Author Topic: AP: Obama Chooses Kagan for Supreme Court  (Read 6249 times)

Marnoot

• friend
AP: Obama Chooses Kagan for Supreme Court
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »
Firstly, I was frightened by the picture my local news affiliate had at the top of the page:

Then I saw the headline.

Article from AP:
AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court
By BEN FELLER (AP) – 1 hour ago
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama will nominate Solicitor General Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court, a person familiar with the president's thinking said Sunday night.
The move positions the court to have three female justices for the first time in history.
The source spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision had not been made public. Obama will announce his choice at 10 a.m. Monday in the East Room of the White House.
Known as sharp and politically savvy, Kagan has led a blazing legal career: first female dean of Harvard Law School, first woman to serve as the top Supreme Court lawyer for any administration, and now first in Obama's mind to succeed legendary Justice John Paul Stevens.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
WASHINGTON (AP) — A person familiar with the decision tells The Associated Press that President Barack Obama will nominate Solicitor General Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court.
Kagan would be the third female justice to serve on the court at the same time, a first in U.S. history. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because Obama has not yet announced his decision.

The announcement will happen at 10 a.m. Monday in the East Room of the White House.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Anybody know anything about this person?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:00:47 AM by Marnoot »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: AP: Obama Chooses Kagan for Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:37:33 AM »
No judicial experience, little to no trial experience and a career in academia. What's not to like? [barf]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:54:47 AM »
No judicial experience, little to no trial experience and a career in academia. What's not to like? [barf]

Kagan is quite possibly the single worst candiddate for SCJ in the history of our country.  So, in their eyes, she's perfect.  They just got to check every single box on their "Best'est Peeple Evar!" list.  The smugness is almost palpable.

Five bucks says they use the "hates her because she's not pretty" card to nail the first person who disagrees.  You can rest assured they have the "being superficial and petty" defense prepped, rehearsed, polished, and poised for introduction at such time as deemed most detrimental for the opposition.  If not that it will be the whole "female on the SCOTUS" thing.  In either case they've thought this thing through pretty well, choosing a candidate with all the most revolting qualities.  They've found a candidate that gives them maximum opportunity to be "the good guys" as they refute and ridicule the opposition.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:10:17 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:00:46 AM »
So what are her actual views?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 03:02:06 AM »
Ilya Somin off the Volokh Conspiracy has some background on the lady, over here.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:40:27 AM »

But she's "politically savvy."

Is it just me or is it inherently contradictory to put someone on the SCOTUS bench for being deft politically? I was under the impression that SCOTUS was to remain as apolitical as possible.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:46:54 AM by kgbsquirrel »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 03:44:36 AM »
Anybody know anything about this person?

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/05/9750-words-on-elena-kagan/

Of particular interest:
In a 1995 review of Stephen Carter’s book on confirmation hearings, “Confirmation Messes, Old and New,” Kagan criticized senators for failing to ask, and nominees for refusing to answer, questions about their views on specific issues.  Senators ought to dig deeply, she contended, asking straightforward questions about both the nominee’s judicial philosophy and her substantive views on constitutional issues: “The critical inquiry as to any individual similarly concerns the votes she would cast, the perspective she would add (or augment), and the direction in which she would move the institution” (934)

Let's see if she complains about a lack of prying questions when she's on the spot.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:30 AM »
Imagine a candidate for the U.S. Senate who has never taken a public stand on almost any policy issue. Imagine that her campaign consists of asking people for their support because, according to friends and colleagues, the candidate is smart, fair, and good to others. When her friends are asked what her views are on various political matters, they reply that they don't know—but that they're confident she'd make an excellent senator.

This bizarre hypothetical closely resembles the actual campaign to put Elena Kagan on the Supreme Court. (The White House will reportedly announce her nomination on Monday.) Of course, a Supreme Court justice is not a conventional politician in the way a senator is, but being a justice involves making often controversial judgments about the...

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/blank-slate
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »
Imagine a candidate for the U.S. Senate who has never taken a public stand on almost any policy issue. Imagine that her campaign consists of asking people for their support because, according to friends and colleagues, the candidate is smart, fair, and good to others. When her friends are asked what her views are on various political matters, they reply that they don't know—but that they're confident she'd make an excellent senator.

This bizarre hypothetical closely resembles the actual campaign to put Elena Kagan on the Supreme Court. (The White House will reportedly announce her nomination on Monday.) Of course, a Supreme Court justice is not a conventional politician in the way a senator is, but being a justice involves making often controversial judgments about the...

Sounds a lot like Obama's early days, actually.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »
http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/05/9750-words-on-elena-kagan/
Let's see if she complains about a lack of prying questions when she's on the spot.

Yeah that.

Also, I'm concerned over what I've read of her views on "Don't ask, don't tell". Not her views precisely, as you can logically argue for or against, but her manner in presenting her views is very activist. Plus at age 50, she'd likely be an activist judge for a very long time.

Plus I'm not sure how happy I would be at having a career academic (from either party) in this role. I find them to generally have too narrow of a world view. They too often see the world as a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, when it is in fact a giant 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle with about 100 missing pieces that you have to make work. The former can be an asset in academia, but a liability in the Real World <TM>.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 10:26:46 AM »
Her "qualifications" are high grades in the anointed schools, the "right" political views, and powerful friends who provide coveted appointments that build a perfect bureaucratic resume.  That is what accomplishment has come to mean in what is increasingly a feudal and patronage-driven society.

We have so many people like this now steering society.  No wonder we are in trouble.  
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
Her "qualifications" are high grades in the anointed schools, the "right" political views, and powerful friends who provide coveted appointments that build a perfect bureaucratic resume.  That is what accomplishment has come to mean in what is increasingly a feudal and patronage-driven society.

We have so many people like this now steering society.  No wonder we are in trouble.  
It's the new aristocracy in a way.

Her picture makes me think of Pat from SNL.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 11:47:01 AM »
They too often see the world as a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, when it is in fact a giant 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle with about 100 missing pieces that you have to make work.

That's where you need an engineer.
"It's good, though..."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »
She is all resume and no cattle.  She may be a smart woman but her experience is classroom-bound.  There are a lot of smart people with great "credentials" that turn out to be a cascade of academic endorsements.  The bottom-line is that like the people who are famous for being famous, Kagan is of the type that is successful for being "brilliant" but owes her success really to be APPOINTED to a big job.  One big job leads to another..and another...and another, regardless of one's record.  What we know about Kagan, on the record, is that as Dean of Harvard Law School, she opposed military recruitment on campus.  So much for openmindedness, Harvard or no Harvard.  What I see is a woman who's lived in a Northeastern bubble all her life.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »
Dennis Prager has opined that Kagan has lived all of her life in a leftwing bubble.  From what I read about her I have to agree he's summed things up pretty accurately.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »
Watch out for the Harriette Meyers play.  Time will tell if she is the real candidate or if she just runs interference for the real candidate.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »
She doesn't have the obvious handicaps of Meyers in terms of "competency."  Who would you envision as her shadow?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »
She doesn't have the obvious handicaps of Meyers in terms of "competency."  

This article argues otherwise, at least as far as her limited experience is concerned:

When Elena met Antonin and Anthony

posted at 12:56 pm on May 10, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Most people who oppose Elena Kagan’s nomination to the Supreme Court will focus on either her defense of Harvard’s attempt to bar military recruiters from the campus or her lack of judicial experience.  However, as HA reader Frank points out, her record as Solicitor General will provide an argument on competence, too.  Kagan didn’t do her homework before arguing the Citizens United case on behalf of the Obama administration and the FEC — which her probably-soon-to-be colleagues on the Supreme Court wasted no time in pointing out.  It came at the very beginning of her oral argument, when one might expect a Solicitor General to attempt to impress the panel with her grasp of law and precedent:

ORAL ARGUMENT OF ELENA KAGAN

ON BEHALF OF THE APPELLEE GENERAL KAGAN: Mr. Chief Justice and may it please the Court:

I have three very quick points to make about the government position. The first is that this issue has a long history. For over 100 years Congress has made a judgment that corporations must be subject to special rules when they participate in elections and this Court has never questioned that judgment.

Number two -

JUSTICE SCALIA: Wait, wait, wait, wait. We never questioned it, but we never approved it, either.  And we gave some really weird interpretations to the Taft-Hartley Act in order to avoid confronting the question.

GENERAL KAGAN: I will repeat what I said, Justice Scalia: For 100 years this Court, faced with many opportunities to do so, left standing the legislation that is at issue in this case — first the contribution limits, then the expenditure limits that came in by way of Taft-Hartley — and then of course in Austin specifically approved those limits.

JUSTICE SCALIA: I don’t understand what you are saying. I mean, we are not a self — self-starting institution here. We only disapprove of something when somebody asks us to. And if there was no occasion for us to approve or disapprove, it proves nothing whatever that we didn’t disapprove it.

GENERAL KAGAN: Well, you are not a self-starting institution. But many litigants brought many cases to you in 1907 and onwards and in each case this Court turns down, declined the opportunity, to invalidate or otherwise interfere with this legislation.

JUSTICE KENNEDY: But that judgment was validated by Buckley’s contribution-expenditure line. And you’re correct if you look at contributions, but this is an expenditure case. And I think that it doesn’t clarify the situation to say that for100 years — to suggest that for 100 years we would have allowed expenditure limitations, which in order to work at all have to have a speaker-based distinction, exemption from media, content-based distinction, time-based distinction. We’ve never allowed that.

In fact, the crux of the case was the issue of limiting expenditures as an expression of political speech, not contributions.  Kagan started off her argument by misconstruing the issue and then offering a factually incorrect reading of precedent.  Both Scalia and Kennedy objected to it before Kagan even had time to get the argument completed, although as the transcript notes, she didn’t pay much attention to them.

Without any judicial experience, Kagan has to rely on her performance at the Court as Solicitor General over a short period of fifteen months — and at best, it’s mixed.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/10/when-elena-met-antonin-and-anthony/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:09:11 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Fox News labels her an "ultra liberal". Good article on their homepage about why Obama needs her to fulfill his "plan for America".

Also an article there about the Obama Admin changing a 76-year old rule to make it easier for airlines and railroads to unionize. The unions will be/are his henchmen.

Stay safe.
Bob

"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
So her qualifications are that she spent her life entirely within elitist/leftist bubbles, culminating with the top job at Harvard's law school?

Obama thinks this is a good background to prepare someone for the Supreme Court anything at all?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »
Obama knows her as a friend (he says).  He probably has a pretty good idea of where she'll come down on major issues--or thinks he does.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »
The same question I asked about the wise Latina. Any realistic chance of stopping the nomination?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
It seems not, but we can use it, as some have noted, as a "teachable moment" to expose the flaws in the nomination process and what the left's political agenda is.  Everything we can bring forward before November to clarify the entire cultural situation is critical.  If we don't spread some political shock and awe in the coming mid-term election and re-take at least one chamber of Congress, we are staring into the abyss in the next couple of years.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »
His strategy seems to be to pick the ugliest woman he can find who is minimally qualified (she has a law degree), to bait the Republicans into saying something insensitive so the Dems can paint them all as troglodytes.

It might work.  But I hope it backfires on him like David Souter did with GHW Bush.
"It's good, though..."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 01:02:08 PM »
Well, before it's done it may well come down to the Trogs versus the Progs.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.