm.

And if the city sees a lot, as in a million or so, people move there then the Honduras government might have to pay protection money to the people who own the city. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »
If they become mildly wealthy city states, why couldn't they hire mercenaries to augment any militia?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 11:16:22 AM »
If they become mildly wealthy city states, why couldn't they hire mercenaries to augment any militia?

Executive Outcomes. Pretty sad too considering they were doing a damned good job in Sierra Leone and Angola. Far better than the UN ever managed and for a fraction the cost.  =|

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
I was thinking more Hong Kong before the handover to the Chinese.

Me too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
It's nice of The State to "permit" enterprise zones, isn't it?  So charitable.  Of course they are desperate and need revenues.  But the real power remains where it was.

This right here. In the end the Honduran govt is the one who holds the power to strangle the "city state". They don't have a particularly large military but, it's large enough to make life extremely hard for said city state.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
Think about it. Sell the land.  You then have investors using local labor to build.
As a government charge a low tax rate as military protection.
Leave the city-state to police itself as a free economic zone.
Profit.
Honduras has no incentive to give them a hard time.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »
Kinda reminds me of the Corporate Sector Authority mentioned in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels.....

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corporate_Sector_Authority

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
I can't gather it in me to care. Sure, people will make money, and economic freedoms are very important but I am not a libertarian because of the low taxes.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »
JJ nailed it.

I don't remember where I read it but these cities are starting out huge. It's not going to e a case of a trading post turning into a settlement that turns into a village that turns into a town, then a city, then a metropolis. They will start as large cities/metropoli and as such once a million or so folks move in the Honduran military will be impotent.

First, the top guys will have money invested.

Second, family members of the troops are likely to be moving there.

Third, any violence will probably get the perpetrators and indictment in the World Court or even in the sovereign courts of whatever nationality of person is harmed or killed. Or maybe, if it is true that the London Court (or whatever it is called) is going to be in charge of jurisprudence means that a malefactor will have at least Britain coming after them in addition to whatever other angry countries there might be.

This is a very well connected world now. Where will the person that gives the order to launch rockets or bombs at innocent folks going to hide? 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 09:11:08 PM »
Think about it. Sell the land.  You then have investors using local labor to build.
As a government charge a low tax rate as military protection.
Leave the city-state to police itself as a free economic zone.
Profit.
Honduras has no incentive to give them a hard time.

Venezuela.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »
Update:

Lawyer representing the indigenous folks where these cities will be cited, shot dead at a freaking wedding.  5 shots.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/honduras-human-rights-lawyer-who-opposed-private-cities-murdered/2012/09/23/059ff77a-05a5-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_print.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMgp97cODCA#t=2m40s

"De rodillas, hijo de la chingada!"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lysander6

• Ragnaroks!
  • Gun Control is Mind Control.
    • ZeroGov
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »
Sure, people will make money, and economic freedoms are very important but I am not a libertarian because of the low taxes.

Could you clarify this sentence?
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 11:07:39 AM »
The people who will own these cities probably already "own" the Honduran Government and some international institutions.

If you are an Owner it's a dream come true. If you are a Guest, you will do well if you play your cards right. If you are a servant, well, keep your head down and hope that the masters aren't deranged.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »
Could you clarify this sentence?

I believe I am clear.

What will likely happen is that the cities will have lower taxes and regulations, but Honduran authority will be kept with things like gun laws, drug laws, whatnot.

I am not a libertarian because I want to pay less taxes. I am a libertarian because I want to buy guns and do nootropic drugs.

There are plenty of countries that have lower taxes and less business regulations than the US and yet you would never consider moving there.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner