Author Topic: Tom Baugh REALLY doesn't like New York.  (Read 10219 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Tom Baugh REALLY doesn't like New York.
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
Article: New York Who?

http://libertynewsradio.com/wire/articles5/2010/01126_New_York_Who_135529.php

A little verbose, but some interesting points.

The trendy districts, no doubt occupied by middle-level executives of the sort who planned the bankrupting of Greece, and Birmingham, Alabama, are not the only ones with blood on their hands. No, every single denizen of that island, and surrounding boroughs, is there for one specific reason: the hope that some of the bloody slop will leak into their troughs as well. Everyone, down to the least cab driver or street performer or toll officer, is there by choice for their chance at the brass ring.

Did terrorists attack Idaho? Did they attack Georgia? Did they attack Arizona? Did they attack Alabama? Did they attack Texas? No. No terrorist plot could survive more than a few moments in any of those places, as long as the populace hadn't been disarmed by DC and impoverished by NYC. And had those two not conspired to fling our borders open to all comers, and flood our jobs and schools with virtual slaves, to increase their profits and power while closing doors to us, we would be living peaceably in our united States today.

Don't be a fool. Don't sacrifice yourself, or your children, for people who hope to make you their slaves as they steal your wealth, and hope that you will jump on command for a crumb of it back. Don't be led to believe that Islamists are a threat to you when our militias, suitably re-fanged, can prove otherwise. The Islamists may be a threat, but not to you. And certainly not to those souls who carried their rifles to the Potomac in April under the denigrating gaze of the island media.

Why, once states such as Arizona begin asserting themselves to defend their lives and property against invading gangs, they might get the dangerous idea to not bother sending their sons to fight for New York.

Stop fighting for the interests of the island power addicts and their pawns on the Potomac. Instead, fight back against them. Fight back smarter by turning your back on them. Simply ask, "New York? New York Who?"

So Baugh is openly advocating secession. He doesn't think Middle America needs the Crust. What say you?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Tom Baugh REALLY doesn't like New York.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »
Pretty much sums up my feelings of the place.
I've always listened to people in school talk about "OMG HE'S FROM NEW YORK CITY" or "I WANNA GO TO NEW YOUR CITY" in disgust.
And when I got online and talked to people who lived here, they were baffled that I wasn't insanely jealous, and I was baffled as to why they though I should be.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
I've been to NYC and the surrounding areas on many occassions; I was based there for 5 years.

I can't stand the place.

The people are self-absorbed to the point that no one exists to them outside of their own personal 2 foot diameter sphere.  That's why they are often called rude. NYers just don't give a damn about anything ouside their bubble, but they are more than eager to get inside your personal space so they can get on the bus/subway/plane/elevator before you can get off.

Whoever decided that NY is a mecca for food is an idiot. They might have a handful of good restaurants, but those will cost you a 2 hour wait and $100 just to get a table. "NY style pizza" is plain, tasteless cheese pizza that was cooked 3 hours before you ordered it, had a few canned mushrooms and slimy pepperoni added, and then was slightly warmed in an oven for 30 seconds. But at least it's cheap and available anywhere at any time.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:32:55 PM »
Demagoguery is demagoguery, even when it's advocating for positions I sorta kinda favor.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »
The people are self-absorbed to the point that no one exists to them outside of their own personal 2 foot diameter sphere.  That's why they are often called rude. NYers just don't give a damn about anything ouside their bubble, but they are more than eager to get inside your personal space so they can get on the bus/subway/plane/elevator before you can get off.

Oh, I dunno if it's that bad.  The one time I went to NYC (weekend trip with my wife and kid), everyone was pretty pleasant to us.  While reading directions to find some landmark my wife wanted to visit, a guy in a suit, obviously a fatcat, asked us if we needed help. 

Maybe we were there on a weekend when the entire city was in a good mood.

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »
probably the day after a cheech and chong show.  :O they're touring again, [popcorn] chong must be broke after getting busted. =|

http://www.cheechandchongtour.com/splash.html

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:50:10 AM »
The people are self-absorbed to the point that no one exists to them outside of their own personal 2 foot diameter sphere.

As my father says, "They think their *expletive deleted*it doesn't stink"

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jeff B.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:00:13 AM »
Screw the coasts, screw the Northeast.  Let them choke on their workers paradise.  I don't want to tell them how to live, and only ask the same courtesy from them.  I'll take the fly over states and be happy with our unwashed ignorance.

Jeff B.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 01:11:31 AM »
Most of Upstate would like to separate NYS into two states, with NYC and surrounding areas being separate from the rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York  This is where I live

I can say that with confidence too because the paper I work for ran a poll last time the issue came up.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 01:17:10 AM »
The upstaters I've met have been thorough-going hillbillies.  In a (mostly) good way. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 01:32:03 AM »
The upstaters I've met have been thorough-going hillbillies.  In a (mostly) good way. 
Pretty much what I've gathered, as well.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
Went to grad school in Rochester, NY; met a lot of good people there, and I still keep in touch with a few.

I used to go to New York City quite a bit on business - the only good people I met there were from someplace else.
. . . Whoever decided that NY is a mecca for food is an idiot . . .
I never purchased anything from any of New York's famous pushcart vendors . . . I didn't like the aroma of the camel-dung fires they used to heat their wares.  [barf]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »
Honestly, the problem isn't the coasts.

The schism is urban vs. rural. (Suburban splits, leaning rural I believe).

Honestly, if we made the major urban centers into independent cities like Hong Kong was, our country would be saved.

Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Houston, Denver, Boston.

That's 10 cities off the top of my head. Now think how much the political situation would change if those cities no longer had political influence on the affairs of the United States.

California: Probably still at least one democrat senator, but I'd bet a split with one Dem, on Rep. Obviously house balance significantly changed.
New York: Much the same.
Georgia: Even more conservative
Illinois: Two conservative republican senators. Conservatively balanced house representation.
Michigan: Not a hellhole any longer.
Missouri: Even more conservative.
Texas: Same as Missouri.
Colorado: More conservatively tilted.
Massachussets: Same a New York.

Without those 10 urban centers, I'd bet we'd have a nearly completely free country. We'd be arguing over farm subsidies and tariffs.

On the whole, I find that a much better situation. Politics should be boring. Political decisions aside from going to war should not be something that I fear how it's going to cripple my children's lives.

Instead, we get politics where our very economic future depends on what happens in the next few elections. (I've done the math, that's not hyperbole.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
Ahhh . . . Country bumpkins hating on NYC?

Envy much ??
 :laugh:

Funny, you have no idea how many people I give directions to in the city every day, and 90% of those are tourists. Yea we get tourists from all over the world, but a lot of them are Americans. I see New Yorkers giving directions to tourists everyday,  in fact its a hassle sometimes when I'm running back from my lunch break and 3 different people stop me to ask how to get to Times Square, The Empire State Building, or so and so train station. We're generally not rude, (oh but be sure I've meet my share) but everyone's in a rush, if you think that's being rude, oh well.   Second if you've ever been on a train in NYC  you'd know, YOU HAVE NO PERSONAL SPACE ON A TRAIN! Yea it sucks its hot and crowded, but it moves millions of people around a city everyday efficiently, does your city have a mass transit system to move than many people around? 

Whoever decided that NY is a mecca for food is an idiot . . .

You have no idea where to eat, try looking in ANY restaurant guide. Half the fun of exploring NYC is finding the good places to eat!

Ah and you guys this secession talk makes you all Patriots!

To me it sounds and about as unpatriotic as you can get without advocating open war on the U.S.  Yea we don't like certain aspect of this country so lets tear it apart! Sounds like the bellyaching of a child. But yea go back to thinking all your woes are because of the fringe states, I know our politicians leave much to be desired from but seriously, your the majority of the country you can't unify to block the stupid crap that comes from idiot politicians? And you want to secede?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »

Envy much ??

Get over yourself.  No one is envious of you for living in a big city.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »
I know our politicians leave much to be desired from but seriously, your the majority of the country you can't unify to block the stupid crap that comes from idiot politicians? And you want to secede?

There are fundamental differences in philosophy of government between right and left. As a nation we are more divided now than we were in 1860.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »

Envy much ??
There it is again.
lol.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »
Massive taxes.
Corrupt cops.
Filthy streets.
High crime.
Severe limitations on personal liberty.
Insanely high cost of living.

Man, what's not to love? I'm feeling envious already...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
Massive taxes.
Corrupt cops.
Filthy streets.
High crime.

Yeah man, but you don't get it.  It's the culture man, the CULTURE!  Like, I can have Ethiopian food delivered at 4am if I wanted to!  :eyeroll:
Charles Babbage

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »
Massive taxes.
Corrupt cops.
Filthy streets.
High crime.

You forgot all the pollution.
And doesn't it really stink there?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
Massive taxes.
Corrupt cops.
Filthy streets.
High crime.

You forgot a few more things about NYC . . .

Crazy traffic
Massive crowds
Noise
The smell, man, the smell.

What's not to love indeed . . .

:laugh:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »
Screw the coasts, screw the Northeast.  Let them choke on their workers paradise.  I don't want to tell them how to live, and only ask the same courtesy from them.  I'll take the fly over states and be happy with our unwashed ignorance.

;/

Sigh.  You do realize the state with likely the most open gun laws is in the Northeast (Vermont)?   Pennsylvania (except Philly and sprawl), New York (except NYC and sprawl), Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine (except Portland and sprawl) are very nice places.  Folks aren't insane and generally mind their own business.  They are most likely less impressed with workers' paradises than you are.  

That said, even in the cities (and I've been to every major one in the Northeast, Jeff), it's not as bad as gentleman with a potential rabies infection in the original post is claiming.  There are REALLY bad cities like Baltimore and Camden/Trenton.  The big cities like NYC, Boston, Philly, DC have enough redeeming features that they are worth visiting.  Boston and Philly for history, NYC for museums and art, DC for the Fedland monuments.  I hate Philly as much as the next Pennsylvanian, but at the end of the day it still has the Mutter and Rodin Museums in addition to Independence Hall.  

You can pry La Porte de l'Enfer from my cold dead hands, bro.

The problem is that the really whacked out folks are supported by a larger number of semi-moderate folks.  The semi-moderate folks don't have the cash or ideological fervor to spend every second of the day on politics.  So a mere handful of the truly obsessed wield a disproportionate amount of power. They sympathize with fragments of their ideology over the other ideology.  This is both parties, mind you.

Jeff, I'd be willing to guess that you'd support roughly 1 in a 100 laws your party puts forth.  If you had the time to read them, which not even the politicians do.  The party you drastically seem to oppose, I'd be willing to bet you'd support .8 in a 100 laws they pass.  If you did more resource, you'd notice at the end of the day, both parties have very different spoken ideology but the ideology of their laws are only different by a fraction of a percentage.  Often, not even that.  You have one huge wedge bill like Obamacare for every TEN THOUSAND bills that get passed without a peep from anyone.

Envy much ??

;/

I've been to NYC more than a few times.  I've also been to dozens of other major cities.  It has its nice features, including the grub I will concede.  I've really enjoyed the galleries and museums.  I love hanging out in Chinatown.  But... you're just another big city.  And not nearly as exotic as Savannah, San Fran, Vegas or Portland.  Population density by itself does not impress me.

Then again, there's reasons why I live in Lancaster instead of NYC.   First is, I have an Uzi in my safe, literally within stone's throw I can go buy produce from a farmer's stand that was grown right behind the stand, there's a half dozen vineyards within 20m drive, and I haven't taken longer than 60 seconds to find a parking spot in front of a store in probably six months.  No NYC'er can say the same. 

Some folks really dig the concrete jungle.  More power to them.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I've been to those concrete jungles more than a few times on safari.   I prefer being near grass, trees and mountains.  It's been painful to turn down six fig jobs in order to keep the grass, trees, Uzi's and mountains, but at the end of the day, I believe it is worth it for myself.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:59:06 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 11:57:55 AM »
Jeff, I'd be willing to guess that you'd support roughly 1 in a 100 laws your party puts forth.  If you had the time to read them, which not even the politicians do.  The party you drastically seem to oppose, I'd be willing to bet you'd support .8 in a 100 laws they pass.  If you did more resource, you'd notice at the end of the day, both parties have very different spoken ideology but the ideology of their laws are only different by a fraction of a percentage.  Often, not even that.  You have one huge wedge bill like Obamacare for every TEN THOUSAND bills that get passed without a peep from anyone.

We need to stop paying congress and only allow them to work 2 months a year. I'll be happy to pay transportation and housing costs for those 2 months.

They need to have real jobs so they don't have to justify spending so much time in Washington by passing laws that we don't need.

We already have FAR MORE LAWS than any person could possible know.

When your laws are unknowable, it's only a short trip from there to people not caring what the law is... (kinda like much of Europe.)

Corruption and disregard for the law is REALLY BAD for a society. Creates instability and enforcement based on connections and influence.

We don't want that. I'd go so far to say that almost NO ONE wants that. Yet that's where we're going.

(Note, this favors the rich far more than a market society. Yet the party driving us there claims they want to help the poor... I'm sure they'll appreciate that "help")
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »
Keep hating we love it  =D

Can see an I <3 NY shirt anywhere in the world, but yea your cities are so much superior. You guys have some really warped views of NYC, well aside from gun laws (which really are that bad) but its cool revel in your perceptions.

Massive taxes.
Yea you got that right.

Corrupt cops.
Considering we have a police force larger that some small countries ARMIES, yea that's to be expected.

Filthy streets.
Not in Manhattan, not really anywhere generally, except the really bad areas

High crime.
Not based on population, where one of the safest big cities in the world.

Besides gun laws what are you talking about?

Uh, yea your right on that one too,

Crazy traffic
Best mass transit system in the world arguably though

Massive crowds
Eh, I like people and hustle and bustle some don't. Personal preference.

Noise
Its not really that noisy.

The smell, man, the smell.
Oh that's just plain wrong. Were not New Jersey and please don't confuse the two again. There the one's that smell!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »
No one is "hating" on the city, unless you consider "not fawning in adoration" hating. But then, I suppose you do.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.