Author Topic: Government Employed Vampire Prostitutes  (Read 1944 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Government Employed Vampire Prostitutes
« on: May 14, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »
Now, neither of these guys is "technically" an idiot so, the only conclusion one can come to is, they are swooping in on a tragedy to to feed on it for personal gain. They can't really be stupid enough to think this crap is not going to help doubleflush the U.S. down the proverbial crapper. They have to be getting some sort of "kickbacks" to try to pass this "newer, shinier" version of cap and tax so, therefore, I must conclude they are nothing but vampires and whores.

Kerry-Lieberman Energy-Reform Bill Adds Offshore Drilling Control

Posted:
05/12/10
Filed Under:Environment, Energy, Obama Administration, Climate Change, Oil Spill

As hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil continued leaking into the Gulf of Mexico Wednesday, Sens. John Kerry (D-Mass.) and Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) unveiled their much-awaited energy-reform bill, which includes a provision that gives states veto power over new drilling off their coastlines.
Overall, the bill aims to cut greenhouse gas emissions 17 percent below 2005 levels by 2020, and 83 percent by 2050, and to reduce American dependence on foreign oil.
"The American Power Act is a decision to seize this moment to transform our nation's energy policy from a national weakness into a national strength," Kerry said at a news conference. "It is a message to the world that America is ready to take back our role as the world's clean-energy leader."
The offshore-drilling provisions give coastal states with newly opened, federally leased drilling areas a portion of the revenues and, if environmental and economic impact studies find that a spill would put a state at significant risk, the state would have the power to outlaw drilling within 75 miles of its shore.
The bill's authors describe it as taking a "reduce and refund" approach to energy reform because it aims to reduce the country's carbon pollution, dependency on foreign oil and gap in clean-energy jobs with China, while refunding revenues to taxpayers once industry has transitioned to the requirements.
Like the energy bill passed by the House last summer, the Senate bill manages emissions reductions through a system of tradable allowances. Unlike the House bill, which sets a single cap for all industries, this bill applies only to the electric utility, manufacturing and transportation sectors and phases each of those sectors into the program differently. The Senate version also aims to produce cost certainty for businesses by setting upper and lower limits for the price of emissions allowances.
The energy bill faces an uncertain future in the Senate without its third original co-sponsor, Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina. Graham, the lone Republican supporter of the bill, withdrew his leadership late last month, citing concerns that Democrats wouldn't give the bill priority and that the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico would make off-shore drilling too controversial to be fairly handled right now.
"This proposal does not cater to the politics of the moment," Lieberman said. "But it will protect the future of our country and our families, and ultimately that is the best politics, because that is what constituents sent us here to do."
In addition to expanding off-shore drilling, the bill aims to boost domestic energy production by streamlining the process for new nuclear power plants and providing incentives to develop technology that would capture and permanently store carbon dioxide for widespread commercial use.
To meet the pollution-reduction goals, the bill also allows companies to purchase offsets from projects that aren't restricted by the cap. For example, farmers who plant trees on their property could sell offsets for the amount of carbon that those trees take out of the atmosphere. The bill aims to have three-quarters of offsets produced domestically, which alone would be at least a $1.8 billion market.
Many business leaders support the bill because it would substitute clear long-term requirements for the Environmental Protection Agency's regulation of greenhouse gas emissions under the Clean Air Act, which go into effect next year. It also would also invalidate state and regional programs such as California's cap-and-trade program.
Jim Rogers, CEO of Duke Energy, which has significant holdings in coal power, helped craft the bill and stood with the bill's sponsors on Wednesday.
"This bill helps get the transition right for the low-carbon world . . . in a manner that protects family budgets and protects American factories that depend on affordable power," Rogers said.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce led opposition to last year's House energy bill because it said the cost would put American businesses at a competitive disadvantage, but said it needed more time to review the new Kerry-Lieberman bill before taking a position.
The economic analysis of the bill expected from EPA in about month will include detailed cost projections.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:45:40 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Government Employed Vampire Prostitutes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 01:30:10 PM »
the state would have the power to outlaw drilling within 75 miles of its shore.

Ummm... what?

Territorial Waters: Inland and coastal waters under the jurisdiction of a nation or state, especially the ocean waters within 3 or 12 miles (4.8 or 19.3 kilometers) of the shoreline.

Soo.... they'll outlaw it and have no jurisdiction to enforce it after 12 miles.

So all it means is AMERICAN companies won't be able to drill there, but any foreign company can.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
Doesn't the EEZ extend further than that?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
Doesn't the EEZ extend further than that?

Ah ha. Yes, 200 nautical miles.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »
and the aussies declared a unilateral whale sanctuary in the antartic
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I